Having trouble losing weight now - how did you over come / what are your fitness routines?

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    There are loads of people who spend a lot of time in the gym who are over fat or othrewise not as lean and mean as they could be...because weight loss doesn't happen in the gym...fitness happens in the gym and fitness makes creating an energy deficit easier, but weight loss (and weight control in general) is largely about your consumption.

When you consume a balance of energy for your stats and activity level then you will maintain your weight...if you consume more energy (calories) than your stats and activity require then you will gain weight...if you consume less energy (calories) than your stats and activity require, that energy deficit has to be compensated for by using stored energy (fat)
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    I've been at this weight loss thing for nearly 6 years. I lost most of my weight in 2009-2011 (109lbs.) by dieting and just walking/running for exercise. This fall I didn't exercise much, and started losing after what seemed like a 2+ year plateau. I didn't gain during this period of rest, and for anytime I've taken "rest" I've always gained. This time I focused on the food, and not on the fitness. Fitness is important but you gotta know your macros, and go from there.
  • I've been at this weight loss thing for nearly 6 years. I lost most of my weight in 2009-2011 (109lbs.) by dieting and just walking/running for exercise. This fall I didn't exercise much, and started losing after what seemed like a 2+ year plateau. I didn't gain during this period of rest, and for anytime I've taken "rest" I've always gained. This time I focused on the food, and not on the fitness. Fitness is important but you gotta know your macros, and go from there.
    Oh I'm so glad its started to work out for you again! Thank you
  • cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There are loads of people who spend a lot of time in the gym who are over fat or othrewise not as lean and mean as they could be...because weight loss doesn't happen in the gym...fitness happens in the gym and fitness makes creating an energy deficit easier, but weight loss (and weight control in general) is largely about your consumption.

When you consume a balance of energy for your stats and activity level then you will maintain your weight...if you consume more energy (calories) than your stats and activity require then you will gain weight...if you consume less energy (calories) than your stats and activity require, that energy deficit has to be compensated for by using stored energy (fat)

I've heard that before, that weight is mostly to do with your food consumption and quality, beginning with steady tracking today, I've eaten 1,370 calories. After setting a new projected goal I need to be eating around 1,600 (woah) and should burn 1,100 a week.

So I'll try this and see how it goes! thanks every one
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Don't even worry about burning xx number of calories, because its going to be difficult to figure out your true burns. Personally, I would eat the same number of calories daily (this is the TDEE method), weigh your foods and log daily, and then watch weight loss over a 4-8 week period. Once you know average loss, then we can figure out your real TDEE.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    start tracking, eat at a deficit and you'll lose.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You need to track your food. It's very easy to underestimate how much you are eating (logging is nice but you also have to weigh it to be really accurate), and the calorie counts on machines at the gym are often inflated. To give you an idea, 45 minutes of stationary bike only burns 220 calories for me (low resistance, 14-16mph speed)... I can easily eat twice that just for breakfast.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    When you're at a "plateau" it just means you're at maintenance. If you want to lose more weight, you'll have to reduce your intake or increase your output. It's almost always just that simple