Help establishing nutritional goals...?

Options
Mocking0jay
Mocking0jay Posts: 24 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I'm developing a plan to lose weight. I plan to consult with a nutritionist at the beginning of the year, but for now I'm winging it and have some questions.

First of all, my stats are that I'm female, 4'11 and currently 195 lbs. My first long term goal is to get back down to 150. I'm wanting to follow a 1,200 calorie diet and lose about 1.5 lbs./week. If my math is correct, I should be to my first long term goal in 6-7 months.

I'm focusing more on realistic weekly totals than daily totals, even though those red/green numbers can become obsessive and hard to overlook.

Question 1: I'm looking at realistic goals based on a baseline I'm currently recording. Does the following sound like a good ratio? If not, what should I change?

120 g Carbs., 60 g. Protein, and 53 g. Fat

Question 2: I currently have my goals set to 0 exercise for 0 minutes, burning 0 calories. I want to work on my food issues and getting my eating under control before I overwhelm myself with tons of fitness goals. Is this a bad idea?

Question 3: The following are in severe deficits: Potassium, fiber, iron, and calcium. I'm thinking about a combination of the following, but:
A. Are there any super foods that aren't calorie dense, so that I can get these levels up?
B. Or would a chewable multivitamin/gummy vitamin be ok just to ensure I'm getting the needed levels?

Any other questions or comments/suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    1. No idea. I don't worry about ratios I just aim to eat lots of healthy food.
    2. That's fine. You may want to think about walking at some point, but baby steps is good.
    3. Eat more veggies to get fibre and vitamins. Don't worry too much about superfoods, just stick to normal ones. Maybe have a chat at your local health food store to get a decent multi. Chewable ones might not be high enough. Also don't take iron supplements unless you have a blood test, because too much can be just as bad as too little.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Question 1: I'm looking at realistic goals based on a baseline I'm currently recording. Does the following sound like a good ratio? If not, what should I change?

120 g Carbs., 60 g. Protein, and 53 g. Fat

1200 calories is far too low for you in my opinion, especially with your current stats. 60g of protein is pathetically low, and you can't really fix that without adding more calories unless you want to do a ketogenic diet (carbs below 30g a day).
    Question 2: I currently have my goals set to 0 exercise for 0 minutes, burning 0 calories. I want to work on my food issues and getting my eating under control before I overwhelm myself with tons of fitness goals. Is this a bad idea?

Not necessarily a bad idea, but it wouldn't hurt to work in a little exercise while you do this, maybe start going for walks or going on hikes. I'd also suggest you start a heavy lifting program such as Stronglifts 5x5. You're going to want to be lifting while you lose weight for good body composition when you hit your goal weight.
    Question 3: The following are in severe deficits: Potassium, fiber, iron, and calcium. I'm thinking about a combination of the following, but:
    A. Are there any super foods that aren't calorie dense, so that I can get these levels up?
    B. Or would a chewable multivitamin/gummy vitamin be ok just to ensure I'm getting the needed levels?

For potassium, you can drink V8 vegetable juice to help. For insoluble fiber, fiber one cereal is a good option. For soluble fiber you can take a supplement like wheat dextrin. A multivitamin is always good to help fill the gaps in nutrition.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Forget about potassium. It is not required to be listed by the FDA so whatever MFP comes up with is not accurate. Foods with iron and fiber include these:
    oatmeal, raisins, beans, lentils, chic peas, sunflower seeds, broccoli, greens like swiss chard, kale, bok choy.
  • Mocking0jay
    Mocking0jay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    1200 calories is far too low for you in my opinion, especially with your current stats. 60g of protein is pathetically low, and you can't really fix that without
    What do you suggest as more realistic for protein and calories?
    For potassium, you can drink V8 vegetable juice to help. For insoluble fiber, fiber one cereal is a good option. For soluble fiber you can take a supplement like wheat dextrin. A multivitamin is always good to help fill the gaps in nutrition.
    Are there any multivitamins you suggest? I've heard that they can make it through the body undigested, which is why I asked about chewables/gummies. Someone said gummies wouldn't be the preferred route.