Am i being to sensitive?

Options

Replies

• Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It' really depends. If this is the secret santa where the person knows who they're buying for and they're a good friend. I'd be bothered as they'd know you're working on your health and fitness and it's more of a "I don't really know you but here's some tasty chocolates gift. If they don't really know you then it's an awesome gift. It's hard to buy for people you don't know well and most people have the choice of Chocolate, bath things/candles or some novelty you may not like at all. The safe bet is always the chocolate.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    eat them, say thanks.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Extremely sensitive....

I had to look up what Quality Street was. I have to say that giving food as a gift is fairly common. Don't read too much into it. Toss it or regift. The end.
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was just having a moment, bought on by guilt coz I know I need to stop eating......the feelings were all me and not even about anyone else
    All calm now :-)
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Pretend you like them, say thanks, take them home and throw them in the garbage :smiley:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Be thankful you got a gift.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    I was just having a moment, bought on by guilt coz I know I need to stop eating......the feelings were all me and not even about anyone else

Thats just part of being human. Try not to let triffle things get in your way. :D

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a bit. But I'll admit, I would be, too. For personal reasons. I would realize, though, that I'm being sensitive and that to most people, giving/receiving chocolate is a very normal part of the holidays. Food is a very normal part of life, one you cannot avoid - whether you are dieting, not dieting, have a healthy relationship with food, or have an eating disorder. Chocolate is a generic gift, and often assumed to be a 'safe' one to give (as most assume that most would appreciate it). So, I'd be grateful for it. Don't overthink it. :smile:
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What is with all the posts saying throw them away? If you truly don't want them, give them to someone else or take them to a food bank. Just throwing them in the trash would be a very selfish thing to do.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    What is with all the posts saying throw them away? If you truly don't want them, give them to someone else or take them to a food bank. Just throwing them in the trash would be a very selfish thing to do.

I would think someone would like the candy. And you would have one less gift to buy ! Ha
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how it was a secret Santa .. and not a gift specific for you, it is a non issue. What you decide to do with them .. that is for you to determine.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    You should be less sensitive about the gifts you receive. And more sensitive about using to/too/two correctly.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just can't believe you'd balk at ANY gift! IT'S A GIFT - say thank you and be grateful!
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ I agree. In my family, food and booze are great gifts. That probably explains why I am on this site!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    the comment said when i got it was...i wonder what that is!!!!!

I think it's probably more that the packaging and size of the wrapped gift made it very easy to guess what it was. Those candies are very commonly given around Christmas, right? I'd assume it was a comment about the laziness of the giver (even if they were anonymous), and nothing to do with you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For the record, you don't need to stop eating, if you did that you'd starve to death... you may need to exercise more control and stick to your calorie goal, but you don't need to stop eating.

Be glad it wasn't Roses... quality street are much nicer!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If unopened and not expired, donate it to the food bank.
    If its still in good condition, re-wrap and give it to a neighbor or friend who may have helped you out in some way this past year.
    A couple wks ago I bought a few welchs sparkling grape juice, curled up a bunch of ribbon on all of the bottles and brought them to the grocery stores to the few exceptionally helpful people.
    Granted, they may not all like the "grape" vs the "apple" flavor but it'll make for a nice little gift to pass on if they don't want it :smile:
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    They probably said 'I wonder what that is' because the box shape is a bit of a giveaway :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Huh?

Oh good. Not just me. I thought maybe I am more drunk than I realized lol.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    from my understanding, sweets are a 'safe' gift for coworkers, and definitely not meant as any sort of personal statement. they're just something nearly everyone is assumed to like. thoughtless, but not offensive.