Black Bean Brownies

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    To all those saying they won't be low carb, why not? 12g carbs and 11g net carbs, seems pretty low. If the post above saying a typical brownie is 25g carbs is true then this cuts it by more than half. What is considered a low carb dessert?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To all those saying they won't be low carb, why not? 12g carbs and 11g net carbs, seems pretty low. If the post above saying a typical brownie is 25g carbs is true then this cuts it by more than half. What is considered a low carb dessert?

Oh yea that recipe you found is lower carb then the one I use (at 26g carbs)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I see Serah87 and JoRocka beat me to it, but just the thought of black bean brownies makes me sad :(
    Don't get me wrong... I love black beans. I LOVE brownies. But putting the two together is right out!

I'll admit I'm skeptical and think it sounds odd. But I'll try anything once and certainly won't knock it without a try.

That's fair... I have considered making them just to try them- but I'd never replace brownies out and out LOL.

But you are right- trying at least once is usually a fair shake down.

(PS my black beans for lunch were tasty)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I see Serah87 and JoRocka beat me to it, but just the thought of black bean brownies makes me sad :(
    Don't get me wrong... I love black beans. I LOVE brownies. But putting the two together is right out!

I'll admit I'm skeptical and think it sounds odd. But I'll try anything once and certainly won't knock it without a try.

That's fair... I have considered making them just to try them- but I'd never replace brownies out and out LOL.

But you are right- trying at least once is usually a fair shake down.

(PS my black beans for lunch were tasty)

Nor would I. Replace regular brownies, I mean. But then I don't have diabetes.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love brownies. I have yet to find a great vegan and gluten free one. I'm always looking for ways to up protein, so if I do make brownies, they are the black bean CCK recipe. (Check out her garbanzo bean chocolate chip blondies. They are amazing.)

My verdict on the black bean brownies? They aren't brownies, they aren't amazing, but they are good. I top mine with hot strawberries to make it more dessert like. If I was able to eat normal brownies, I would eat normal brownies instead if I wanted a treat. However, the nice thing about the bean based desserts is that they just don't seem to set off the same cravings to keep eating, so they aren't a bad thing to have around.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    whoa... sounds crazy enough i might try some... but i never thought i'd see the words: "black bean" and "brownie" in the same sentence lol

might i recommend cottage cheese and jell-o packets for another low-carb dessert if you haven't tried already? it's actually pretty tasty if you don't mind the cottage cheese texture. i've seen people add pineapples and such to it for extra mmph.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    whoa... sounds crazy enough i might try some... but i never thought i'd see the words: "black bean" and "brownie" in the same sentence lol

might i recommend cottage cheese and jell-o packets for another low-carb dessert if you haven't tried already? it's actually pretty tasty if you don't mind the cottage cheese texture. i've seen people add pineapples and such to it for extra mmph.

I love cottage cheese. But, I'm looking for something more dessert like, not just something sweet. If that makes sense.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »

I love cottage cheese. But, I'm looking for something more dessert like, not just something sweet. If that makes sense.

understandable. much luck to you with the brownies. :) i think i shall give it a whirl myself.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I tried them. I wanted to add some protein to my desserts - I was having a hard time getting enough in without just eating chicken and fish all the time.

Did not like. There's a funny aftertaste to me. But, to be fair, this is also the reason I don't eat products with soy ingredients - similar odd aftertaste. I think it has to do with expecting one taste and getting another. I have no problems with straight-up soy (edamame or tofu) as long as it's not trying to be something it's not.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    but.

why?

It's a quest. Family members with out of control diabetes have tasked me with creating a low-carb meal they will enjoy. The meal part is easy, but dessert ... well, not so much.

A suggestion - if cocoa powder is OK, try serving chocolate whipped cream and sub out the usual sugar for a diabetic-friendly sweetener. Try adding some chopped roasted and salted nuts.

Hubert Keller has a really good online recipe for it - it's with his chocolate stout layer cake recipe. When we made the cake and whipped cream, I actually found myself loving the whipped cream on it's own (and even more so with the nuts when I thought to try it).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    but.

why?

It's a quest. Family members with out of control diabetes have tasked me with creating a low-carb meal they will enjoy. The meal part is easy, but dessert ... well, not so much.

A suggestion - if cocoa powder is OK, try serving chocolate whipped cream and sub out the usual sugar for a diabetic-friendly sweetener. Try adding some chopped roasted and salted nuts.

Hubert Keller has a really good online recipe for it - it's with his chocolate stout layer cake recipe. When we made the cake and whipped cream, I actually found myself loving the whipped cream on it's own (and even more so with the nuts when I thought to try it).

I will check it out. Thanks!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I make a chocolate zucchini cake that is wonderful that replaces half the white flour with almond flour, half the sugar with artificial sweetener and half the oil with unsweetened applesauce. I suppose you could replace all of those three ingredients if you wanted to go even more lo-carb and lo-fat, but I prefer the taste and texture with only half replaced.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »

Thanks, I might give those a try! Simple and low carb
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited December 2014
    Options

Does that site give nutritional information? I didn't see it. Maybe I'll try MFP, though I hate entering stuff here.

What makes these 'turtle' brownies. Normally turtles have caramel and nuts. Though it's a bean brownie so I guess we've already left the realm of normal.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes, she has nutrition links on each post. For the one I linked, I believe it's for real sugar, so I guess the carbs would be a bit lower if you used Truvia or something. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/microwave-chocolate-truffles-calories-and-nutrition-facts/

I don't track carbs, so I'm not the best source, but I think a lot of her candy section would be good for what you are looking for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Does that site give nutritional information? I didn't see it. Maybe I'll try MFP, though I hate entering stuff here.

What makes these 'turtle' brownies. Normally turtles have caramel and nuts. Though it's a bean brownie so I guess we've already left the realm of normal.

talking the ones I listed?

not a fricking clue- but I'm always interested when I open it and it's not a complete and utter ridiculous list of crap I have to chase down somewhere- but mostly stuff I have in my pantry... so I had interest.

but yeah no idea why the turtle bit. shrug- sprinkle some carmel chocolate chips on top- bam- almost turtle ?? LOL
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I make a chocolate zucchini cake that is wonderful that replaces half the white flour with almond flour, half the sugar with artificial sweetener and half the oil with unsweetened applesauce. I suppose you could replace all of those three ingredients if you wanted to go even more lo-carb and lo-fat, but I prefer the taste and texture with only half replaced.

I made a mistake - I replace all of the oil with applesauce.

Oh, and each serving is 98 calories with 17 g of carbs. An 11x17 cake pan makes 24 servings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

talking the ones I listed?

not a fricking clue- but I'm always interested when I open it and it's not a complete and utter ridiculous list of crap I have to chase down somewhere- but mostly stuff I have in my pantry... so I had interest.

but yeah no idea why the turtle bit. shrug- sprinkle some carmel chocolate chips on top- bam- almost turtle ?? LOL

Yes, sorry, I meant your post but apparently replied to the wrong one. Doh!