Will accuracy with macros speed up weightloss?

Options
Hi everyone :smile:

So, so far I've lost almost 17 lbs (7.7 kg) by simply decreasing my calorie intake. I haven't been exercising more, neither have I been eating healthier, I've simply just cut down on my portion sizes.

I used to be very much into counting macros, but atm I am not. My question is - would it be benefitial for a better weightloss to start counting macros? Would it make a difference in the amount of mass lost etc?

Thanks.

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    In this to see what is said as I was wondering the same, but think the answer might come back that balance is important but not vital.... or more protein if you want more lean mass, but I will be interested to see the replies.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    The hard part is finding the best macros for our own specific cases perhaps but I guess that is the trial and error part. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For weight loss alone, calories is all that matters. For muscle mass, satiety and and energy, macros are needed. For general health, an overall micronutrient rich diet is preferable.

I have chosen not to focus on macros because when I tried it, it stressed me out and I did not want to diet anymore. I have lost 100 pounds so far. So, no. It's preferable for health and other reasons, but when it comes to weight loss calorie for calorie the difference is minimal.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    im in the no camp as all my weight and im down 3 dress sizes has been down to cutting calories I do exercise to feel good and sculpt and weights to tighten up and drink tons of water
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    No, it basically comes down to calories. A wide range of macro variance will generate the same results when calories are held constant.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories=weight loss, macros=nutrition
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel good, lose weight, and be healthy - pay attention to your macros in addition to your calorie count.
  • greencar98
    greencar98 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Help! I've started paying attention to macros in this last year's journey to lose weight and be healthy. How do I determine what my macros should be? I've always been a calorie counter but at 1000 calories a day I could NOT budge an ounce. Lowering my carbs and increasing my fat/protein have been my focus lately. Have Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. What do I need to focus on to lower both?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    greencar98 wrote: »
    Help! I've started paying attention to macros in this last year's journey to lose weight and be healthy. How do I determine what my macros should be? I've always been a calorie counter but at 1000 calories a day I could NOT budge an ounce. Lowering my carbs and increasing my fat/protein have been my focus lately. Have Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. What do I need to focus on to lower both?

You should start your own thread with a clear title, rather than piggybacking on a super old (2014) post that is mostly people who aren't here anymore.

In brief: The default MFP macro percentages are generally reasonable for a lot of people, if they're eating adequate calories. Eating 1000 calories a day is likely to be too low for any adult - even for weight loss - unless extremely petite, very inactive, non-young, among other things. Eating too little is counterproductive to weight loss, because of things like reduced energy (perhaps subtle) so less movement, and stress-induced water retention.

Your best bet with both diabetes and high cholesterol would be to get a referral to a registered dietitian for specialized advice, rather than turning to us random idiots on the internet.