Shame and the Gym

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no one cares that much.

secondly what if they do- think about how that ACTUALLY will impact you.
    -
    So maybe they whisper- so maybe they walk around you.
    So maybe so what.

As long as they aren't throwing dumbbells at your face- who cares- go in there and do what you need to do.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, no one will notice and if they did so what. For me, it's always the people that are overweight and at the gym that inspire me not the the people that have the great bodies. So I would also be doing the mental fist bump thinking you go girl!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Obviously you realize that you should care less about what others think, but I think you'd be surprised if people had a chat bubble over their heads. Sure... there are people that will think what you mention above... but there will plenty of others silently wishing you luck in your attempts to better yourself, and people admiring you for making an effort to change things.

FWIW... some people will have those negative and destructive thoughts about you, no matter how skinny or fit you are. That's a problem with THEM, not YOU. Also... you'd be surprised how many skinny/fit people are equally self conscious about their appearance or have anxiety about their ability in the gym.

This.

And you'd also be surprised how many people just don't care. If I had a chat bubble above my head, it would be blank, lol. I go there to do my thing, not stare at other human beings.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl and I have learned not to care what people think of me when I'm at the gym. I do either elliptical or arc trainer when I'm there. What makes me the most proud is my 1st attempt at the elliptical I could only do 5 minutes. I can do an hour now without any trouble.

My point is to get in there and be proud that you're there, you're getting fit, turn up your music and tune out any negative thoughts. I bet nobody will think badly..if anything, I wonder if they silently say look at that girl go!!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who goes to the gym really early in the morning and by default you sort of get to know who shows up and who doesn't. It's generally the same group for the most part with a few newbies thrown in day to day.

I was sick after Thanksgiving and missed an entire two weeks, the only thing that happened was that everyone seemed glad to see that I was back. I even gained a couple of pounds and I doubt anyone noticed.

In other words, they'll most likely be glad you're back!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Really! ? No one cares.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ashleyr91 wrote: »
    t people think.

My question is, be brutally honest, what would you be thinking on the other side of this situation?

To actually answer your question I would say in my head "WHOOPsie daisy", and then think nothing else of it.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Okay I thought about it, yes there was a time that I was all judgy in my head about someone at the gym. He had flames tattooed on his calves. I thought to myself 'what a douche' when I saw him, but I couldn't tell you what he looked like otherwise.

My husband noticed him too and asked me if I he thought the flames would make him run faster. (Also the only time he's ever commented about anyone at the gym.)

So yeah, maybe if you got a really douchey tattoo while you were away from the gym I might think something about you. So don't do that and you should be fine?
  • bharatirats
    bharatirats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing in the world is to start..

If you overcome this without thinking about others...definitely you will achieve what you want....

Why to care about 'what others thinking'.

Take it positively..At least people are noticing you! :) ..
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    To be honest… there are about the grand total of 3 people that I recognize at the gym. Pretty much anybody could come or go having gained 200 pounds in the meantime and I wouldn't even notice.

I know it sounds pretty brutal to say, but in this case, I mean it in the nicest way possible… nobody cares about you!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Honestly, does it matter what they think? You'll soon start to lose the weight once you go to the gym regularly so it'll be with it.

I've had 3 children and gained weight each time, so my gym has seen me super fit and slim, pregnant (I was doing aerobics until 38 weeks pregnant) and then fat again after having my babies lol, and repeat.

I don't notice most people at the gym. Most people have their headphones in and are doing their own thing. When I was in the gym with my huge bump I didn't even get any stares or comments.