Running Schedule/ Running combating depression/anxiety.

What are all the runner's running schedules like?

I'm currently running about 3 to 4 days a week, but looking into bumping it up to every day with maybe one rest day, not sure if that will cause injury or not, so i'm looking for some advice.

Reason being is running seems to REALLY help my anxiety/depression, if I have more than 1 day where I don't run, I start to become really anxious which leads to depression for me...not sure if I should just jump back on the meds, or if I should try running more.

Any advice on scheduling would be great, or if you have a similar experience with running helping depression/anxiety, i'd love to hear from you as well.

Was sort of thinking for just doing a mile or so on my normal rest days, and then at least 5ks on my normal run days, and then a long run on the weekend. Granted a mile may not be enough...

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    I think it would really depend on how much running you're already doing whether running every day would be a problem or not. I'm sure there are runners out there who run every day but I'm not one of them. I don't need it for my training and I'd rather not get injured.

I lift on the days I don't run. Have you tried strength training? I love it at least as much as running. You get quite an emotional lift out of completing a set knowing you gave it your all or moving up to a new weight because you've crushed the lighter one. I also love that I'm getting strong and I can see muscle definition. It's even helped my running because my leg muscles are stronger.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Is running the only thing that works? You might want to try different kinds of exercise, like circuit training or weight lifting, to balance out the running.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    I do better with more cross-training, just generally am less likely to feel overtrained or have issues with soreness. So when I'm running a lot (for me) I usually try to keep a consistent 4 day/week schedule and also mix in biking, swimming, and weights. However, I know plenty of people do 6 days/week--the trick is to mix up distances and make sure you have some shorter run days and some lower intensity run days, so what you are talking about seems to make sense.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    I don't have a gym membership nor weights at the moment. So if I want to strength train, which i do, and I know i SHOULD, (that's my goal this year anyways) i'll need to use my own body weight and or buy some weights off craigslist.

I just didn't think I would get the sort of "high" i get from running from lifting, but I should try it.
  • veganbettie
    maybe i'll try the really short runs, or even try sprinting?

And then do normal runs the other days....

I know people do running streaks, and I've only been running for about a year, so i'm pretty new to it. I'm just so impressed that it's really helped me SO much for my crazy mental state.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I get that. It's huge for me for mood issues/anxiety too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

I know people do running streaks, and I've only been running for about a year, so i'm pretty new to it. I'm just so impressed that it's really helped me SO much for my crazy mental state.

The biggest concern I have is that you've been only running fora year and running every day very well could lead to injury and you'd probably be worse off.

Join the Long Distance Runner group here and toss this to them. We've got a lot of experienced runners in the group.

As for strength training, check out the Nerdfitness body weight routine to get you going
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Sorry about your anxiety and depression situation, but good for you for trying to medicate with movement rather than meds. Do you like the outdoors part of running? Would fast walking work as cross-training? Or cycling perhaps (if you have a bike)?
  • veganbettie
    603reader wrote: »

The biggest concern I have is that you've been only running fora year and running every day very well could lead to injury and you'd probably be worse off.

Join the Long Distance Runner group here and toss this to them. We've got a lot of experienced runners in the group.

As for strength training, check out the Nerdfitness body weight routine to get you going

Ya that's why I asked. :) I was worried, i am in that group, i'll post there as well, and I do love the nerdfitness site. Thank you. :)

i know it's so important to have rest days, so i'm just playing with the idea really. Imagine if I freaking hurt myself and had to take longer than two days off? I would be a freaking wreck.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I run every other day, usually MWF. 2 of those days are interval training. The third is an endurance run. If due to weather or work I miss a run, I can go back to back days, but I try not to do that very often.
  • AglaeaC
    Hal Higdon has various running plans on his website btw. Even though you wouldn't use the plans, there are ideas for cross-training etc. that are valuable.
  • lishie_rebooted

Ya that's why I asked. :) I was worried, i am in that group, i'll post there as well, and I do love the nerdfitness site. Thank you. :)

i know it's so important to have rest days, so i'm just playing with the idea really. Imagine if I freaking hurt myself and had to take longer than two days off? I would be a freaking wreck.

Is a gym membership possible for you?
    Because you could cross-train on the off days with the upright bike, arc trainer, elliptical, erg rower, stair stepper?

If not, do you have a bike? Can you ride outside? Long walks?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    There's probably nothing terrible about running nearly every day as long as you have easy run days where you make sure and take it slow and easy. If you're pushing your pace and mileage every day you could end up with some injuries. Going for a 15 minute run is practically a rest day if you take it easy. I do 5 days in a row some weeks. Adding miles and speed too quickly is what causes injuries, not consecutive running days.

ETA: I've been running Tuesday - Friday and Sunday. Sat and Mon off for the most part. Perfectly acceptable plan.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    There's probably nothing terrible about running nearly every day as long as you have easy run days where you make sure and take it slow and easy. If you're pushing your pace and mileage every day you could end up with some injuries. Going for a 15 minute run is practically a rest day if you take it easy. I do 5 days in a row some weeks. Adding miles and speed too quickly is what causes injuries, not consecutive running days.

What this guy said. Short days between longer days, some hard, some easy. Make sure to take off one day a week to rest.

I alternate three days of Nordic Track skiing (60 min sessions) with three days of running (2 - 70 min sessions with a long run on Saturday). The skiing gives me good cardio (and a little bit of arm/shoulder work) without the pounding.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Stress relief is one of the reasons I run! I have started strength, because I know I should, but nothing eases my mind like a nice run.

Maybe you could try slowly adding a short strength workout a couple of times a week, and on the days you strength train just try to get a 15 or 20 minute run in. I find that even 15 minutes will change my mental state.

Add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • veganbettie
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Sorry about your anxiety and depression situation, but good for you for trying to medicate with movement rather than meds. Do you like the outdoors part of running? Would fast walking work as cross-training? Or cycling perhaps (if you have a bike)?

walking might help. :) Its hard to squeeze everything in though, got a toddler at home.
  • veganbettie
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

ETA: I've been running Tuesday - Friday and Sunday. Sat and Mon off for the most part. Perfectly acceptable plan.

makes sense thank you.
  • lishie_rebooted

walking might help. :) Its hard to squeeze everything in though, got a toddler at home.

Walk the toddler
  • veganbettie

Walk the toddler

Can I put him on a leash?
  • AglaeaC

Walk the toddler

Beat me to it :)
  • veganbettie
    i do push him in the stroller, i used to run with him when it was warmer as well, but he gets antsy as all hell and quickly turns something that is supposed to be relaxing into something stressful.

Love my little guy a ton, but he IS two after all. lol
  • AglaeaC
    i do push him in the stroller, i used to run with him when it was warmer as well, but he gets antsy as all hell and quickly turns something that is supposed to be relaxing into something stressful.

Love my little guy a ton, but he IS two after all. lol

Could you trick him with a game of some kind? "Count" cars/cows/whatever is applicable? Find the next dog or old man with hat or such? Anything to make him look forward to the runs so that they would be a joy for the both of you?
  • lishie_rebooted

Walk the toddler

They make toddler leashes. Homes with a monkey or some other fuzzy creature as a backpack
  • AglaeaC

Walk the toddler

They make toddler leashes. Homes with a monkey or some other fuzzy creature as a backpack

Lol both sis and I were in an actual kid leash when growing up. Nothing fancy at all but we're still around so can't have been too bad.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited December 2014

Walk the toddler

Lol both sis and I were in an actual kid leash when growing up. Nothing fancy at all but we're still around so can't have been too bad.

I don't think my leash had a monkey either lol
  • veganbettie
    for the record I would never put my kid on a leash....as tempting as it might be... lol

He does better if he has some sort of game or movie to watch, but i just hate handing him a phone or something you know?

Gotta do what I gotta do though. Most of the time his dad can stay home though, so its been ok.
  • AglaeaC
    for the record I would never put my kid on a leash....as tempting as it might be... lol

He does better if he has some sort of game or movie to watch, but i just hate handing him a phone or something you know?

Gotta do what I gotta do though. Most of the time his dad can stay home though, so its been ok.

I wasn't kidding about the leash. I'd rather have him/her within safe distance in a crowd than gone forever.

I actually meant spotting stuff in the surroundings, since you are outdoors anyway :) Could be fun for you too.
  • veganbettie
    ya i just can't do it. I understand why people would, but I just couldn't.

Ya that's a great idea, but to be honest, I like the zoning out and the "me time" the running gives me. But in a pinch that would work great.

I've been trying to run in the mornings before any one gets up, still working on doing that though.

Thank you for the advice. :)
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    @OP - I use running for stress/depression management as well. It can be very tempting to run 5-6 times a week and I have done some back to back 8 km runs - and my joints always end up paying for that. I find if I do 2-3 long distance runs/week and then short 2 km runs on the days I do weight lifting, I still get the emotional benefit of the run without the wear and tear...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    ya i just can't do it. I understand why people would, but I just couldn't.

Ya that's a great idea, but to be honest, I like the zoning out and the "me time" the running gives me. But in a pinch that would work great.

I've been trying to run in the mornings before any one gets up, still working on doing that though.

Thank you for the advice. :)

Don't give up the "me" time! Exercising with your child can be very rewarding, but you still deserve your run time alone! It is not just about the physical.

I sometimes run with my 13 year old, and it is a great time for us to talk. He will open up like no other time. But I still want my "alone time" runs. Sometimes I call them Mental Health Runs!

OP, I think you will find a way to work this out if you heed the advice of several and just make sure you don't take long runs every day. You should also be able to listen to your body. Now that I am older, sometimes my body just doesn't feel like a run every day, especially if it has been a physically intense work day for me. On those days I will alternate walking and slow running (like 5 minute walk, then 5-10 minute run) for 30-45 minutes. This usually gets me the same stress reduction. And it is better than just a walk for that.