Heart Rate Monitor Data Interpretation

Options
Hello-

Within the last two weeks; I've started working on the treadmill for the sake of burning calories and increasing muscle mass.

I chose the treadmill as it's lower impact; earlier in the spring I started running and working on a stepper... too much too soon and awoke a previous knee problem. All better now.

To appease my ego yet coddle my knees; I am walking at 11.5% incline, but at a very low speed (3.2 mph). I used to exercise fanatically; so this is really granny gear for me. My routine started at 208 calories, adding 10 calories a day, currently at 322 calories. So; it's not a long workout, just under 30 minutes.

The first week was pretty tough and I suspect I was overdoing it (cardio-wise). This week; I don't feel like I need a defibrillator; but it's still a challenge. My intent is to start increasing the speed by .1 mph as I'm ready. My recovery this week is very fast compared to last week; I know I'm making progress.

I've spent this week researching heart rate monitors and finally settled on Tickr X. Today was the maiden voyage. UPS delivery: 2PM. On treadmill: 2:05PM.

I'm currently surfing the web for info on how to interpret the data. While surfing & sitting on my gluteus maximus; it would appear that my resting heart rate is 60 bpm. I was viewing real time data as I walked on the treadmill, and for the duration; my readings were 150 slowing walking up to 160 bpm. Even though I feel more comfortable on the last 1/3 of my workout; the bpm never did drop. I found this surprising.

I am looking for a resource that can provide an introduction on the numbers and how to use them. If I understand correctly; if my resting heart rate is 60 bpm, then 100% of that would be 120 bpm and I am operating outside of that. Is there a clause for... 'just getting started'; where results will be higher for a short amount of time? I feel significantly better than last week (too bad I didnt have HRM @ that time!!). My recovery time is much faster as well.

At some point; it would seem logical to use the HRM to maximize my workout, assuming that my workout number is high right now. ? Perhaps I am a couple weeks away from achieving a numeric ratio of rest to workout, then I can start increasing speed/bpm to minimize the time commitment. Hoping.

Adding 10 cals a day at so low a speed is adding over a minute a day to the workout. Doesnt seem like much; but adds up. It was very difficult to make the time commitment in the first place. But, I like it. And..... I've already started perusing row machine equip and pricing. Eek.

In summary; any info on basic bpm data and how to interpret when starting out is appreciated. :smiley:

Thanks in advance...