Get a dream, put a date on it and you got a goal!

Hello everybody,
I would like to share my weight losing story. The path on wich I travel for more than 2 years.
To make long story short, 2 years ago I decided to lose weight, I had just moved in a new town, because of my new job. I started going to fitness, visiting martial arts classes, running almost every morning. I managed to lose 15kg, weighting in at 74kg, 183cm tall, still having a bit of a belly, but I was proud that I could run a kilometer in 4 minutes, I could do 25 push ups in a minute(chest touches the ground,proper push ups). I was far from ripped nor strong, but I managed to achieve that in 4 mounths. The thing is that I had a goal, I was willing to join a militery school, so that was my motivation. However I failed the medical exam because of previous records of asthma. I didn't even make it to the fitness tests, I was crushed all my hard work for nothing. I stoped training, going to the gym, going outside...
I started eating junk food all the time everyday, and some time later i tried to go back to training and proper diet regime... it didn't work out.
Now an year and a half later weighting 95kg I cant even keep running for more than a minute, still willing to get fitter, I wish I've went to the gym, but than I say to my self - next time I will, and I don't. I'm wandering, I am dying to find out what does it take for me to get motivated again, to get my will, my desire to fight back into my mind.
If someone have expirienced something similar, please share how you overcome your depression I guess.
Thats my first time when I write about that because I think that If I couldn't do it by myself maybe you fellows can help me out. This end up quite long, thanks to anyone who reads that and replies, please excuse my english I know it's not perfect.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    georgi922 your English is good. I think many have the same concerns because we have lost weight only to regain it.

Using a gym can lead to this weight regain.

At 63 I now know weight loss is not really about losing weight at all but is about finding an eating lifestyle that works for a person.

Being fat never is the real problem we need to address. Being fat is just a by-product of our eating life style problem 99% of the time I think.

If a gym is required to lose weight then one has never addressed the issue and weight regain is so easy when we stop going to the gym. There will come a time when most all dieters will stop going to a gym. Is getting fat again the only possible result?

In my case I am a carb abuser. Carbs like alcohol are not evil but if one abuses either then the results can be evil like in the minds of some or even ourselves.

What is one thing in your life long eating style that you can change?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    In for carb abuse!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Gale, gyms lead to weight gain? Thus exercise is counter productive to weight loss and weight maintenance? I'd love to see the proof on this or at least explain why you believe this. The OP doesn't need to be confused by unsubstantiated statements when he is trying to get back into shape.

OP, the only thing you can do is just press on and regain your motivation by understanding that it's a lifelong thing. Just look around at how many here are older, like me, and trying to get back in shape and lose weight. You are still young, I assume, so it's the best time to get back into it and get healthy and develop the habits that will give you a good quality of life.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    georgi922 wrote: »
    Hello everybody,
    I would like to share my weight losing story. The path on wich I travel for more than 2 years.
    To make long story short, 2 years ago I decided to lose weight, I had just moved in a new town, because of my new job. I started going to fitness, visiting martial arts classes, running almost every morning. I managed to lose 15kg, weighting in at 74kg, 183cm tall, still having a bit of a belly, but I was proud that I could run a kilometer in 4 minutes, I could do 25 push ups in a minute(chest touches the ground,proper push ups). I was far from ripped nor strong, but I managed to achieve that in 4 mounths. The thing is that I had a goal, I was willing to join a militery school, so that was my motivation. However I failed the medical exam because of previous records of asthma. I didn't even make it to the fitness tests, I was crushed all my hard work for nothing. I stoped training, going to the gym, going outside...
    I started eating junk food all the time everyday, and some time later i tried to go back to training and proper diet regime... it didn't work out.
    Now an year and a half later weighting 95kg I cant even keep running for more than a minute, still willing to get fitter, I wish I've went to the gym, but than I say to my self - next time I will, and I don't. I'm wandering, I am dying to find out what does it take for me to get motivated again, to get my will, my desire to fight back into my mind.
    If someone have expirienced something similar, please share how you overcome your depression I guess.
    Thats my first time when I write about that because I think that If I couldn't do it by myself maybe you fellows can help me out. This end up quite long, thanks to anyone who reads that and replies, please excuse my english I know it's not perfect.

honestly, you just need to pick a day and start…

If you can't run a mile..then walk for five mints, and then jog for as long as you can, and then walk, and then jog…before you know it you will be running the whole mile..

As far as the gym goes, no one is going to get you into the gym but yourself. You just need to come home, put your work out clothes on and hit the gym ..

and don't listen to GaleHawkins rubbish about the gym leading to weight gain ..

overeating = weight gain ..period.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    georgi922 your English is good. I think many have the same concerns because we have lost weight only to regain it.

At 63 I now know weight loss is not really about losing weight at all but is about finding an eating lifestyle that works for a person.

Being fat never is the real problem we need to address. Being fat is just a by-product of our eating life style problem 99% of the time I think.

If a gym is required to lose weight then one has never addressed the issue and weight regain is so easy when we stop going to the gym. There will come a time when most all dieters will stop going to a gym. Is getting fat again the only possible result?

In my case I am a carb abuser. Carbs like alcohol are not evil but if one abuses either then the results can be evil like in the minds of some or even ourselves.

oh my word….

Gale just stop, please stop …carbs are not evil….weight gain is from over eating, period. You can eat zero carbs, go over on calories, and gain weight….good lord...
  • Wheelhouse15
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    georgi922 wrote: »
    Hello everybody,

honestly, you just need to pick a day and start…

If you can't run a mile..then walk for five mints, and then jog for as long as you can, and then walk, and then jog…before you know it you will be running the whole mile..

As far as the gym goes, no one is going to get you into the gym but yourself. You just need to come home, put your work out clothes on and hit the gym ..

and don't listen to GaleHawkins rubbish about the gym leading to weight gain ..

overeating = weight gain ..period.

I started running in June after a long time off. I could only run half a mile (not even a KM) before stopping and it took me 6 minutes. Fast forward three months later and I ran a 23:19 5K in a race I just decided to enter two weeks before it took place. It's just about getting back and then keep going -- it gets easier every day.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Carb abuse and gyms are bad? Now I've heard it all...
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »

I think that you're reading too much into it. Basically what he's saying (or at least how I see it) is that you can't out-train a bad diet. Which is true. First you need to fix what goes in, then we can start working on exercise.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Op- I just started and I'm just taking it really slow. I eat my daily recommended calories and I don't push myself. I can't run yet, so I walk. I just started a new gym class and I take my time and do what I can. I also find it helpful to have support from my MFP friends, they motivate me and help me with accountability.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    OP I think we all have been where you are at some time or another. For me I just had to start over again where I was. I have been doing the C25k for about three months but not consistently so some weeks I have to start again. Its about taking it slow and doing what you can. I have started over so many times I have lost count, but one day I will get the 35 pounds off. And you too will reach your goals. Good luck
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

It's not the carbs... the problem is we eat too much so we gain. Stop blaming the types of foods and take the responsibility for the true problem which is learn how to put down the fork and walk away.

As for the gym leading to weight gain??? Really?? Let's see I've lost over 120 lbs, in that time I've worked out and like know I'm recovering from surgery and not working out... still losing because I know that I just can't eat as much while being less active.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    The issue is you picked an end date. Pick a start date, sure. Today even. But then it has to be "forever", not "I'm doing this toward a goal date on a calendar". Because if you do this, you have to do it forever, or you'll be right back where you are today.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »

I think that you're reading too much into it. Basically what he's saying (or at least how I see it) is that you can't out-train a bad diet. Which is true. First you need to fix what goes in, then we can start working on exercise.

I'm pretty sure he explicitly said using a gym can lead to weight gain and that he is a carb abuser.

But, it doesn't really matter. The fact is, to be successful in weight and fitness goals, you have to own your personal responsibility. Carbs didn't make anyone fat - over eating makes people fat. Gyms don't cause weight gain, overeating because you are using the gym as an excuse to eat more leads to weight gain.
  • Wheelhouse15
    zipa78 wrote: »

Actually, this poster is well known and what he said wasn't actually taken out of context for who we know him to be. He believes that carbs are evil and that 0g is a good goal.

Your post is bang on, his -- not so much.