Dry brushing?

Options
I know that it won't help me lose weight and that there are no quick fixes. I just started because a friend reccomended it. She said she did it through out losing weight to help prevent baggy skin. Like I said, I know there is no magical quick fix, but wondering if anyone else does this and if so do you think it is helping? Even if it won't help, I'll continue because I like how it is making my skin look.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I know that it won't help me lose weight and that there are no quick fixes. I just started because a friend reccomended it. She said she did it through out losing weight to help prevent baggy skin. Like I said, I know there is no magical quick fix, but wondering if anyone else does this and if so do you think it is helping? Even if it won't help, I'll continue because I like how it is making my skin look.

that's what makes it worth it :grinning:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

that's what makes it worth it :grinning:

It really does! I feel like it has been helping my stretch marks because they are certainly fading (not sure if from brush or something else). I also used to have pimple like bumps on upper arms (not poppable and always there). Not sure I am describing those very well. Anyway since I started I have noticed those are going away as well. So either way it is totally worth it :).
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've never tried dry brushing but it is supposed to help improve the look and feel of skin, might give it a go one of these days, glad it's working out well for you. :)
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while because I heard that it was good to do when losing weight. It never became a habit but now that I'm back to losing weight I intend to pick it back up again. Glad to see that you are seeing some benefits though.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    dry.....brushing? Sorry made me think of dry humping.

LOL! that made be snort at my desk!
    I am not even sure what dry brushing is!!! but shamefully i do know what dry humping is :smiley:
  • rita4453
    rita4453 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is dry brushing?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Please explain exactly what you are doing to your skin, I'm not familiar with dry brushing
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I know it as an art term, I'm not familiar with how you do it do your body. I have those bumps on my arm, it would be nice to get rid of them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    rita4453 wrote: »
    What is dry brushing?
    rita4453 wrote: »
    What is dry brushing?
    It's where you stroke your skin with a soft brush and know you did it right when your left leg starts to uncontrollably pound the floor, everyone knows that.

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I looked it up, and it is just what it says on the tin, you get a firm natural bristle brush and start at your feet and brush your body, towards the heart, it claims it helps with circulation, skin gets tighter, exfoliates etc.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can see the benefits. Like you said, it is not magic but the increased circulation might help. And, the exfoliation is an immediate benefit.

Good luck.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes I do it twice a day and ive noticed my thigh fatty deposits have shrunk I also found my stretch marks appear faded and skin much softer and tighter I do circles around the abdomen too I dry brush then bath or shower then moisturise
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I am too impatient to spend time brushing my skin lol. At least to do it enough to make a difference. If anything it will at least give you softer skin from exfoliation! I spent half a day at a spa getting brushed and stuff smeared all over me and my skin felt amazing for a few days!
  • makeupandthings
    Options
    I don't know if it helps prevent baggy skin, but I really like how my skin feels after it. It's better (and cheaper) exfoliation and my legs and arms absorb the body cream better after it, so I guess I end up looking better from the exfoliation and hydration.

From what I read the only way to avoid baggy skin is to lose weight at a slow, regular pace and exercise, but I may be wrong.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I am too impatient to spend time brushing my skin lol. At least to do it enough to make a difference. If anything it will at least give you softer skin from exfoliation! I spent half a day at a spa getting brushed and stuff smeared all over me and my skin felt amazing for a few days!

It literally takes me 2 minutes before showering.
    I know it as an art term, I'm not familiar with how you do it do your body. I have those bumps on my arm, it would be nice to get rid of them.

You use a natural bristle brush and softly stroke your skin in the direction of your heart.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Natural bristles towards the heart?

Synthetic bristles interfere with the magic I suppose.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not a histologist, but it don't see how brushing my skin can add elastin to it, so I don't see the point in doing it to make my skin shrink. But it certainly cannot hurt, so if someone wants to try it, why the hell not?

If it exfoliates, that's a good enough reason to do it. Kind of like a mud mask. :)
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have the patience to try this more than once. However, if I ask my husband to do it....wait, I think he may get distracted before getting close to my heart. Nevermind
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Dry Brushing
    It is supposed to stimulate the skin and circulation. This in turn may help the skin cells produce more collagen and replace themselves at a faster rate. This may improve the skins elasticity.
    I know about it because it is also supposed to help relieve canckles when travelling.
    Sorry I can't remember where I got the info it was so long ago.
    Cheers, h.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think it could hurt to try. Anything that may help with loose skin and cellulite, especially in such a simple way is worth a go. As others have said, if nothing else it will make you silky smooth