Not New But Starting Over - Need Diet Help

I've had a rough 1.5 months, hit by one sickness after another (two stomach bugs, one that lasted longer than 2 weeks, gall stones, and two head/chest colds). I want to start over again, and I feel like I'm ready to really devote myself to this whole-heartedly. Before I was counting calories and working out 5-6x a week. But I was doing calories in=calories out, treating them all equally. I want to try to start eating cleaner, on top of getting back to working out. I don't know if I can entirely cut out refined sugars and carbs, but I want to make an effort to cut them back dramatically. I have no idea where to start or how to do this in a way that is realistic for my family (who aren't willing to to on the journey with me) and our budget. Any meal plans that are flexible and affordable are what I'm looking for. Point me in the right direction?

Replies

• Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    edited December 2014
    i use the http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator website, it really helped me to get control of my carbs, i am in no way a low carb person but i have my things set so its a balance for me, i dont cut anything out specifically but as i have gone along i have learned that the fruits and veggies and protein taste alot better than the "junk" and i can eat alot more of it. its like a food budget and calories are the currency. i want the biggest bang for my buck. its worked for me and hopefully will steer you in a direction that you feel comfortable.

edited to not sound as wonky lol
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    I am a big believer in flexible dieting. There are no "bad" foods that will make you gain fat, especially carbs. People get into trouble by simply eating too many calories for what their body can burn through in a day. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

As for macros, a great place to start is 40% protein and carbs and 20% fat. See how that works for you and don't be afraid to make some changes if you need to. That's what I did to drop my 64 lbs in 9 months. You can do it too. It just takes time and consistency in both nutrition and a good exercise regime.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to message me. I'm always happy to help.

Allan
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    Word to the wise....the phrase "eating clean" tends to send people on this site into a fit of hissing rage for no clear reason. So just be forewarned...you will get a bizarre amount of misplaced negativity simply by trying to eat healthy food.

That said, I totally get where you're coming from. Calories in = Calories out would work even if your diet consisted of Twinkies and potato chips, but it wouldn't be healthy. It wouldn't provide good nutrition. There are no "bad" foods, but there are foods that provide relatively little nutritional value (ie, lots of calories but no vitamins/minerals to speak of), and there are foods that contain questionable ingredients (like petroleum products in artificial colors).

And the fact of the matter is, most whole, "real" foods are going to be less calorie dense than processed crap. You'll feel more full eating foods with natural fiber still intact. You'll feel more satisfied if you're getting all of the nutrients you actually need. I read a study, I'll see if I can find it to link it...but basically, the study suggests that part of the reason we eat so much over our calorie needs is that our bodies are starved for nutrients, so our bodies aren't getting the "fullness" response they want.

So, yeah, all things moderation...no need to demonize food of any kind, but there are zero things wrong with wanting to eat more healthy food, and anybody who might ever pressure you about that or be negative needs a reality check.

Sorry. Getting off my soapbox now.

Good luck to you! And feel free to add me...I cook a lot and try to gather a variety of good whole-food recipes that I'm always happy to share!
  • I am in exactly the same boat...although mine has been more laziness than illness! I want to get back on the bandwagon and shift these pounds! It's driving me crazy. Any help is good help and I welcome it all!!!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    When I think of eating clean, I think of eating healthily. When you're about to eat a meal think is this good for my body? Hopefully it also tastes good. Is it full of crap you don't need? Then not so clean or healthy. I just ate a really healthy homemade black bean burger with a totally processed store bought bun. Oh well. Good and bad. Then I had five Hershey's kisses. Only five. That was an improvement for me. I'm learning moderation. Do the best you can, to be the best you can be!