Gained 4 pounds in 10 days ?

Options
becess96
becess96 Posts: 57 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I was in week 7 of Insanity and during the 7 weeks I lost 20 pounds (went from 170 to 150) but then I woke up one morning and I couldn't even raise my shoulder over my head so I had to stop doing Insanity, I went to the doctor and I'll have to do some rehab, which means no exercise (Insanity, weights, anything) for a couple of weeks. I was eating 1200-1500 calories during those 7 weeks and after I stopped doing Insanity (about a week ago) I was still eating the same food as before and I gained 2 pounds and then yesterday I was 152 and today 154 and I was wondering if my metabolism is reaaaally slow (my BMR is 1775 calories, and my TDEE about 2300 calories, cause I'm pretty active during the day) Also, I gained 1 inch in my waist, and almost an inch in my arms (went from 14 to 15 inches in a week ? What ?). Is this water retention ? Maybe I ate too many carbs and salt that made me retain this much water ? Any help would be appreciated
I would also like to add that during the first 4 weeks of Insanity I was drinking about 1-2 gallons of water but then I asked here on the forum if I really needed to drink this much water and people said just drink when you're thirsty so I went to like half gallon a day and some days even less (I don't know if this detail is helpful haha)

Replies

• njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Then walk... Walk at a brisk pace between 4 and 4.5 mphs and you will burn plenty of calories. Do it for at least an hour. Keep moving.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    A quick search in these forums shows about 12,468 people with the exact same issue, and for all of them the answer is the same:

1: You didn't gain that much weight.
    2: Body weight fluctuates 3 to 5 pounds a day for any number of reasons.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    1. Your weight can fluctuate by 1-5lbs in a given day its natural.
    2. You may just be eating more than you think. Weigh your food and record it accurately.
    3. The requires amount of water is 2l, but you just need to drink enough to stay hydrated. Check the colour and it needs to be light straw or less.

Be patient and see what happens next week. Any extra movement such as walking will help.
    You need to follow your Drs advice and rest till you heal up properly.
    Sounds like you overdid it.
  • becess96
    Options
    Thank you vorgas, but what's up with the 1 inch gain in my waist and arms ?I'm absolutely sure you can't gain an inch in your arms in a week
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    njmark72 wrote: »
    Then walk... Walk at a brisk pace between 4 and 4.5 mphs and you will burn plenty of calories. Do it for at least an hour. Keep moving.

I second this! Walking is a great form of exercise.
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You said you are injured. Did your doctor happen to give you a steroid shot, or oral steroids? Because that will cause serious retention.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I believe your TDEE, if you aren't able to exercise, but as long as you are eating less than your TDEE, you will lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention.
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think you've answered your own question in your post? You know the possible reasons - it's probably one of them! I've 'lost' 3cm from my waist in 3 weeks so I'm sure it's possible to gain it back as quickly. Just get back into your usual routine and you'll be fine I'm sure. As long as you don't let those 5 lbs become 10 then 15 etc, you've nothing to worry about.
  • becess96
    Options
    Alright, so I was 156 two days ago and I started to worry, then I was 153 yesterday and today I'm 151 so I guess it was just water weight. (I didn't actually do anything, I kept my diet and my water intake the same). Bodies are a weird thing huh ? :smiley: