Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    Like it's an interesting theory & what not, but the presentation is honestly making me regard it negatively.

The article is correct.

Fat doesn't turn into energy - fat turns into (eventually) CO2 and water, releasing energy (and heat, indirectly) in the process.

This is first-semester level organic chemistry.
    I took Organic Chem and remember precious little. I know we didn't go over that in Organic Chem because I never learned anything I enjoyed in that class. (Which is not a slam on people who did enjoy Organic Chem and God bless them for it.)

Except for things they use, most people forget a lot of what they learned in college.

Someone asked me about Great Expectations last week, did in think it would be a good gift for someone. My reply: "Pip! I remember Pip! I liked it. That's all I remember." They pressed me, but it's gone. I read it. I liked it. I remember nothing else. Mid I picked it back up, it would come back to me, but I can't remember it now.

When my nephew took a math class, I had to do a problem to remember how so I could show him. I came up with two answers and said, "Wait, this isn't right. I have two ans...oh, wait-wait-wait, I can have an extraneous answer, can't I? I can." Kid stared at me like, "She's the math whiz who is going to help me?" But I could. It just took a minute to remember. (And he learned it, lol.)

It's hard to remember everything for decades, you know? If you don't use it, you lose it. For many of us, anyway. :)

Definitely not Organic Chem 101 for me. I do remember that class because I hated it so much. Endless memorization of reactions involving organic compounds, emphasis on petrochemicals. Very little actual teaching other than a bit about catalysts and energies of activation. Labs with partners that managed to spill boiling sulfuric acid on me, thank God I was wearing loose heavy-duty jeans under the lab coat.

Nothing about fats or similar biologics. That was Biochem 101.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    Like it's an interesting theory & what not, but the presentation is honestly making me regard it negatively.

The article is correct.

Fat doesn't turn into energy - fat turns into (eventually) CO2 and water, releasing energy (and heat, indirectly) in the process.

This is first-semester level organic chemistry.
    I took Organic Chem and remember precious little. I know we didn't go over that in Organic Chem because I never learned anything I enjoyed in that class. (Which is not a slam on people who did enjoy Organic Chem and God bless them for it.)

Except for things they use, most people forget a lot of what they learned in college.

Someone asked me about Great Expectations last week, did in think it would be a good gift for someone. My reply: "Pip! I remember Pip! I liked it. That's all I remember." They pressed me, but it's gone. I read it. I liked it. I remember nothing else. Mid I picked it back up, it would come back to me, but I can't remember it now.

When my nephew took a math class, I had to do a problem to remember how so I could show him. I came up with two answers and said, "Wait, this isn't right. I have two ans...oh, wait-wait-wait, I can have an extraneous answer, can't I? I can." Kid stared at me like, "She's the math whiz who is going to help me?" But I could. It just took a minute to remember. (And he learned it, lol.)

It's hard to remember everything for decades, you know? If you don't use it, you lose it. For many of us, anyway. :)

Definitely not Organic Chem 101 for me. I do remember that class because I hated it so much. Endless memorization of reactions involving organic compounds, emphasis on petrochemicals. Very little actual teaching other than a bit about catalysts and energies of activation. Labs with partners that managed to spill boiling sulfuric acid on me, thank God I was wearing loose heavy-duty jeans under the lab coat.

Nothing about fats or similar biologics. That was Biochem 101.
    In the event I wasn't as clear as possible: I hated Organic Chem. Oh, how I hated it.

Thank God there are people who find it interesting! It's important! I'm not putting it down! But I hated it and everyone taking it with me hated it and I've yet to meet anyone IRL who took it and enjoyed it. It was boring as hell and not easy. And the ridiculous labs and lab questions - "Who cares."

I remember almost none of it. I couldn't draw today any of the crap we had to in that class. Not on bet - not if my life depended on it. Decades later, I still hate it, lol. Someone brings up an Art class and I'm like, "Yeah, I didn't love that," but I couldn't care less. Organic Chem still makes me cringe.

Horrible, horrible class.
  • ptargino
    ptargino Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you go for a run, your mass increases due to Einstein's theory of relativity. When you stop running, your mass decreases again. Where does the extra mass go?

You don't increase/decrease your mass because of temperature changes, you expand/contract it. The mass is still the same, it is the volume that fluctuates.

Here's a good explanation of how it works: bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/science/chemical_material_behaviour/behaviour_of_matter/revision/2/