Cutting back on carbs but feeling weak

Options
Ok I felt like I was starting to get a guy so,,,,I cut my carbs to 60-to 70 a day but I still run 6 miles a day or bike 20 miles a day everyday...this morning for my run I struggled...felt weak...is it the lack of carbs ?

Still fairly low cal 1500-1700 a day

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yes. If you go low carb, then burn out all your glycogen, you'll feel weak and tired.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    On the off-hand, I'd say you are not fueling your body properly.

I looked at your diary, and while your logging is pretty inconsistent, the days you do log are extremely low for a full grown male. Even if you take into consideration you don't weigh your food (which it looks like you don't), you are eating too little. I don't think it's carbs that's your problem, but your nutrition and calorie intake on the whole.

Eat more calories, fuel your workouts properly. You're only making yourself miserable and malnourished by continuing on the track you are on.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The general rule I follow is: Get enough protein for your size, then adjust fat/carb percentages based on activity and energy level. If I feel tired or slow, I increase carb / reduce fat to compensate.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60 pounds being low carb, and by then had started running. Found I was out of energy, particularly trying to run further distances (over 6 miles seemed impossible). I found I needed more carbs. Soon after I ran my first half. Not only did my running improve, but my mind cleared up a bit too. I had no problems being low-carb until I was repeatedly draining my glycogen stored from the regular running. That took a toll.

That said, there are those who are low carb paleo runners. Takes a seriously tough mindset to do that though, because you are essentially living in a state of "hitting the wall". That's exactly how it felt for me. Maybe over time that gets easier for some people, but I didn't care for it one bit.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no need to cut your carbs that low, all you need is a deficit, with 1500-1700 calorie intake you could easily be eating 150-200 carbs a day after your protein and fat minimums are met
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Your body is telling you to eat and fuel that daily exercise

You are seriously eating too few calories for a man with that activity level and presumably not much to lose

What's your TDEE? ..cut 250 cals from it ..and eat your carbs

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Are you "eating back" exercise calories? If not, up your total. 1500-1700 isn't a lot to sustain a daily 6-mile run or 20-mile ride.

It is possible to adapt to a low carb diet as an athlete. Alex Hutchinson wrote an article on it for a recent issue of Outside magazine. The way to do it is to train in a carb-depleted state, and it is difficult at first.

If today is the first time it has happened, though, it might just be one of those things.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you aren't eating enough calories, period. That is causing the weakness. 1700 should be breakfast for a grown man doing that much cardio.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You are seriously eating too few calories for a man with that activity level and presumably not much to lose

TDEE = 2379
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

TDEE = 2379

Really? Seems very low for a male at that activity level...how / where have you worked that out?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Up your calories to 2000