Tips for working out at home/in the winter.

Options
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the site but was hoping to get a few tips.

I use to work around the clock on a ship, always moving, so exercising wasn't a top priority. Now I'm back home and looking to get in shape. I've started walking in the mornings and I want to try to do yoga at night (I use to be big into it years ago). Does anyone have any ideas they can throw my way for working out at home? It's starting to get cold where I live, walking is still manageable but what do I do the days it snows or when the temp really drops?

Any info is really appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• runnerflute
    runnerflute Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, having something to look to as motivation helps a lot. My long-term goal is to run a PR at the half marathon I'm signed up for next May. Short-term, I'm running base miles and sticking to my cross training of strength training, cycling, and yoga. Because my winter workouts aren't progressive but maintaining my fitness, it's easy to want to slack off but because of my long term goal, I'm staying motivated.

What sort of things motivate you?
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    For working out at home, there is plenty out can do at home where you have a bit of space... Switch the TV on and out some music on and jog, run, jump on the spot - your heart rate will rise rapidly and you'll get a good workout in terms of cardio since your home will be much warmer than the outside.

If regarding strength workouts - pushups, birpees, starjumps, abdominal training - anything relating to calisthenics will be better than nothing.

Have fun and good luck!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and Pilates workouts from YouTube. :flowerforyou:
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love Popsugar fitness on YouTube :)
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not going to say it's the end-all, but recently started experimenting with freeletics, and with a few adjustments you can do most of their workouts in your home, and the only thing you need is a pull-up bar.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    whom ever said popsugar fitness on youtube is a genious. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS, and im excited to try a workout tonight :)
  • Jennwiththree
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com :)
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do you know a site called Fitnessblender? They're on YouTube and have their own website too - so many free workouts for the home, no equipment, and a wide range of options!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Check out the New York Times "7-minute workout." (Google and ye shall find.) It's a circuit of strength training exercises using bodyweight, a wall, and a chair. It actually takes about 8 minutes, and if you do it fast enough it gives you a cardio workout. For best results, do two or three circuits.

You can also look into Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Body by You," which are bodyweight exercise manuals. He's unnecessarily harsh about cardio, but for strength exercises that need no equipment other than household items, his books are pretty good.

That said, I enjoy walking and running in the snow. With the proper clothing, you can stay warm for hours outdoors, though once you're below about 10 F you need to be careful about exposed skin. I love running when it's snowing.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my treadmill, I don't know if you have space or funding for one, but I use mine for about 90 minutes daily. I would have thought after nine months of daily use I would be sick of it, but once I get into a rhythm on it, it is almost like a moving meditation session, it is very calming and fun.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight training is great for at home (look up Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym). Walking and yoga are a solid start though. Depending on what equipment you have available to you, resistance bands, dumbbells, suspension trainer, etc can all add to what you can do.

Question - are you using the cold/snow as an excuse? Or is it really a limiting factor for you. It's more important that you answer that honestly for yourself than it is that you respond here.
  • thank you everyone for the responses, really great ideas! This community is great and everyone is so helpful.

RunnerFlute, I'm mainly motivated because I want to be able to go hiking without getting so winded like I use to be able to. I also want to show my family that they can do it too, my sister just had a baby and is in a kind of funk along with my mom and niece who don't have the highest self confidence. Also, I've just lived life eating whatever, whenever..so I want to start taking care of my body the way it deserves. :) I should look into some sort of marathon I can train for, I use to do cross country and I think that would be amazing motivation to get back on track.

Jacksonpt, the cold is not an excuse..although I have used many! I had a tredmill but I left it at my mom's house for her. I really want to get up to being able to go for runs again so the walking is just to start.

Is running in place an adequate work-out for when it is too cold? I'm not sure why but I've always had the notation that it wasn't. Also, does anyone here run outside in the cold temperatures? What would be the best attire? I wear yoga pants, gloves, hat, long sleeve shirt and a t-shirt over that but no jacket.

Thanks for the websites/YouTubes...I googled work-outs and it's so daunting to see so many different ones and not know which actually work. I will check some out tonight and let you know how it goes =)

I've been busy today but I'm going to go out for a faster paced walk now (I will eventually be running! ha) I just gave up smoking so I still get out of breath more than I should.

Thanks again everyone!