Greek Yogurt

Options
jenlaura
jenlaura Posts: 28 Member
Hi there, I'm wanting to incorporate more ways to use greek yogurt as a snack during the day, to meet my protein macros more easily. I generally dislike the taste of it by itself, finding it quite bitter. For instance there is no way I can use it as a replacement for mayonaise etc, but I can sweeten it up and enjoy it with jam or honey etc. Would really like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I always eat it with a banana and some raspberries and maybe some mix of nuts in it!
    perfect as breakfast or snack
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try adding some spices to it and use it as a vegetable dip. You could make it mexican with cumin, red pepper, and ground coriander.

Or mash it up with an avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My favorite was plain greek yogurt with granola, frozen blueberries or raspberries (allowed to thaw..i preferred frozen because they had more of a juiciness to them) and a little honey.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Try using vanilla greek yogurt,a frozen banana,vanilla,2 Tbl cocoa ,4-5 ice cubes & 1/2 C skim milk for a smoothie.Around 250 cals,high protein.I have this 4-5 times a wk.Sometimes the cocoa is replaced with 6-8 frozen strawberries.Add cals for any sweetner used.
  • 454mikey990
    Options
    I get a package of sugar free jello [flavor of your choice] and add 1/2-1 tsp to vanilla or plain to give me variety. That way there are no added sugars. I do the same with Kefir.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything :)

I make overnight oatmeal with it with some added fruit - generally 1/2 cup oatmeal / 1 cup greek yogurt and add in whatever fruit is on hand and no cooking the next morning (needs to sit a couple of hours) as breakfast is ready - I do generally eat it cold, but you can warm it up too.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You can buy Greek yogurt with fruit or honey or even sweetened with vanilla. I have to have at least honey in the plain stuff. If you want ideas of what to add in addition to sweetening, I use ground walnuts or a granola mix (honey and almond atm).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    half a serving of natural PB and a packet of splenda mixed in with plain greek yogurt with an apple is delish
  • andrew_in_va
    andrew_in_va Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's great with granola or berries. I also use it for smoothies.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree not a good replacement for mayo, but you can use it in place of sour cream. Works great in salad dressing, dips, on potatoes, on mexican food, etc. Great with cucumber, dill and garlic. Try using it in a mix of white and sweet potatoes.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ive said it before and i'll say it again. mix protein powder, or pb2 and stevia into it, a little bit of honey and lemon juice is great aswell
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the sodium, mix it with part of a Hidden Valley Ranch envelope. Used thick, it is a great dip. Thin it with a little milk and it's great on salads. Make sure to chill it a while.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like it mixed with some nut butter, or jam, or chestnut cream (if you can find it). Lately I've been eating it with apricot jam, raspberries, and some granola, and it's fantastic.

But I agree that if you don't really like it, just find something else to eat.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I sometimes mix in frozen raspberries...if you add a generous amount of raspberries, they will sweeten the yogurt without adding any sweetener. I also sometimes add a lot of cinnamon...either by itself or with the raspberries. This tastes amazingly good. If I really want a treat, I add cinnamon (A LOT), raspberries, and a drop or two of vanilla extract.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    GRANOLA!!! and you dont need a lot...just a tablespoon or two!
  • AdelleDazeem
    AdelleDazeem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always eat at least 2%, never nonfat. I am much more satiated and the increase in calories is worth it. I cover the top with blueberries and drizzle a little honey on it. I'll also use it instead of sour cream in lots of things (but not mayo).
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies, to replace sour cream on potatoes and mexican dishes, and also put fruit on top with granola.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I put formerly frozen mixed berries and pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sometimes peanut butter and a little sugar free maple syrup. Sometimes a little homemade granola...sometimes it goes in a smoothie
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like making a tortilla chip dip...at minimum, equal parts light sour cream and non-fat Greek yogurt (or slightly less yogurt if you're not super keen on it) and drizzle legit Mexican hot sauce from the bottle over it. I like Valentina (sold at Wal-Mart). Snyder's (the co. that makes pretzels mainly) has some awesome reduced fat tortilla chips that even my health-averse BF will eat. I've doctored up the base mix with chili powder, taco seasoning, chopped cilantro, onions, 2% shredded cheese, or refried beans from the can depending on what's in the house. This could literally be just dinner for me on a lazy night.