Moms and Dads

Options
clandrum1984
clandrum1984 Posts: 94 Member
edited December 2014 in Motivation and Support
Hi All,
I am looking for people to keep me motivated. I am a working mom, three kids (5, 3 and 5 months). I am away from the home from 6:30am-6:30pm (typically). After getting home and getting the kids settled in with baths, homework and things ready for the next day, I'm exhausted and don't much energy to do anything else.

I love seeing people post on their feeds about their day and how they have done because it motivates me to do more. Please add me if you are going through the same thing or feel like you could maybe help me. :D

Thanks in advance.. You guys rock!

Replies

• clandrum1984
    Options
    Hmmm... no mommies and daddies out here want/need support or can offer support..

Hahaha! Well I mean I'm sure you all aren't busy or anything. I mean it's not like we don't all work, with kids, jobs, extra curricular activities... Hehehe! :smiling_imp:
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom with one child at home so feel free to add me! I've been here since Sept., 2012, and have lost over 78 lbs. I'm currently in maintenance (the last few months) but I'm vigilant. I still log on every day and log my food/exercise daily (other than when I can't get internet access on vacay). I'll be glad to offer support where I can!! B)
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    It will be tough, but you should try starting a routine where you get your base exercise in at the start of your day. A 12hour day, of doing whatever you are doing, be it running kids around, working, etc. is exhausting. Its perfectly understandable that you struggle with the energy to workout in the evenings.

Even if its 20-30 minutes of walking or Yoga, or Tae Bo, or whatever. That's a great "base".
    And you try to work in other things during the day depending on your schedule and when you have breaks.

One thing that helps me with evening workouts is doing them as a scheduled activity. I have classes on Monday and Wednesday at 6:30pm. I am dedicated to them and do not miss them unless I am out of town. That's a bigger motivator for me, than just exercising alone after a long day at work.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i have 2 children 7 and 6 months, i have usually 45-1hr lunches. during that time i like to bit of yoga or body weight movements and at night i am on my treadmill, its in a corner of the living room where i can still see my family and help with homework, my son sits on the couch next to me with a lap desk and works there. you can add me if you'd like :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think we all have our struggles and busy days. There were years I did vhs tapes at home at night, or early in the morning. Or use my lunch break.
  • clandrum1984
    Options
    @blc1971: Thanks for the support. I am looking forward to the day when I can proudly say that I have lost 78lbs. I will get there one day!

@KJoubert1966‌: I am going to try and start riding my stationary bike in the morning before leaving for work for 20-30 minutes, get some stair climbing in during the day and try to do something with my kids in the evenings!

@danipatt1216‌: I saw a post from one of MFP friends where she walks the stairs for 30 minutes during her lunch break. I might try that (or at least 15 minutes to start).. :smiley:

@MostlyWater‌: Thanks for the help. I am going to try to do some exercise videos in the evening with my kids (they like to dance, so Zumba might be in).
  • clandrum1984
    Options
    Question: for those of you who use at home DVD's to work out (versus going to a gym). What DVD's do you use? I have a hard time with high impact DVD's due to medical issues (plantar fasciitis, achiles tendonitis, and tarsal tunnel syndrome- all foot and ankle problems).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When my kids were that young I worked out at home Jane Fonda VHS (yes that was long ago). When they got older I was able to take the to the nursery at my gym. Couple jobs I had have gym membership at local park district. I did that during lunch. Plus I was going to school part time, working full time and took my kids to their practices and activities. If you are really dedicated to working out you should be able to find 1 hour in a 24 hour day for ME time.
  • jmitch40
    Options
    I bought myself the fitbit and started logging my food and currently doing program with dietician, the surprising thing with measuring movement on fitbit is how much movement you do cleaning the house. I sit at a desk all week and lucky to do 3000 steps a day. On my weekends I smash out 10000 - 15000bcleaning house, shopping washing. So even just keep picking up after kids etc continuously helps. I also learnt about how I was eating, in terms of not enough meals often enough. Just takes putting you in equation when getting kids food ready, pack carrot stocks etc for you as well as kids.
  • clandrum1984
    Options
    @dbanks80: Thanks for the information. I have been trying to look at it that way. I'm a person that really likes to sleep. I will go to bed at 9:30 (when the kids are going to bed) and get up at 6:30, rushing to get out the door to make it to work by 8:00am. :smile:

Maybe I can force my butt to go to bed a little later, or get up a little earlier to get on the bike or do an exercise video!
  • clandrum1984
    Options
    @jmitch40: thanks for the advice. I have a fitbit flex. I need to get back to using it again.
  • jmitch40
    Options
    That's what I have had to set small goal and get to 5000 steps a day, i am only just pushing myself now to put me first and my kids are 15, 20.
  • jmitch40
    Options
    R u in qld
  • clandrum1984
    Options
    @jmitch40: what is qld?
  • jmitch40
    Options
    Queensland Australia
  • clandrum1984
    Options
    Oh ok... No, I am in the US.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @dbanks80: Thanks for the information. I have been trying to look at it that way. I'm a person that really likes to sleep. I will go to bed at 9:30 (when the kids are going to bed) and get up at 6:30, rushing to get out the door to make it to work by 8:00am. :smile:

Maybe I can force my butt to go to bed a little later, or get up a little earlier to get on the bike or do an exercise video!

Once you get in the habit of working out then you will find your body will have the energy to workout. Even if you do a 30 min intense workout makes a world of difference. You can do it.

• gwenny0407
    gwenny0407 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a mommy too. I lost about 90 lbs about 5 years ago, now I'm back up about 40, so here I am! I've gone back to my old habits I had when losing (which might work for you). Find a gym that has an awesome gym daycare that your kids actually LIKE. One of the biggest hurdles to going to a gym is when your kids hate it. Then you feel bad. Then after dragging them a few times, you stop. I bounced to 3 gyms looking for one. I wanted one that provided physical activity for them too. I finally found it. Also, YMCA provides for daycare in their family pricing, so no extra cost!

I personally cannot do mornings, because with small children... it sucks. I have found that I won't do it, get discouraged, then quit. I eliminated all roads that lead to quitting lol. Now I go after work and homework. Sometimes we go straight from picking the kids up. I also make gym dates with my husband.

Anyhow, good luck!!! Feel free to add me! The more support the better!
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Question: for those of you who use at home DVD's to work out (versus going to a gym). What DVD's do you use? I have a hard time with high impact DVD's due to medical issues (plantar fasciitis, achiles tendonitis, and tarsal tunnel syndrome- all foot and ankle problems).

There's lots of free stuff on Youtube to get you started. Lots of the DVD creators post smaller sections of their DVD programs on there to give you a taste. Find out what you like, and try one out. Search for kettlebells or bodyweight workouts, or dumbbells or dancing, or whatever. I am a big fan of boxing/kickboxing for fitness. Nate Bower has some great stuff for that. I have a friend that has lost a ton of weight and changed his life with "DDP Yoga", but I haven't tried it myself.

• joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Dad of three kids (11, 5, 2). Ditto on the Youtube stuff, but i try and do things that involve my kids as well. We used to bike ride as a family before my 2 and 5 year old couldn't stand each other. I'm down 106 lbs since April 2014.