Struggling with maintenance!

Options
Hey everyone,

I am currently in transition from weight loss to maintenance after following a very restrictive diet. I've lost two stone but after restricting myself too much (800 calories per day) towards the end, I went a little bit underweight so am currently trying to creep my calorie intake up and to stop losing weight and just maintain for now.

I have upped my calorie intake 100 calories per week like people have suggested and have just reached the 1,300 mark and am feeling incredibly bloated all the time and "fat". I feel like I am gaining but I do not weigh myself very often so cannot tell. I definitely look fatter and my clothes are tighter in a mere couple of weeks, but according to MFP I should be eating 1,550 to maintain with little exercise, but I seem to be gaining on under this amount!

Other websites have suggested I should be eating 1,800 calories and some 1,300... so I am so confused. This is so much harder than just losing weight! I am 5 ft 2 & weigh 98lbs. Please anyone with experience in maintaining their weight help me!

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    At this point, it may be a good idea to see a professional (as in a certified nutritionalist). Best of luck!
  • getrealforme
    Options
    I am the same height as you, and have weighed what you weigh. You should be eating around 1600 - 1800 calories to maintain
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Very often, when you restrict yourself to a VLCD you mess up your metabolism and have a difficult time maintaining as you will put weight on rather easily. I am no expert on this, but you might need to do a metabolism reset and then approach maintenance.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I think I replied to another post about this you started but your diary is closed so we can't tell if you might be feeling more bloated due to the types of food you are eating or not.
  • coop52
    coop52 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sound like you're holding on to water weight to me. Watch your sodium intake and drink plenty of water.