Weight gain after going off low carb diet even with calorie counting

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well after another day of gaining yet another pound after eating 1500 calories I threw out my scale out of sheer frustration. Yesterday without the scale I ate 1180 calories. I think seeing the number on the scale was giving me anxiety and making me want to eat more. From now on I'm going to go by my clothes and keep to around 1200-1300 calories a day, eating healthy and doing my Leslie Sansone walking dvd's 4x per week. I hope to see some improvement in the coming months as this 30+ weight gain on my 5'2" frame is a lot.

How accurate is your food logging?

You weigh all foods that go in your mouth?
    Calories is per gram, not cups or spoonfuls.

Also, since you are short, you have much less room for movement between reasonable and just creating extra stress for your body, which will just add to water weight and body adapting.

For someone with 2500 daily maintenance with easy exercise, 500 deficit is 20% and easy to eat 2000 still.
    If yours is 1750 maintenance, then 20% is only 350, and 1400 may even feel very small.
    So 250 cal deficit may be better.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    maxpow99 wrote:
    You might not be eating enough calories, putting the body into a "starvation mode" causing you to hold onto extra calories.
    No.
    There is such a thing as starvation mode, but it takes a lot to get there... long-term VLCD.

That leads to the body using up its carb stores (which are the first source of energy), using up its fat stores (which are the second source of energy), and starting to use protein (muscle) for energy (which is a distant third, because it's inefficient AND can lead to death when the heart & diaphragm can't work).

You will NOT "hold onto extra calories". Your body needs calories to run. It will use whatever energy it has available.

51637601.png

Where do you find that carb is first source of energy, and fat is second?

In terms of what is used as % of fuel through the day, you'll find that fat far outstretches carbs. You'd have to get up to about mid-aerobic level exercising for carbs to finally surpass fat as fuel source, until that time, fat is used more.

Or are you doing the math with those facts differently to get your comments.

Agree that the effect that goes with starving from not eating does not apply to starvation mode from body adapting.
    But you should see some more recent studies where even a 25% deficit causes the mode, not VLCD only is required.