Gifts?

Options
KGRebelRanch
KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
For your winter holiday of choice? :)

This year has been hard financially for us, so all the ladies in my family are getting handmade totes made from feed bags, and the guys are all getting homemade jerky.

My husband and I are going to get our xmas gifts this weekend-a pair of Red Wattle piglets! Then my mother in law is taking everyone to dinner for her gift to us all.

So I'm going to ask- what do YOU prefer getting/giving? Bought? Homemade? Gift cards or cash? I really love homemade stuff, but only for really close family or friends (nothing more awkward than getting a handmade painting/scarf/whatever that is the exact opposite of what you usually buy :/) Otherwise, im ll about the gift cards. I almost always get a bunch for the holidays and they inevitably buy things I need like socks or dog food!

So what's the gift giving like in your home? :D

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When it comes to receiving, I appreciate ANY gift I am given but the things I honestly don't care for are candles and bath products (generally), I don't care if they are homemade or store-bought but I have sensitive skin for things like bath salts and scrubs, and candles bother my eyes, so those gifts are donated or given away to friends. I really love practical presents. I've been known to ask for such things as chewing gum, Scotch tape (I go through a lot of it), and bags of almonds or pecans! To me something like that shows that the person knows me well and really cares about what I'd like and use.

I also LOVE gift cards, seriously do...I would much rather receive a gift card than cash, because I can be so tight with money and having a gift card "forces" me to buy something different and/or fun, usually. When someone gives me a gift card, I always think of them when using whatever item it is I chose to buy with it...maybe that is silly, but I do. I like to shop and it's cool to me to get a gift card for say, $50 to Kohl's, and then go and buy clearance jeans, underwear, kitchen towels and a necklace...all for $50. If a friend or family member spent $50 on me at Kohl's they would probably get 1 dressy blouse or a sweater or something!

My husband and I just do stocking stuffers for each other since we pretty much buy what we want all year long (nothing extravagant mind you). However, last year he got so creative and clearly put tons of time & thought into all of mine, while I was like "oh here's a stainless steel thermos, some candy and a fast food gift card"...so I upped my game this year and got him many cool & thoughtful little gifts, which I won't go into detail about since he IS a MFP-er...although I doubt he will wind up reading this since he rarely ventures into the forums.

I got my dad a tin sign for his garage, 1940's book/DVD, huge tin of cashews, and then for he and my stepmom a shared gift of Waffle House coffee, mugs, and lip balm (lol) and I got her a nail kit and Macy's gift card. My dad bought my stepmom a bicycle and my husband (who works on bikes) assembled it nicely for her, too.

For my stepsister, a nail kit & Macy's card and then a gift for she and her husband (who I'm not crazy about) of jalapeno corn muffin mix and a very nice Circulon muffin pan, since they just redid their kitchen.

My mom's single and I'm her only "kid", so we kind of spoil her. She's getting a set of flannel sheets, a beautiful sewing box, bag, biscotti, liquor, candy, nice shower cap, and a bunch of other stuff. We're also taking her out to a nice restaurant on Christmas Eve.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife and I keep things pretty simple between the two of us so that we can spoil our kiddos.