The same advice over, and over, and over....

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
I notice at times there is an edge to the advice from a long-time poster, just a smidgen of impatience. We also have a few "pet peeve" threads running strong. I get it. A newbie stumbles on here, eager to loose those extra pounds, and somehow breezes right past the anchored threads helpfully titled, "Read This First".

It's old news for many here, but fresh information for every newbie.

I learned something from the Pike's Place Fish dudes who were inspiration for the Fish! Philosophy employee engagement program.

These fishmongers find a way to "make their day" for every customer who wanders in to their stall. I experienced this myself when I finally made pilgrimage there, walking away with a copy of their latest book signed by all the guys. When someone starts their day with the intention of making a difference no matter how small, maybe a lowly fishmonger can move a plump Canadian executive to tears. Maybe magic happens in a simple fishmonger's stall just for being real, and providing simple human connection.

Being real and finding connection can't be faked. It energizes, inspires. It touches both the giver and the newbie.

As a final word of warning, a Vlog brother noted that venting spleen feeds the flames rather than extinguishing them.

Does Venting Anger Feed or Extinguish the Flame? Catharsis, Rumination, Distraction, Anger, and Aggressive Responding Bushman

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I saw a video of the fish guys, it would be such a cool atmosphere to work in and something to strive towards.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    This is spot on, and something many of us could stand to be reminded of. Especially considering the new year with all it's resolutions is right around the corner. We have to anticipate the forums are going to be full of new people with all their questions and misconceptions.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The fishmongers have a nickname for the office staff who hang around over lunch. They are called the "yogurt dudes". I successfully implemented the Fish! philosophy for my team of government workers and we won an award. Sadly, my leadership failed to see how these very same principles can work everywhere, not just at the fish market. Wherever we are, we can all fill our days with a little fun, a little joy.

By the way, this thread was in serious risk of dying of loneliness. Thank you so much for contributing.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I also work for the feds and we had that training here. I took my whole department but the executives made an announcement right before the training that it wasn't to incur overtime, need supervisor approval etc, etc. Essentially discouraging participation and hardly anyone showed up despite many having signed up in advance. I can't wait to go there IRL. I have new staff I wish we could do it again. We all have a stuffed fish on our desk
  • jgnatca
    Options
    YoYo, I hear you. Yeah, they love to show that video in training, then go mental when employees actually follow up. Fish flying all over the place is so....uncontrollable. And a chief civil servant fears the unpredictable more than anything else.

http://www.syntaxconsultancy.com/news/2012/07/01/Our_fish_philosophy/