night out

Options
ok am into my third week of counting calories and every day so far bar two ive been under my 1500 , a good few days a hundred or so under, first big night out now and im going to be way over for the day, should i be beating myself up about this.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nope. You should enjoy yourself. You probably should be eating more than 1500 to begin with so a night out of going over will probably be a good thing.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.

Special occasions happen. In these cases, you can try to be mindful of what you eat/drink, but otherwise, log it and move on.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Nope. You should enjoy yourself. You probably should be eating more than 1500 to begin with so a night out of going over will probably be a good thing.

This. 41 year old male with about 40 lbs to lose according to your profile likely should not have calories set at 1500 cals/day. I eat considerably more than that and I am 5'2 female.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As others said, enjoy it. If you can, do a bit more exercise (more for your mind than weight loss). Also, stay away from drinking your calories (alcohol, sugary drinks, etc.). It adds up very fast.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change. If you're going to continue/maintain your weight loss, you're going to have to figure out how to negotiate nights out, special occasions, holidays, random pizza days in the office... Sometimes you might choose a salad or pass on the cake, but other times you're going to enjoy it (guilt-free, hopefully). It's all about moderation. Enjoy your night out, then stick with your plan tomorrow.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    No. You shouldn't be beating yourself up about this.

But it is understandable it's causing you some stress. If you're new to the whole counting calories thing, going over can make you feel like you screwed up. But you didn't. You were simply over your calories for the day.

Weight loss and maintenance are long-term processes that will take many weeks and months, and may even become lifelong habits, if you choose to do that. One overage day every now and then won't hurt. It's when you start seeing overage days become frequent occurrences that you need a mind-check and see if your healthy behaviors are HABITS and less-healthy ones are exceptions to the rule.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    should i be beating myself up about this.

Yes, demand perfection or settle for mediocrity