Words from your childhood that are not used anymore......

Options
MaxPower0102
MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
Thought came a different thread, and wanted to start its own here. Not sure how much traction it may get.....

Are there any words you used as a kid that have vanished from everyday vernacular? Two words for me that come to mind are 'huck' (to throw) and 'book' (to run as fast as you can). As in, "We hucked rocks at the window, and booked when the cops showed up".

I am sure there were plenty of colorful words out there for bodily fluids/functions/sexual acts, too.

Any fond memories of words-gone-by?

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My dad used to say yonder, like "out yonder by the gate". And he would say let me feel of it if I told him something was soft. The other one was "druthers" as in "if I had my druthers it wouldn't be this way"

Haven't heard any of those since he passed away but then again I don't think I ever heard anyone else say them anyways.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    My family is from West VA, where an acceptable unit of measure is a "Swag in the holler". How far is that, you ask? As explained to me, a SITH = "just down the road a piece"
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    "No duh" or "No doy"... meaning "no sh_t" or "obviously you fool"...do kids still say that? I haven't heard the expression in years.

And I've heard the word "huck" for to throw...but we were more likely to "chuck" a rock (before bookin' outa there)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Whenever we would play in a meadow or tall grass we were warned to be careful of 'chiggers.' Any unexplained red bumps were inexplicably called chigger bites. Later when we lived near the beach I would get sandburrs stuck in my feet and socks when walking across the dunes. Those were also called chiggers by my family so I started to believe it was just adult's word for any sort of outdoor pest or plant.

I had no idea until the days of the internet that they were a real thing (Trombiculidae, a type of mite). I'm not sure if was ever actually bitten by one or if they were ever common in the area. Most of my 'chigger bites' were either stings, mosquito or ant bites or a rash. They would always put this menthol stuff on them and it evaporated really quickly so it had a cooling sensation. I have no idea if it ever helped with anything but taking the itch away.

I think it was just some generic term that Southern (US) people had picked up at some point.

There were a lot of Southern phrases I heard all the time growing up, I don't know if they've fallen out of favor as much as I haven't been back to the area in many years.

'Winder light' (window) 'Frontroom' (living room) 'Dinner' (Lunch) 'Supper' (Dinner) 'chifferobe' (either a freestanding piece of furniture, similar to an armoire or just a word for the closet) 'conniption fit' (tantrum)

The one that bothered me was 'bless her heart' it means (I know what I just said about her is terrible but if I say this then I had good intentions and you are not allowed to be offended.) "That girl is dumb as a bag of rocks, bless her heart." "What an ugly baby, bless it's little heart."
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    dungarees
    chifforobe
    babushka
    milkman
    privy (outhouse)
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    'Shan' is one I said and heard all the time as a kid, basically it meant that something was cruel or a shame, like; ''Megan's cat was run over." "Aww, that's so shan." - or, "Don't take that little kid's toy, that's shan." I never hear that anymore.
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My mother when she was mad would say *kitten* fire. Only person I ever heard use that expression.
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Slutherer - a slatternly person
    gob - mouth, as in "he's got a gob like dock gates"
    Yat - gate, as in "shut yat"
    Put wood in 'ole" as in "shut the door"

And so on and so on, happy long ago days!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Coolio or coolskie.

Get jiggy with it.

Raise the roof.

You da bomb.

As if!

Psyche!!!
  • DavidFitFocus
    Options
    I'm gonna beat your *kitten*, boy! My mom doesn't say that so much anymore...
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    fetch
  • EveFlowergirl
    EveFlowergirl Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bogus
    dank
    busted
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Coolio

Still use this all the time B)

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Valley Talk...like "grody to the max" and "gag me with a spoon"
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I didn't say these, but my grandmother used to say you were "wind-jammering" when she thought you were telling tall tales. She would also say so and so was "windy" when I would tell her something that they told me.
    She also used to call loads of laundry "rub-ins". She grew up with 13 siblings and was one of the oldest- maybe the laundry was done more by hand?
    She also called her couch the "davenport".

When I was a teenager of the 80s- some sayings were the valley talk like mentioned above "grody", "gag me", "fer sure". We also would say "face!" if you embarrassed someone or if someone got proven wrong or something.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    - "Psyche!"
    - a "flash cube"
    - taking a "Polaroid"
    - coffee "percolators"
    - skate keys
    - Jarts (nothing like getting drunk and playing a lawn game with sharp projectiles)
    - Bohacks - mostly a NY thing (if you had cheap clothes, they were "off the rack at Bohack"
    - the phrase "Just wait until we get home!"
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I grew up hearing my father respond(when asked how he was) with "fair to middlin". If I use that phrase now, people just look at me weird.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    The only ones I can think of are for name calling..like fart-knocker and dillweed.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Oh..i never used it but "booyah" was big around here when I was little.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Neato
    Hip

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png