is it good to walk/jog everyday?

Options
is it a good idea to walk/jog everyday? can your body get use to it and stop losing?

Replies

• KJoubert1966
    KJoubert1966 Posts: 49
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stop losing what? And I believe it is *great* to walk/jog everyday. I walk, but that's my preference. An hour of walking every morning with my dog, clears my head, and pretty much burns enough calories to cancel out my breakfast.

If you mean "stop losing weight"... yes and no. As you get more fit... you will work less hard to do the same level of activity I suppose. And as you weight less, its less work to move your body as well. But if you increase the intensity or duration, you're right back up there to higher work levels.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yes it is a great way to get in shape. I lost 100lbs walking.
  • Km818818
    Km818818 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You need to exercise everyday. Walking/jogging everyday is perfectly fine but mix it up from time to time so you don't get bored and burned out with the same routine.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No way! You should try to walk at least 20-30 mins a day. It can only help.
  • C5North
    C5North Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I try to get my fat can out everyday for 3-5 miles. The days I don't make it out I am on edge and feel weird. I love it.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also walk and have lost 16 lbs in 50 days. That is my main source of exercise. I do a few other things, but walk the most. I love it! Especially, in this weather we are having (I am in North FL, so high temps are anywhere from high 50s to low 70s).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    your body will eventually get used to it whether you do it every day or three times a week. The key is to gradually ramp up the intensity...walk a little faster, walk up more hills, add in more jogging, etc. That way you will keep losing weight.

If you start to feel it is not as hard as it used to be, that is the sign it is time to pick up the pace.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is dependent at eating at a calorie deficit. If you are concerned about endurance loss, that's a different matter.

Walking everyday is good and okay to do. Jogging everyday I'd say no to.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is fine to exercise every day, yes.

You will find as you get more fit that you need to pick up the pace to maintain the appropriately elevated heart rate or muscle challenge you are going for in terms of your goals. The point of exercise is that the body adapts.

• AmmB23
    AmmB23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Every work day (5 days per week) I walk for 30 minutes on my lunch break. I'm lucky because there is a small gym in my office so I can walk no matter how bad the weather is. When I have the time I do another 30 minutes after work. It's the easiest way to burn calories, in my opinion, and when you break it up into smaller increments throughout the day, it adds up quickly without seeming like a workout! I've also noticed that every few weeks I can walk a little faster or on a steeper incline with the same amount of effort, so I wouldn't worry about your body getting used to it and not losing as much.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I try to walk at least a 1/4 mile daily if there is no ice on the road. It has been a game changer for my health/mobility.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, I do it every day.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    You can definitely walk every day, no worries there. Jogging is more tricky. Part of that is distance, part of that is your age and ability. Some people can job several miles almost every day, taking recovery breaks a day here and there. Most people who jog more than just a couple miles need a day between running. If you are training for some new long distance events, you might even need to take two days off or running from your long run in some cases. So it depends on jogging. Anyone should be able to walk every day provided they do not have any sort of injury or disability to prevent this.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can walk every day. That is how we used to get to places not very long ago, you know... :-)

Jogging every day is fine too, although it can be tough on your joints if you carry a lot of extra weight.