Souper easy egg drop soup

Options
aerome
aerome Posts: 171 Member
edited December 2014 in Recipes
I'm a little obsessed with this right now. Great way to get in the extra protein if you don't have a lot of calories left for the day AND it's really easy and really fast. And you can customize it to fit the macros you need. You could also easily modify this, adding in veggies (I'm considering spinach next time), spices, whatever you want!

What I do:

2 cups of Wild Oats organic chicken broth (they make a reduced sodium, but I have to add salt to make the soup taste good, anyway, but if you don't need the salt, go for it!)
2 eggs
1/3 cup liquid egg whites (don't always use this if I don't need the extra protein)

Bring broth to a boil.

While that's happening, whisk your eggs together really well. I find doing this in a measuring cup is nice, and makes the next step extra easy.

Once broth is a rolling boil, slowly pour in the eggs while whisking them into the broth. Let it boil a minute or two while whisking to let all the eggs cook.

Enjoy!

Depends on your exact ingredients, but mine totaled:

200 cal, 1g carb, 9g fat, 25g protein

Replies

• kitsteroo
    kitsteroo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE egg drop soup! Can't wait to try this :)
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Tagging to try, thanks
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Add some chopped scallions too--mmmmm. Would be a good addition to when I make stir fry, too (just wouldn't make all of it, maybe 1/2 ), since my hubby likes to get wonton soup & egg rolls from the supermarket when I do stir fry. This would be a lighter option
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    Tagging to try, thanks

Okay I cooked this up tonight and also added the scallions and some fine chopped green pepper. It turned out very good and I enjoyed it. I used Trader Joe's low sodium chicken broth.

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this before but am intrigued ! Love soup

Does anyone know how many egg whites = 1/3 cup liquid egg whites ? thanks
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    1 egg white = 17 calories, 3 = 51 calories. 3 tbsp = 25 calories, 6 tbsp = 50 calories, so 6 tbsp = 3 egg whites. 1/3 cup is actually 5 1/3 tbsp (about 45 calories) so 1/3 cup is APPROXIMATELY 3 whites. (I'm good at calculations ! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh I have to try this. I love egg drop soup.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    MaryCS62 wrote: »
    1 egg white = 17 calories, 3 = 51 calories. 3 tbsp = 25 calories, 6 tbsp = 50 calories, so 6 tbsp = 3 egg whites. 1/3 cup is actually 5 1/3 tbsp (about 45 calories) so 1/3 cup is APPROXIMATELY 3 whites. (I'm good at calculations ! :)

Wow !!!

thank you ! :D
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Saved it to my recipe folder. Thanks.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Having some now. I used College Inn low sodium broth and 2 eggs. Other than letting it boil over (oops) and losing some of it, it's pretty tasty, thanks!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So people buy some soup and drop some egg in it or am I missing something? Why not make it from scratch?
    http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/egg-drop-soup/
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Love egg drop soup! Now I can just make it myself anytime. Thanks for posting. :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    So people buy some soup and drop some egg in it or am I missing something? Why not make it from scratch?

That one uses chicken stock too, what's the difference? It just adds more stuff...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That one uses chicken stock too, what's the difference? It just adds more stuff...

Evidently both just the same, taste and cooking something from scratch nothing to do with it, enjoy
  • Francl27
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Evidently both just the same, taste and cooking something from scratch nothing to do with it, enjoy

Ok let's ask again - what's the difference? One has chicken stock and eggs. The other has chicken stock, eggs and other stuff... Why is the second one 'cooking from scratch' and the other not? Because it has more ingredients? Does that mean that if I make a plain omelet, it's not cooking from scratch because I didn't add cheese and veggies in it?

Either way, cooking from scratch would be making your own stock, which neither of those recipes ask you to do. And I really couldn't care less, frankly.