What to do in a gym?

2»

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    My gym routine looks like this: 1 hr or so weights (however long it takes to finish my full body workout). Then 30-60 mins HIIT workout on the cardio machines, going with whatever I feel like at the moment and always switching it up. My rotations are rowing, stationary bike, spinning, stair climber, lateral X, elliptical. Finally I finish with core work and stretching on a mat. When my week training plan gets off track, it's weights followed by swimming. Those are my weight days. On non weight days it's same cardio followed by swimming.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Jpat0 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

I'm actually a student at the moment and cannot afford a personal trainer, I don't want to ask my parents for money either.

When I tried free weights, I felt that worked my body the best. So thanks for that tip!

As for running outside, I feel ashamed doing so because of my weight gain. I used to run 3-4 km every day when I was fit. I know I should just suck it up and do it, but until I lose some weight I really don't feel comfortable running outside. Actually that's one of my goals, to not be ashamed of running outside. It's also snowing a lot in Canada, but I feel that's just an excuse.

Cheers.

omg, you're adorable! You'll be fine. Tell that insecure girl in your head to get out of the way, because YOU'RE in charge now, and you're a strong young lady!! If you can't afford a trainer, go on YouTube and google some videos for certain exercises for certain body parts. I've learned a lot doing that. then go in the gym and show them who's boss!

You've got this, honey!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Check out your gym… a lot of gyms will offer at least one free session (if not more) with the trainer on staff. They can at least show you some of the machines and teach you proper form and give you some guidelines on lifting.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Talk to the trainers there and ask them to set you up with a starter program. they should do that for free. Alternatively have alook here at this workout.
    http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=20525

The idea is that you go into the gym with a plan, identify the machines, look at a video so you know the correct form so you can use it safely and effectively.

Once you make the adjustments to fit your body, seat height etc, then select an appropriate weight, start with the lowest and if its too easy, then move up. You are looking for a weight thats heavy enough so the last two repetitions are hard (not impossible) and they really require a lot of effort. everyone starts somewhere so its trial and error.

You then do a number of repetitions, which are grouped in sets, so 3 sets of 10 repetitions.

Make a note of which machine, where it is and what weight you were last on. Move to next machine. If you cnat recognise the machine from the workout ask a member of staff to help you. You should be able to get some assistance and advice for free or book yourself an induction.

The idea is you should have a workout printed out and know how to use the machine plus at what weight you are currently at. It doesnt matter if its the lowest weight as practice will mean you get stronger and then move up a weight.

Next time you go in the gym you will know which machines to use and what weight, this gives you a sense of direction and feeling like you know what you are doing. Focus on form and finding the right level where you are challenging yourself. Do not worry about others. If you keep this up then you will have a routine.

Print it out so you can tick it off as you go round. Finish with some cardio. you can warm up with 5-10 mins cardio as well.
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    Thank you everyone for your amazing advice! Gathering everyone's ideas, I have come up with a basic plan.

30 minutes of HIIT cardio (Elliptical or Treadmill to give my body some variety)
    30-45 minutes of weight training

As for the weight training, I have split my work outs into 3 days. One for upper body and abs, lower body and finish off with an entire body work out. I fill in the other days with my gym classes that are mostly cardio driven (e.g. body combat, body pump and body step). I also use the last day of the week to do an hour and a half of yoga to relax my body.

I need things to be really organized, so feeling lost at the gym was really frustrating for me. Thanks to all of your personal and website references, I have a good routine now. On a positive note, I have increased the weight for my biceps! It's the first time I've experienced a weight being too easy haha.

If anyone has concerns about the routine I shared and have suggestions for a better one please share. Once again, thank you MFP community for helping me out!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Thank you everyone for your amazing advice! Gathering everyone's ideas, I have come up with a basic plan.

30 minutes of HIIT cardio (Elliptical or Treadmill to give my body some variety)

As for the weight training, I have split my work outs into 3 days. One for upper body and abs, lower body and finish off with an entire body work out. I fill in the other days with my gym classes that are mostly cardio driven (e.g. body combat, body pump and body step). I also use the last day of the week to do an hour and a half of yoga to relax my body.

I need things to be really organized, so feeling lost at the gym was really frustrating for me. Thanks to all of your personal and website references, I have a good routine now. On a positive note, I have increased the weight for my biceps! It's the first time I've experienced a weight being too easy haha.

If anyone has concerns about the routine I shared and have suggestions for a better one please share. Once again, thank you MFP community for helping me out!

Do weight training before any cardio workout otherwise you won't get maximum energy on your lifts. :)
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Do weight training before any HIGH INTENSITY cardio workout otherwise you won't get maximum energy on your lifts. :)

Fixed that for you. Cardio is a great way to warm up your body, get your heart pumping and blood warmed up and flowing properly before any strenuous exercise.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    edited December 2014
    For purely safety reasons I would limit pre-weights cardio. You need to be completely fresh and not already experiencing any fatigue when you start your strength workout to ensure you will be able to perform the exercises with good form and minimize chance for injury. Warming up with some cardio (a few minutes worth) is great, but save the bulk of your cardio workout until after your strength training.

First of all: Ditch the randomization of hopping between machines and start following an actual program. Depending on what equipment you have access to there are a variety of good programs out there, but follow a program.

Secondly: Free weights are far superior to machines in every regard.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    For purely safety reasons I would limit pre-weights cardio. You need to be completely fresh and not already experiencing any fatigue when you start your strength workout to ensure you will be able to perform the exercises with good form and minimize chance for injury. Warming up with some cardio (a few minutes worth) is great, but save the bulk of your cardio workout until after your strength training.

First of all: Ditch the randomization of hopping between machines and start following an actual program. Depending on what equipment you have access to there are a variety of good programs out there, but follow a program.

Secondly: Free weights are far superior to machines in every regard.

This ^^^
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

Do weight training before any cardio workout otherwise you won't get maximum energy on your lifts. :)

Generally speaking I agree, but it depends on the person, goals, etc... and I hate blanket statements.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Wouldn't it be nice, if in life, we only had to lift things up when we were nicely rested? ;)