Counting fruits and veggies?

Options
124»

Replies

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Of course count them. There is no such thing as "free" vegetables or fruits. It is certainly personal how much one would eat them, but for me, if I would not count them an restrict myself, t would be very easy to eat 1000+ calories worth of grapes/bananas/oranges alone.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I ate 136 calories of fruits and veggies yesterday, and I ate less of them than usual, so I'd guess I normally average about 200 cals. If you are carefully trying to map a deficit, then logging everything that enters your mouth is important.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If I'm making a big salad with a million different vegetables I don't count the ones I know are like 10 kcal a serving. I still weigh them out but I don't log them because logging all the ingredients is tedious and I would have to eat a lot for it to make a difference.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Count them all... (but I understand the logic WW uses, & was a member a long long time ago.)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, you should count it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If I had a 250 calorie deficit, and I ate up to that 1500 calories without logging my vegetables, I'd almost end up in maintenance for the day. I eat at least 200 calories in fruit and veg every day.

So like log your fruits and veg.
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I ate 136 calories of fruits and veggies yesterday, and I ate less of them than usual, so I'd guess I normally average about 200 cals. If you are carefully trying to map a deficit, then logging everything that enters your mouth is important.

Agreed! Shortly after starting MPF, someone told me basically eat all the watermelon you want, because it's mostly water! I can literally eat a pound of watermelon. I learned that lb is 135 cals. Those cals count no matter how healthy they are.
  • monica_delarosa
    monica_delarosa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I count fruit but not nonstarchy veggies.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I remember at one point Weight Watchers started counting a point for some quantity of cooked carrots but the same quantity of raw ones was free. I assume this is because one can eat many more cooked carrots, and also the calories in them are more accessible in the digestive system.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Necro thread, but since I can hit 600 calorie or more a day in veg/fruit I definitely factor them in.

I'm actually surprised to see this necroed, since there's usually a fresh one on the first couple of pages. Always a WW refugee waiting in the wings.