Consuming and Buring Calories, help!! Does anybody eat over there goal and burn off the extra calori

I was wondering if anybody else does this for example I was thinking
If I eat 1700 calories a day and burn 500 – 700 calories would it have the same effect of eating 1000, 12000 calories?
My goal to lose weight is 1200 calories I’m only 5ft and i know there is a massive discussion that 1200 isn’t healthily but I can’t lose if I eat more I have tried it so I’m wondering if I eat what I want in moderation (1,700 and burn off 700 to make up for it)
I usually eat 1200 and burn off 200-300, but I find it very difficult.
Thanks.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    You'd really want to "net" 1200 a day. So if you eat 1200 & burn off 200-300 then you are actually under the amount they advise. I'd eat 1500 on the days you'll burn 300 then you'll net 1200. And of course the days where you don't do any exercise, eat 1200. I'm 5'11 and I find it pretty easy to limit myself to 1500/day. I think you'll be fine! Good luck!
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    MFP sets this up so your Net intake is your calorie goal. Net = Total consumed - exercise. So if you eat 1700 and burn 500 then you net 1200 which is your calorie goal. Eating 1200 and exercising 200-300 is only netting 900-1000 calories which isn't healthy so try to at least net around 1200 calories going forward. Good luck.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Yeah, pretty much what kristen said. In fact, I'd recommend exercising and eating more - you'll probably like your results better that way. Maybe not, but probably.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    If push came to shive then eating 1200 v 1500 - 300 exercise, then I would choose the latter because exercise has benefits other than straight calorie burn.

I think you can manage ok on 1500 a day, so its up to you whether you want to eat your execise calories back and how much as %.

There are plenty of people who do 1200, which is the minimum, but the important level is the one you can manage consistently.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You have to bust your rump for a couple hours every day to burn 700 calories at your size. It's really counterproductive for a lot of reasons. Eat sensibly and it's not necessary to work out much more than an hour unless you are an athlete in training.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I think you'd have a hard time burning that many calories on a regular basis. I work out hard for an hour and only burn 300-- I can't imagine doing twice that much on a regular basis. You could probably eat more than 1200 and still lose at a good rate. What are your stats?
  • lchadwick2
    lchadwick2 Posts: 49 Member
    What you may be experiencing by eating the fewer calories is your body being in self preservation mode. It will actually hang on to fat cells if you don't eat enough. I agree with what others have said here, I just hadn't heard the reason why you may not be losing weight explained yet.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Yes, you can burn off the extra calories. Just be careful not to overestimate the calories you burn during your workouts. (Many people feel that MFP tends to estimate burns on the high side.)

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with a net 1200 calorie goal at your height and size, either. You're relatively short and small and you don't have all that much weight to lose.

You may decide that, instead of focusing on high intensity cardio, to scale that back a bit and focus on body composition through strength training. You'll probably be happier with the results.