Amazed

Options
Oddly finding following this way of eating not as difficult as I thought it might be. Of course, it's been less than a week. BUT being accountable to this food diary IS making a difference. Finding I don't need to eat nearly as much food as I thought. And eating less of pretty much anything is keeping me satisfied. Even my husband is working with me and he's doing better, too. Not that he needs to lose nearly as much as I do. But it can't hurt! The dietitian from the bariatric surgeon's office told me about this site because I was waffling on having the surgery. If I can keep this up - ah-hem. As I keep up with this eating lifestyle, I will not have to even consider the surgery. I fell off big time Saturday, but got right back. I will get it under control. I will. Let's do this. ;)

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you are feeling positive about using MFP. Blowouts are common during the silly season. Keep logging and you will get better.

PS You might like to fill in your profile.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. (*) Good luck on your journey. <3
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Its perfecly ok to have occasional bad days. The secret (which I think you have discovered) is that you just keep going the next day. The reason why so many of us failed before was not because we had one bad eating day. It was because we had the bad eating day, got angry and frustrated, told ourselves that we couldnt do it and then gave up. We are all only human and I think you are off to a great start!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    What a great start. I do hope MFP will work for you so you can avoid surgery altogether.
    Yup, we all have an off day- you just log it and carry on as normal the very next day.

I am saying this very early in your journey, but once you are comfortably settled into calorie counting for weight loss, try adding a bit of cardio for Cardiovascular function, walking is great, and resistance/ weight training to preserve your muscles, body or hand weights are fine to begin with.
    The above will improve your general health and contribute in a small way to your weight loss.
    Some people start exercising once they have lost their weight, but if you start earlier you will find you will be physically stronger at the end because you didn't lose the muscle you already have and have to rebuild it.

Keep up the good work, both of you.
    Cheers, h.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're off to a good start. Take each day as it comes. I don't know what a bariatric surgeon is, but I'm guessing the one that puts a lap band in? If so, if you can do without it that would be great. My cousin has one and it helped up to a point, but she fools around with her food intake anyway and stalled about 50lb from her goal.

When it comes down to it, it's all about moderation and the long haul.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out the success stories forums. They can be very inspirational. I have noticed that those who are successful long term tend to have a few things in common- they don't do elimination diets (cutting out carbs, fried foods, dairy)- they eat what they want in moderation and log everything and fit it into daily calorie goals, they log and weigh everything they eat, they take it slowly and are patient, they celebrate those non-scale victories, they exercise doing something they love (including weights usually), and most important- they never give up. You can do this without surgery. Surgery is not only expensive but has its own risks (which I'm sure you are aware). Good luck to you.
  • musclerevive
    Options
    Congrats on making the change to track your calories. It's definitely a step in the right direction. Take it one day at a time, and don't let one "cheat day" ruin your progress. Just remember where you want to be, and go for it. Don't let anything stop you, not even yourself.
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your encouragement. Just now actually learning how to use this site even though I've been logging in with food and exercise for six weeks now. Had not seen these replies before! This is absolutely great to get so very much encouragement from people who have been there! And since I'm so late in responding, many of you will probably not even see this. :( But I would love to have each of you as a friend so that I can keep up with you and hear your stories and daily activities. And as I stated to begin with in the original post, I have found this program amazingly easy to follow. I no longer consider myself to be 'on a diet' as I have always done before. This has become a lifestyle in our household. And I weighed this morning and I've LOST 16 POUNDS! OMG!