Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options
1212223242527»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    "Bogus", eh. Where laws for this exist, restaurants will have to do their best to be accurate. And even if they're off, they can't be more off than 80% of mfp users.
    You sure? ;)

I've recounted several instances based on personal experience where the difference between what was planned and what was delivered could easily be off by 50%. I think having the faux data available will do two things.

Negatively impact creativity in the kitchen, and lull consumers into a false sense of security based on what they think is real nutritional information, which would be at best accurate only in best case scenario situations.

Yeah, you're right about the foie gras thing, they'd laugh me outta town if I did that. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    my BF does all our steaks with butter- I pretend to not care- because I'm afraid of how much butter he uses LMAO.

seriously- it's quiet a bit of butter. And it's like a mouthgasm. So I don't care.

Try this sometime. Buy a steak, like a ribeye or a new york. Rub it in butter. Let it sit in the bottom of the fridge, covered with an inverted bowl or plastic container, for a week two 4 weeks. Then cook it.

Legit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked up the nerve to do the aged steak.

I had one at Jacks in NYC- eehhhh something about it in my brain.

I'll talk him into it at some point.
  • dbmata
    Options
    What I usually do is by a vac packed primal and age it for a while before cutting it out.

If I were doing a good knob of say a standing rib roast, I'd do precisely what I mentioned before.

I've also done that with a 2" porterhouse that I let age for 2 weeks. It get a lot smaller, but it was intense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    interesting- how come it doesn't you know- rot?
    -
  • dbmata
    Options
    because magic.

Now you have to do this with decent beef, but it is rotting. You're using the rotting process to achieve greater flavor and better texture. As the meat "ages" (rots) the muscle tissue becomes more broken down by enzymes in the meat, and that results in a softer, finer texture. The reduced water content from the aging of the meat then concentrates the flavor.

The butter helps slow the drying process.
  • dbmata
    Options
    This is why I hate kickstarter.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you spent half as much time worrying about what you ate Mon-Friday from 8-5 than you did on Friday from 5-10 you'd be in way better shape.- physically and mentally.

I *do* worry about it aplenty, which is how I managed to lose over 90 pounds since March.

But life shouldn't always be a worry. It should be lived and enjoyed.

I'd hardly say that my life is a constant worry or not enjoyable. There is much more to life than food. The restaurant thing just kind of really sucks for those without many calories to work with. It is a much less enjoyable experience for me than it was before I changed my eating habits around around but that's life.
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

Would you consider losing 8 pounds a month instead of 9, if it meant you wouldn't need to be totally stressed out about going out to dinner 1-2x a month? Or even once a month?

If you enjoy dining out, this is something to consider.

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Good grief. Anybody that worried about calorie counts should not be ordering anything fried, sauteed, or covered in sauce to begin with.

Once those are eliminated, it's really not hard to get reasonable guesses on the rest.

You would think so. But you can't really know because you can't see the food being prepared.

Most of us know the calorie count of a steak. But we don't know what was done to that steak before it reached us. I remember watching a Top Chef steakhouse competition and being appalled when one of the chefs literally bathed her steak in butter. She coated it with butter throughout the entire cooking time. She easily could have doubled the calories in the steak.
    That's how they make it taste so good and get the delicious crust on the outside!

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I usually research the restaurant beforehand if I can, to see which choices are best- or I go the way of soup/salad... or just salad :)
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I usually go online to look up the nutritional info of the restaurant I am going to and plan ahead for what I want. Also, I find sticking to things like grilled or rotisserie chicken, or some type of fish or seafood that is grilled helps a lot and of course starting with a salad but keeping most of the extras off of it and use very little salad dressings. Drinking a glass or two of water before hand will help you feel full faster and you will be less likely to overeat. Plus the water will help with any sodium you need to get rid of. Exercising after eating out helps as well. I use to get really upset about going out to eat (sometimes still do) but, anything you gain from it is most likely more water weight due to the sodium the put in everything. And one bad meal won't make you gain all your weight back over night. You lost it once, you will lose it again and no biggie unless you make it a routine habit.