Bra shopping....

Options
djc315
djc315 Posts: 585 Member
So, I've lost enough weight that I need to get new bras. I measured myself, and my band size has gone down but then my cup size has gone up? Is that possible? Or am I doing it wrong?

I measured around my band, then measured around the fullest part of my breast and subtracted those two numbers. The difference used to be 2 inches smaller, so, I've gone up two cup sizes??

Replies

• mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible. Likely even. If your amount of breast tissue stays the same, but you lose fat in the rib cage measure, then your band size would go down, and cup size would go up relative to it. Cup size is really just a mathematic ratio.

I'm not sure why people struggle with this. Anyone with a true love for boobs has this down pat. :smooched:
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Certainly possible. If you look at for example a 40 B the cup is huge, while a 30 D is quite a small cup. The size has to do with the difference between the rib cage and the bust measurement.

I would go and get fitted though as I find bras are like clothes and you need different sizes depending on style, manufacturer etc.

Congrats on the weight loss :smile:
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Certainly possible. If you look at for example a 40 B the cup is huge, while a 30 D is quite a small cup. The size has to do with the difference between the rib cage and the bust measurement.

I would go and get fitted though as I find bras are like clothes and you need different sizes depending on style, manufacturer etc.

this is so incorrect. The number before the letter indicates the band size. A 40 is a huge band size, meaning the rib cage is huge. A B cup is small. A 30 D is a larger cup.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar conversation with my daughter yesterday. Yes, it's possible that you lost inches around your chest faster than your breasts. So your band size goes down, but because of the new ratio of the two measurements, your cup size goes up. It's happened to me before too.

But, I would suggest going to a lingerie store to get measured just to get a second opinion. It's always nice to have a pro help you out. :)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options

this is so incorrect. The number before the letter indicates the band size. A 40 is a huge band size, meaning the rib cage is huge. A B cup is small. A 30 D is a larger cup.

A 30 D cup is not larger than a 40 B cup. In fact, I know for a FACT that a 38 DD and a 36 DDD have the *exact same size cup* in all Victoria's Secret lines. The letters are a reflection of the number of inches difference between the chest and breast measurements. Take it from the 36 DDD girl. I've read my fair share of bra sizing info.
  • djc315
    Options
    Okay, thanks!

I've been measuring myself for years, but have always stayed the same size for both cup and band. I just didn't expect to go up in cup size. Not to mention I was a little shocked to see that cup size. I will get professionally measured when I am at my goal weight. And then get bras for every style top, adventures and experiences :)
  • djc315
    Options

A 30 D cup is not larger than a 40 B cup. In fact, I know for a FACT that a 38 DD and a 36 DDD have the *exact same size cup* in all Victoria's Secret lines. The letters are a relection of the number of inches difference between the chest and breast measurements. Take it from the 36 DDD girl. I've read my fair share of bra sizing info.

I'm now a 36DDD....what is your favorite bra? I am in need of one that kind of pushes the girls together since my breast are wide set, but not SQUISHED together lol.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options

A 30 D cup is not larger than a 40 B cup. In fact, I know for a FACT that a 38 DD and a 36 DDD have the *exact same size cup* in all Victoria's Secret lines. The letters are a relection of the number of inches difference between the chest and breast measurements. Take it from the 36 DDD girl. I've read my fair share of bra sizing info.

I'm now a 36DDD....what is your favorite bra? I am in need of one that kind of pushes the girls together since my breast are wide set, but not SQUISHED together lol.

I'm really in love with Victoria's Secret right now. 100% worth the investment when you're a "big" girl. I actually went to the store, got measured and proceeded to try on almost every style they had. Personally, I stay away from anything with more than just a light padding (push up, etc). I have several Dream Angels "Perfect Coverage" bras and a few demis for wearing with tanks and stuff. You'll find that a properly-sized bra with good structure will keep your girls where they need to be without any crazy squished cleavage.

Have fun! New bra time is so much fun!
  • Cbdaugh2
    Cbdaugh2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I recently went shopping and had a fitting and the same thing happened to me! very exciting!
  • djc315
    Options
    Thanks, I will check them out. I was never a fan of VS but I am willing to give them a try again.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible. Likely even. If your amount of breast tissue stays the same, but you lose fat in the rib cage measure, then your band size would go down, and cup size would go up relative to it. Cup size is really just a mathematic ratio.

I'm not sure why people struggle with this. Anyone with a true love for boobs has this down pat. :smooched:

What the.....you mean to tell me that one day I may have boobielisciousness? Yay!

jk I am happy with my little pimento boobs.
  • mister_universe
    Options
    What the.....you mean to tell me that one day I may have boobielisciousness? Yay!

jk I am happy with my little pimento boobs.

I'm sure whoever gets to see them says Dang! That's good.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

In what world is a B cup ever larger than a D cup? I am a D and I don't think a B would even cover half of a boob. The over person has it right. The number indicates band size. Your rib cage. The letter is the size of the cup, which is what increases the breast. A B will never be larger than a D.

Except for maybe VS compared to another company since they take vanity sizing and boobs to a whole new level.
  • mister_universe
    Options
    Joreana-the B or D designation is only relative to the band size. A 32D has less breast tissue than a 44B, despite the bigger letter; cup size comparison is only useful within the same band number. Pick them up the next time you go shopping, its clear as day. The band is a static, real measure. The cup is the answer to a basic math problem.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Joreana-the B or D designation is only relative to the band size. A 32D has less breast tissue than a 44B, despite the bigger letter; cup size comparison is only useful within the same band number. Pick them up the next time you go shopping, its clear as day. The band is a static, real measure. The cup is the answer to a basic math problem.

I worked in a lingerie store and was trained how to do fittings and this is news to me. Granted it was VS and they were bumbling idiots.....
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I went and looked it up:

http://lingerie.about.com/od/FitGuide/a/What-Bra-Sizes-Mean.htm

Some quotes from the article:

"It's a common misconception to think that all B cups -- or any letter -- are the same size. They're not. A bra's cup size is relative to its band size.

"Bras that are sizes 32B and a 34B have different cup sizes -- even though the letters are the same.

Bras that are sizes 34B and 32C will have the same -- or very similar -- cup sizes, even though the letters are different.

Going down one band size, but up one cup size, will ensure that the cup sizes actually stay the same, and they will have a similar fit -- even though the letter sizes are different."

I guess I'll have to volunteer to do some real world testing....
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options
    Can't believe I went and looked it up:

http://lingerie.about.com/od/FitGuide/a/What-Bra-Sizes-Mean.htm

Some quotes from the article:

"It's a common misconception to think that all B cups -- or any letter -- are the same size. They're not. A bra's cup size is relative to its band size.

"Bras that are sizes 32B and a 34B have different cup sizes -- even though the letters are the same.

Bras that are sizes 34B and 32C will have the same -- or very similar -- cup sizes, even though the letters are different.

Going down one band size, but up one cup size, will ensure that the cup sizes actually stay the same, and they will have a similar fit -- even though the letter sizes are different."

I guess I'll have to volunteer to do some real world testing....

I love it when someone proves me right! :drinker: Ladies go to the store and look at different band and cup sizes. You'll see what I"m talking about. I was surprised when I did this--but it's true!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I am telling you guys, you are wrong! I am a 32D, because I have a very small band size. The only time I even fit into a C, is a 34C to accommodate for spillage, and it is usually on strapless bras since they are wonky. You don't get much variance. A 36A is NOT larger than a 34B, or a 32C.
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A 36A is NOT larger than a 34B, or a 32C.

It's not larger, it's about the same actually. Plug those letters into the top example.

30D 32C 34B 36A 38AA
    ^ Those are all similar sizes.

hhwoarq.jpg

Edited for picture size :grumble:
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    When measuring around the breasts, make sure its at nipple height. (Ok, just wanted to say nipple. *giggle*)