BACON!!!

Options
I have a question. . .why turkey bacon? It has only 10 calories less per 2 slices and more sodium than regular. All the other numbers were pretty close. . . So why choose turkey bacon? I am fairly new and just trying to understand. . .thanks

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have a question. . .why turkey bacon? It has only 10 calories less per 2 slices and more sodium than regular. All the other numbers were pretty close. . . So why choose turkey bacon? I am fairly new and just trying to understand. . .thanks

Uh, you're jewish and don't have access to lamb "bacon"?

I honestly don't understand the different types of bacon aside from lamb and pork. I also don't get the bacon fetishizing, but I've started a small little side gig where I'm selling bacon I cure for about $10 a pound. Not bad.
  • tameroo2
    tameroo2 Posts: 21
    Options
    MrM27. . .you may be my hero of the day!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon -
    1, has lower soduim
    2. has lower fat
    3.It is a bit healthier

but both types of bacon are processed meats that are cured with sodium nitrate. A study performed by the American Institute for Cancer Research clearly showed that regularly eating processed meats containing sodium nitrates, including turkey bacon and regular bacon, increases the risk of developing certain cancers. Turkey bacon and regular bacon are best enjoyed occasionally, and should not be part of your everyday diet
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon ISN'T bacon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Turkey bacon is just a way that the food manufacturers are able to trick dieters into thinking they are doing their body a favor, much like 100 calorie pack snacks and diet sodas.

Just eat real bacon. Your taste buds and your stomach will thank you.
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I believe it has something to do with saturated fats and blood cholesterol levels...Turkey is s'posed to be better in that area, but if you have a clean bill of health in that department then go for the pork...me I LOVE bacon and I even like turkey bacon, so going with the wise Socrates who said, "Everything in moderation. Nothing in excess." I rotate between both! :bigsmile:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon -
    1, has lower soduim
    2. has lower fat
    3.It is a bit healthier

but both types of bacon are processed meats that are cured with sodium nitrate. A study performed by the American Institute for Cancer Research clearly showed that regularly eating processed meats containing sodium nitrates, including turkey bacon and regular bacon, increases the risk of developing certain cancers. Turkey bacon and regular bacon are best enjoyed occasionally, and should not be part of your everyday diet

Everything causes cancer these days...

Especially in the US where every single group of food haters fund research that discovers new ways for us to die while eating.
  • AFilmer
    AFilmer Posts: 22
    Options
    i eat bacon every morning. does no harm to me. as long as you are not eating excessive amounts of it its fine. and you don't have to eat turkey bacon, its not even real bacon.

as long as you burn the bacon off it is no issue.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon -
    1, has lower soduim
    2. has lower fat
    3.It is a bit healthier

Everything causes cancer these days...

Especially in the US where every single group of food haters fund research that discovers new ways for us to die while eating.
    In the group (quartile) that consume lots of processed foods including meats may have increased chances of some cancers, which is not to be confused with people that normally eat healthy whole foods and processed meats.....Europeans are the king of processed meats so I would lean towards those studies, which I haven't bothered with because bacon rules.:happy:
  • MrBillson
    MrBillson Posts: 5
    Options
    1. The research which suggests sodium should be avoided is very inconclusive, and more recent research indicates that there is virtually no risk in consuming high sodium.
    2. Fat is an essential macro nutrient, why would you want to avoid it?
    3. How so?
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon -
    1, has lower soduim

Actually many of the turkey bacon brands are HIGHER in sodium...just sayin'
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

because people want to feel like they are eating better. doesn't matter that they aren't.

same reason for them ordering veggie burgers -- which are, many times, far more packed with scary sodium and far more processed than a straight-up burger.

and there is no such thing as turkey bacon. really.
  • tameroo2
    tameroo2 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I compared Plumrose bacon and i think it was Oscar Mayer turkey bacon and i came home with plumrose. Just wanted to make sure i was not crazy.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Oscar Mayer turkey bacon is terrible. You have to research more than two brands though... that's quite a small sample to make a sweeping statement on, isn't it?

Applegate Farms is my turkey bacon of choice. 35 calories a slice, 6g of protein. Applegate Farms' pork bacon is roughly the same calories, has 2g fewer protein, and 90mg more sodium.

I have nothing against pork bacon. I just don't generally eat pork. Or any other meat besides fish and chicken. A preference, is all.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    lol reminds me of when I was visiting my parents and mom made tuna sandwiches - my mom is always on some diet or another and if someone says it is better to eat such and such she does.

I asked if she had used light mayo in the tuna (I am not a fan, I would prefer to use less of the real stuff) and she did so I looked and the "light" mayo was full of high fructose corn syrup.

I did the same thing when I was looking for salad dressing, I read the ingredients of the normal dressing and then the light or no fat stuff and I still can't tell you what was in the low fat other than most of it wasn't actually food
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Hi... my name is Ron... <group in unison, "Hi, Ron!">
    It's been about 6 months since I've given up turkey bacon cold turkey! #PunIntended
    I used to eat turkey bacon (TB) instead of pork bacon (PB) for 3 reasons, less fat, less sodium, and less shrinkage #giggidy. However, last year I discovered "Wright's" brand maple PB!:love: Although it has more fat, it has similar sodium levels and shrinks far less than other PB products! I have tried other, cheaper lower-sodium PB :noway: but have always come running back to Wright's! <slight tear in one eye> I'm.... so... happy!:sad:

:laugh: <starts singing, "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing, Baby!">:laugh:
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    The answer is you don't choose turkey bacon. Eat pork bacon. It's the right way to do it.
    I eat bacon everyday.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want as long as you love it.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon has more protein, less fat