Feel like I'm hungover?

Options
About 9 months ago I got into taking Les Mills Body Combat classes at the Y and stopped about 6 weeks in (my infant son wasn't sleeping so I took a break). I have been working back into eating better and staying active so I decided to catch the Monday night class last night. The class has definitely increased intensity since I last remember. I've felt woozy before from hard workouts but never like this. We would do a song or two upper body and by the end I could barely make my arms move, and then the same happened with lower. During the high cardio song after that I started noticing things getting dark and I felt unusually hot. The song ended and I went to the hallway to cool off and realized that I was really fighting to not pass out. I sat down for 5 mins and felt better so I finished the last 10mins of class and took it a little easy (my body was pretty spent anyway).

The class was at 530pm. At 3 pm I had a bowl of old fashioned oats with berries in it. I meant to have PB toast an hour before class but my son was cranky and I forgot. Right after class I came home and had dinner: 2 stuffed peppers (1/2c quinoa, 1/8c black beans, some cheese, some tomato sauce in each one) and then I mixed up a shake (shakeology with berries and milk) and brought it to bed. I was passed out by 830pm.

This morning I woke up feeling terrible. I expected sore muscles. My muscles for now feel fine...but my head is pounding and my stomach isn't really off, it just feels weird. I feel like I went out for cocktails last night. I don't feel like I'm sick, I think it's from last night. I will say I was drinking water throughout the day, I had about 16oz before class and during class I drank another liter, and had a glass when I got home.

I would like to stay with this class. I do enjoy it, it is fun and it is a really awesome full body workout. Is there anything that I can do to help minimize this "hit by a truck" feeling, or even keep from near fainting? Maybe I wasn't getting enough carbs? Any advice is really appreciated.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    maybe you are just sick ….?

how many calories per day do you consume?
    what is your breakdown of carbs/protein/fats?
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I definitely am no expert on what you went through. I would just say to take it easy during the class. Maybe it was too much too soon after the break. You could tone down the intensity in the class by going at your own pace, taking breaks when you need to and drinking plenty of water. You may also want to talk with your doctor to see if anything is going on with your body. Good luck to you.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at a goal of about 1380. I usually eat closer to about 1700-1800 and my breakdown is usually about 50% carbs, 25-30% fat/protein (it will alternate depending on what I ate that day)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    well it does not seem like you are under eating …and your carbs are definitely not low…

It could be that you are coming down with an illness like a bug or something and that is why you feel bad???
  • Slasher09
    Options
    I'll keep an eye on it, that would[ be the easiest solution. There is a good chance I am just being over-paranoid. I'm prone to low-sugar episodes and migraines so I am probably just psyching myself out.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to check your heart rate when you had to quit? It definitely sounds like you over-did it... I used to have this happen during particularly grueling spinning sessions--I would give myself a migraine and then be useless for the next day or so. I found that by wearing a HRM, listening to what my body was telling me (if it feels like you're overdoing it, you're overdoing it), and also adding some Gatorade for a small kick of sugar during the workout helped me immensely.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    well it does not seem like you are under eating …and your carbs are definitely not low…

It could be that you are coming down with an illness like a bug or something and that is why you feel bad???

Tend to agree with this. Exercise shouldn't make you feel sick the next morning, even if it's high intensity.
  • Slasher09
    Options
    I didn't count it, but I did feel it and it was pretty fast. I am not in very good CV shape yet haha. I didn't think about trying gatorade during. That is a good idea
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye on it, that would[ be the easiest solution. There is a good chance I am just being over-paranoid. I'm prone to low-sugar episodes and migraines so I am probably just psyching myself out.

I thought it sounded like low sugar. I would talk to your doctor about it. Do you have a glucose meter? You might not be psyching yourself out. It's better to check than work out and pass out.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    I didn't count it, but I did feel it and it was pretty fast. I am not in very good CV shape yet haha. I didn't think about trying gatorade during. That is a good idea

If you are prone to actual low sugar episodes..adding gatorade..or anything high sugar would not be wise.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

Occam's razor
  • Slasher09
    Options

I thought it sounded like low sugar. I would talk to your doctor about it. Do you have a glucose meter? You might not be psyching yourself out. It's better to check than work out and pass out.

I don't at home. I used to check it at work as a family practice nurse. That's where they caught it. I've had labs done, I'm not diabetic, just can get low sugar sometimes (as low as 57...usually when I feel crappy It would be low to mid 60s). I do like the pp suggestion of having some gatorade for a sugar kick during. That could be a big help. i have another class weds...worth trying all of these tips
  • blktngldhrt
    edited December 2014
    Options
    57 is pretty low. How often do you think you go below 70? What tests did they do, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm only asking because I have reactive hypoglycemia and it's important to control. Spikes in insulin (which can be caused by both food and exercise in some people) leading to lows on a regular basis are not good for your body. Im not saying you have the same problem..but it sounds like it's worth looking into.

As for a sugar kick..if you do have a form of hypoglycemia, a sugar kick will help for a short period of time followed by another blood glucose drop..which is not ideal.

When my sugar drops I also experience things going dark, feeling like I might pass out, rapid heart beat.. Plus shakiness, tingling in the tip of my nose and my fingers, extreme sugar cravings, extreme hunger, slurred speech, irritability, brain fog, fatigue..etc. The symptoms aren't the same for everyone. If I go low enough, I will feel hungover for a good 8-16 hours.

EtA: maybe try having protein with your carbs before a workout. I know you didn't have time last time but it might be very helpful in your situation.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that, in addition to all other things mentioned, that you were dehydrated?

A couple of months ago I taught a class, showered & ran out to a football game. Had seats in the sun, a couple of drinks (not water) & felt like I had a hangover for 2 days.
  • Slasher09
    Options
    57 is pretty low. How often do you think you go below 70? What tests did they do, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm only asking because I have reactive hypoglycemia and it's important to control. Spikes in insulin (which can be caused by both food and exercise in some people) leading to lows on a regular basis are not good for your body. Im not saying you have the same problem..but it sounds like it's worth looking into.

As for a sugar kick..if you do have a form of hypoglycemia, a sugar kick will help for a short period of time followed by another blood glucose drop..which is not ideal.

When my sugar drops I also experience things going dark, feeling like I might pass out, rapid heart beat.. Plus shakiness, tingling in the tip of my nose and my fingers, extreme sugar cravings, extreme hunger, slurred speech, irritability, brain fog, fatigue..etc. The symptoms aren't the same for everyone. If I go low enough, I will feel hungover for a good 8-16 hours.

EtA: maybe try having protein with your carbs before a workout. I know you didn't have time last time but it might be very helpful in your situation.

I don't know how often I go that low now, I haven't worked in the office for about a year. I had an eating disorder for over 10 years, so I always thought that I felt crappy because I wasn't eating or making myself sick. Then I was noticing it was still happening even when I was recovered. For the most part dietary changes have helped a good deal. I know now that I can't get up for the day after not eating all night and eat sugar cereal. If I really have a craving for something like cinnamon toast crunch, I do better when it is eaten after a meal. I also don't eat a ton of breads/pasta because I notice that I feel "off" an hour or two after eating them. I do eat them occasionally, but I pair protein/fat with it

I had an A1C drawn at the time and it was about 4.7 and my average sugar reading was about 74. They drew an insulin level next to make sure I wasn't making too much, which I wasn't so that was good (good have meant a tumor)

Usually my main issues are if I eat a very small dinner, and then the next morning eat some sort of high-sugar food with no protein, or if I have been eating too little. I don't have them often anymore, maybe a couple times a month. But yes, when it goes down I do get blurry vision, things get black, I feel nauseated and foggy and I am very short-tempered and grouchy.

I honestly have never thought to compensate sugar when exercising before because it's just never been an issue, I just have always made sure to have a dinner ready to eat when I get home from the gym or I just don't work out that hard. I would rather know that I can still do higher-intensity workouts by making up for it with more fluids/snacks than not do it so I really do appreciate the input
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Consult your doctor. The last thing you need is to pass out and crack your head open on the floor.....always better safe than sorry.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Drink a large glass of chocolate milk.

Report back.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    pscarolina wrote: »
    Is it possible that, in addition to all other things mentioned, that you were dehydrated?

This is immediately where I went. I feel shaky and am prone to getting headaches when I haven't had enough water before working out.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

I don't know how often I go that low now, I haven't worked in the office for about a year. I had an eating disorder for over 10 years, so I always thought that I felt crappy because I wasn't eating or making myself sick. Then I was noticing it was still happening even when I was recovered. For the most part dietary changes have helped a good deal. I know now that I can't get up for the day after not eating all night and eat sugar cereal. If I really have a craving for something like cinnamon toast crunch, I do better when it is eaten after a meal. I also don't eat a ton of breads/pasta because I notice that I feel "off" an hour or two after eating them. I do eat them occasionally, but I pair protein/fat with it

I had an A1C drawn at the time and it was about 4.7 and my average sugar reading was about 74. They drew an insulin level next to make sure I wasn't making too much, which I wasn't so that was good (good have meant a tumor)

Usually my main issues are if I eat a very small dinner, and then the next morning eat some sort of high-sugar food with no protein, or if I have been eating too little. I don't have them often anymore, maybe a couple times a month. But yes, when it goes down I do get blurry vision, things get black, I feel nauseated and foggy and I am very short-tempered and grouchy.

I honestly have never thought to compensate sugar when exercising before because it's just never been an issue, I just have always made sure to have a dinner ready to eat when I get home from the gym or I just don't work out that hard. I would rather know that I can still do higher-intensity workouts by making up for it with more fluids/snacks than not do it so I really do appreciate the input

A1C isn't really helpful to a hypoglycemic. heck, I'm hypoglycemic and mine was 5.3 a few months ago because it's an average and doesn't account for sudden drops (or slight highs because said hypoglycemic had been binging on candy rather than dealing with her lows correctly :( ). Did they draw blood for the insulin levels after you had fasted? If you have reactive hypoglycemia (which kind of sounds like it based on how you feel after eating certain foods) your A1C and fasting insulin, and even glucose levels, could be normal. My insulin levels only get too high after I've eaten because I am 'reacting' to the carbs I've ingested. Only when I had a 5 hour glucose toleranceI test and dropped to 47 with an insulin level of 102, did they formally diagnose me with reactive hypoglycemia. That was 12 years ago and after unexplained fainting episodes (the doctor wouldn't listen to me until I started passing out)

If what you're doing now (aside from the recent exercise issue) is helping you feel fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But, if you continue to have a problem with exercise (after adding protein with your carbs) or feel funky more often than you would like..I would invest in a glucose monitor and test your bg when you feel bad, record the numbers (and what you've eaten), and show a doctor if you're consistently low. Cvs has a monitor called true2go that's inexpensive and pretty stinking accurate (it's actually free with a mail in rebate..as is their trueresult model) and you can get 100 test strips for it on Amazon for $16-20..which is the cheapest I've found.

(if you do test and fund your bg is low often) I know diabetics correct low blood sugar with sugar (like gatorade)..but unless you feel like you're going to pass out or see that youre in the lowish 50s..thats the last thing you need. It just causes a roller coaster effect and you will only feel good until the inevitable drop. So, if you do need it and use it..its best to follow with protein and fat. They make glucose tablets for emergencies. A high protein lower sugar granola bar is a good choice. I use Quest bars because my pancreas is really messed up and I can't have sugar anymore without issue.

Best of luck. Sorry if I seem overly pushy with the hypo crap. I've just lived it for such a long time without much help (your story sounds very similar to mine) and don't want to see someone else go through the same.
  • Slasher09
    Options

Best of luck. Sorry if I seem overly pushy with the hypo crap. I've just lived it for such a long time without much help (your story sounds very similar to mine) and don't want to see someone else go through the same.

I dont find it pushy at all. I really, really love the advice. Most people I know or have worked with in a medical setting deal with hyperglycemia so it's not that often that I get to speak to someone who has first-hand experience with hypo.

I don't remember if my insulin was drawn fasting. And you are right about sugar spikes. The doctor used to buy me a big bottle of OJ, which would help for about 40 mins and then I would feel worse, so I started doing a cup of milk, PB crackers and a fruit cup over 20-30mins and that would help.

I have a class tomorrow at 930am. I do have a pretty good dinner planned tonight, and I'll make sure to get in a good breakfast with a snack on the way to class, lots of water and milk or something to carry with me in my bag if I need to.