Tips to help Bench Press/OHP?

Options
So, I am doing Stronglifts 5x5, and I feel like my Squat/Deadlift/Row (doing Pendlays) are pretty good so far at 210x5/220x5/130x5. I've been able to hit 225 on both my Squat/DL for a single rep without dying feeling like I had a good amount of weight to spare, so I'm guessing my 1RM for those is somewhere around 240 - 250. However, my bench, and overhead press are severely lagging behind at 125x5/70x5.

I've been looking into it a little, and have seen that tricep work might help, so I have been adding a 3x8 tricep pushdown to my normal routine. I've only been doing this for a week though, so it's too early to tell if it is helping.

Anyone have suggestions for any other exercises that I could add on in addition to help out with my bench/ohp?

I realize that I'm cutting while losing a bunch of weight, so I know that will play a factor, but it just feels like those lifts, especially my bench, should be higher.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    for chest; chest flys, dips, decline and incline bench
    for shoulders; lateral dumbbell raises, straight dumbbell raises, incline bench

are you OHPin and benching in the same day?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'll let more experienced/knowledgable people offer more detailed advice, but a few thoughts...
    • OHP is hard for everyone. You should still be able to make progress, but don't expect it to be at or near the same weight as your other lifts.
    • Bench is a much more technical lift than most people realize. Check some youtube vids on setup and lift technique.
    • Both lifts, actually all the lifts you're doing, are compound lifts, meaning they work multiple muscle groups. So the lifts will be limited by the weakest link. While bench primarily works the chest... lat, shoulder and tri work will help.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Dips, pull-ups, lat pull downs, and skull crushers. Pause benching helps a lot too.
    Do you use leg drive when you bench, OP?

It's hard to make progress on the OHP, but what helps for upper body lifts is increasing the frequency of days you do them. The upper body tires out slower than the lower body and recovers faster, so you can get away with benching/OHP for 3x+ a week.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Try bands. Practice exploding with lighter weight to help the initial part of the OHP lift.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »
    for chest; chest flys, dips, decline and incline bench
    for shoulders; lateral dumbbell raises, straight dumbbell raises, incline bench

are you OHPin and benching in the same day?

Nope. I bench on Row days, and OHP on DL days.
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Dips, pull-ups, lat pull downs, and skull crushers. Pause benching helps a lot too.
    Do you use leg drive when you bench, OP?

It's hard to make progress on the OHP, but what helps for upper body lifts is increasing the frequency of days you do them. The upper body tires out slower than the lower body and recovers faster, so you can get away with benching/OHP for 3x+ a week.

I try to leg drive as much as possible, but could definitely see myself doing it incorrectly.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making videos and having someone check your form? This is a good place with a lot of experienced lifters:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    I did not know that group existed. Thanks!
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This might help :

She has the best explanation of leg drive that I've found. Her bench is insane-- 309+ lb. at 135 bodyweight. Woman crush. :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say without seeing a video but that's a pretty big disparity in your pressing versus pulling. I would also be curious to see how much "english" is going into your rows.

You don't need a ton of assistance exercises to get stronger, much of the above is overkill. With StrongLifts you're either benching or pressing twice per week depending on your timing. You're a very new lifter still so you sure as hell don't need accommodated resistance (bands / chains), you just need to get better at pressing because you're not very good at it right now and that's okay everybody has to learn.

General tips...
    - Review videos on form and make sure you're using your entire body to stabilize yourself
    - - leg drive in the bench
    - - core activation in both
    - - hand placement (may need to narrow or widen depending...)
    - - correct breathing, very hard with the press
    - - look at how fast your reps are, you might consider doing a 1-sec pause at the end of the eccentric movement before you press

- Improve your core strength. You'll be surprised at how much you can improve your lifts by doing that, squatting & DL'ing does not solve all core strength deficiencies. It doesn't have to be a lot either, one or two exercises is more than enough.

- Super-set ONE lat exercise with pressing exercises (pull-downs or chin-ups)
    - Super-set ONE pressing assistance exercise with the rows or DL. (Kickbacks give you STD's, don't do them - Dips are great for helping improve both pressing exercises)

Pressing definitely gets very involved and most don't realize. Your Triceps are largely the prime movers and then other muscles come into play (bench - pecs, delts / press - delts / traps) and are very much supported by the lats.
  • erocks308
    Options
    OHP is one that I find is most form dependent for me. Rip's book gave me some very good insight on where I was losing efficiency.
  • erocks308
    Options
    But, you're certainly not alone. Both of those lifts progressed slower for me. Much slower.
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, and the video. :)

I don't think I'm leg driving as much as I should be, or arching my back as much as needed either. I will try to incorporate those.
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    It's really hard to say without seeing a video but that's a pretty big disparity in your pressing versus pulling. I would also be curious to see how much "english" is going into your rows.

What do yo mean by "english" exactly?

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I don't think I'm leg driving as much as I should be, or arching my back as much as needed either. I will try to incorporate those.

How much momentum are you getting from your legs and upper body to get the bar going? I'm just asking, not meaning to be rude, because there is such a huge difference between your Pendlay Row (220 x 5) and your Bench (125 x 5)
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options

How much momentum are you getting from your legs and upper body to get the bar going? I'm just asking, not meaning to be rude, because there is such a huge difference between your Pendlay Row (220 x 5) and your Bench (125 x 5)

I might have typed something incorrectly, but my Row is at 130 x 5. My DL is at 220 x 5.

I don't believe I generate much, if any momentum from my legs with my rows. I try to be extremely mindful of that while performing them.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    omg this is the correct discussion board for me too!!
    I am basically a fail when it comes with pushing motion!

I can deadlift 315 on good days and squat 250-265 but benching is 170lb and OHP stuck on 120-25lb.

I try to incorporate the correct form e.g. for benching pinch shoulders in and down with slight arch followed by leg drive (still need to sort this out) but I still cannot perform the lifts properly to make me progress. For OHP, similar form as bench where I pinch and drop shoulders and go into lift tight but struggle big time as well. Any advice additional to the ones given would be a god send! o:)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I might have typed something incorrectly, but my Row is at 130 x 5. My DL is at 220 x 5.

I don't believe I generate much, if any momentum from my legs with my rows. I try to be extremely mindful of that while performing them.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense to me then; I may have misread your post. With that being said, you most likely just need to work on your form. With the Bench you probably need to be a lot more stable and use your legs to help provide some of that stabilization. Also, get a little core work in; a set or two of front planks or side planks for time a couple times a week is plenty. Aside from that make sure you're eating and recovering well and you should be fine. You don't need anything crazy, Dips or 1 triceps assistance exercise at most, to improve your bench and press. You'll get it, those are the hardest to progress in general.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    krhn wrote: »
    omg this is the correct discussion board for me too!!
    I am basically a fail when it comes with pushing motion!

I can deadlift 315 on good days and squat 250-265 but benching is 170lb and OHP stuck on 120-25lb.

I try to incorporate the correct form e.g. for benching pinch shoulders in and down with slight arch followed by leg drive (still need to sort this out) but I still cannot perform the lifts properly to make me progress. For OHP, similar form as bench where I pinch and drop shoulders and go into lift tight but struggle big time as well. Any advice additional to the ones given would be a god send! o:)

If you are benching 170lbs, OHP of 120lbs sounds about right. Actually that's a pretty ratio. I can't match that ratio with my bench / OHP
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Considering I bench 315 and my OHP (Military press, no legs) is 175lbs I don't think you are doing bad at all. There is a ratio out there but I could not find it right now. I think you are progressing just find. The key is just keep doing them..the numbers will go up, especially doing 5x5..I exploded on that program.
    Good luck
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't really see any problems with the numbers posted in this thread (krhn too). You're not gonna be able to bench and OHP nearly as much as you can squat/dl and you're not gonna progress nearly as fast with them either. If your squat and DL are only in the low 200s for reps then a bench in the low 100s for reps is typical. I don't know how long you've been lifting (not very long I'm guessing) but that's a very normal ratio.

If you want to bench 315, that's cool, but by the time you get there your squats or DL will probably be in the 500+ range (assuming equal dedication) and your OHP will probably be low low 200s. It's gonna be a few years of hard training between now and then though.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I don't really see any problems with the numbers posted in this thread (krhn too). You're not gonna be able to bench and OHP nearly as much as you can squat/dl and you're not gonna progress nearly as fast with them either. If your squat and DL are only in the low 200s for reps then a bench in the low 100s for reps is typical. I don't know how long you've been lifting (not very long I'm guessing) but that's a very normal ratio.

If you want to bench 315, that's cool, but by the time you get there your squats or DL will probably be in the 500+ range (assuming equal dedication) and your OHP will probably be low low 200s. It's gonna be a few years of hard training between now and then though.

I guess so, I mean I officially stuck to lifting 1 and half years ago although it was more geared towards bodybuilding therefore never really focussed on 5x5 until a few months back - its just a bit degrading to see that physique wise, I am quite muscular in this sense (relative to what I think obviously) but see people half my size lift as much if not more than me... Oh the mind loves to play games :sweat_smile: