Secret Santa.....who does it and do you enjoy it?

Options
Silentfool
Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
I have come here for a rant, after the third year in a row of a completely pants secret santa present. I can vent here as I am the only one form my office on here... well fingers crossed lol

who buys a 45 year old male the smallest nerf gun in the world and a book on victorian insults. ffs. everybody else in the office got alcohol. grrrrrr

rant over and merry Christmas for when it arrives

Replies

• laurasuzie3
    laurasuzie3 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Maybe your secret santa is a Mormon? ;)
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    We do it every year at work and it's great fun!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I hate it... Nope nope nope.
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Silentfool wrote: »
    the smallest nerf gun in the world and a book on victorian insults.

Sounds alright to me! B)

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have had my share of secret santa's whether it be for work or family. I think it is all ridiculous. I am buying a present for someone I know nothing about. Of course, I get that in return - something I pretty much set a side for this years garage sale.

I mean, there is ALWAYS that 1 person who doesnt really care, will buy junk or "jokes" presents and then there is typically the 1 person who gets butthurt over it. I think it is so stupid. I think christmas should be about everyone bringing their own booze to the party and everyone can share in the DRINKS! At least then it is worth the money.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Working at a public high school, there is no chance of alcohol for me (although, it's the only gift that I want). However, my secret santa did get me a wall mount bottle opener! Pretty sweet, if I didn't already have one mounted in the garage. But I thought it was really thoughtful. Looking forward to what comes next.

I should say this is my first secret santa experience and it's been alright, so far.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    When I worked in a larger group we would always have a Yankee Swap gift exchange. Somehow I always had my hands on the best gift and it would inevitably be stolen from me.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Or, an even better idea - a donation pot. Put all of that money you would spend on junk towards a family charity choice for the year. Same with work parties - put it towards the local SPCA, Childrens Hospital - whatever works for the group.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Secret Santa at place of work, but only if you "wish" to participate. For those who do, the dollar figure limit is given. But still, really people? You want to buy yet ONE more present? there are budgets out there where a family member gets something less because of idiotic "office participation".

As for *your* gift, OP? I'm thinking it was a re-gift. What a stupid gift you got, no offense. It'd piss me off too.

....for the "Chinese gift exchange" or the "round-table gift exchange" -- those who participate at the parties, I always purchased something I NEEDED then made sure to get my own gift back.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    My old office used to do the White Elephant gift exchange, where we'd clean out our attic or closet and wrap up the crappiest item we could find. There was an old meat grinder that went around the gift exchange for a few years. That was always fun.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    lol some great stories
  • dakotababy
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    My old office used to do the White Elephant gift exchange, where we'd clean out our attic or closet and wrap up the crappiest item we could find. There was an old meat grinder that went around the gift exchange for a few years. That was always fun.

OMG I love this idea! :) At least then everyone knows everything is re-gifted from past secret santa's. haha.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I haaaaate secret Santa. The one time we did it at work I got a cocktail shaker...I don't drink!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    They do it at my office but I don't and won't participate. Some people think I'm a humbug which really isn't the case...I love Christmas...but the whole secret santa thing just annoys me...and I'd honestly prefer to spend my hard earned $$ on my kids and my wife than some rando at the office.

That said, I do get my employees gift cards (because they are my employees and I have a relationship with them) and I participate in the booze exchange...because I'm giving booze and also getting booze in return so win/win.