working out calorie content in homemade recipes

Options
owenclarke30
owenclarke30 Posts: 12 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
hi just trying to workout the calorie content of say the likes of vegtable soup. am i correct in thinking if i add up the total content of all the ingredients i use and then if there is roughly six portions i just divide the total by six to get the calories per portion?

Replies

• Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, but to make it easier, why don't you use the recipe builder on the MFP site? That's what I use and that way I also have a database of all my favorites.
  • 454mikey990
    Options
    YOU ARE CORRECT.
  • owenclarke30
    owenclarke30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, but to make it easier, why don't you use the recipe builder on the MFP site? That's what I use and that way I also have a database of all my favorites.
    just did , so much easier, thanks
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder has also help me tweak some of my Christmas cookie recipes.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, that works for *most* recipes. There are some where it won't work so easily, for example, making broth where you strain out the liquid from the other ingredients, or certain types of marinated or fried foods where you drain out the excess oil or sauce. Those are tricker; I usually just estimate on the high side to be safe.

By the way, the recipe builder was redone by MFP a few months ago and is a royal pain in the *kitten* now. They still provide access to the old builder, though you can't edit recipes with it anymore.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I take it a step further and weigh the end product and divide that number by 6. Then I know exactly what a portion is.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    btc1987 wrote: »
    I take it a step further and weigh the end product and divide that number by 6. Then I know exactly what a portion is.

Great idea!