Help Required

Options
Basically Ive set up my goal etc and bought myself a fitbit charge which i must say is absolutely amazing!

I want to know about general diet etc because the way I look at foods are being good/bad but after reading some posts about aslong as your under your calorie deficit goal you will lose weight by eating what ever?

is this actually true?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yep, caloric deficit = weight loss. The only "bad" food is the stuff you've let rot in the fridge!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes. It's true. Ensuring you're getting the proper amount of nutrients is important, though.

My advice.. Get a food scale and weigh all solids. Measure your liquids. Eat what works for you and stay within your calorie goal. Make sure you calculated the calories you should be consuming correctly.

Adjust for any medical needs..if applicable.
  • RealReliance
    Options
    Thanks! that helps alot :)

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Also, I would not take the fitbit calories burned approximation as actual calories burned. They tend to over estimate. In general, if you eat back exercise calories, eat back half of what's estimated. Of course this is dependent upon how you calculated your deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat the foods that you like just less of them. As long as you hit your calorie and macro goals for the day you will lose weight, assuming that your calorie goal is a calorie deficit..

it really is as easy as that…

I second the food scale advice…weigh/log/measure everything….
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It is true. However I'd still suggest a diet that is higher in protein (to help protect your muscle while you lose weight) and that includes several servings of fruit/veg for overall health.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yep, caloric deficit = weight loss. The only "bad" food is the stuff you've let rot in the fridge!

I like that!!! So many people say that "junk food" is bad for you. If this is a life style change we have to be able to eat what we want in moderation!!!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also, I would not take the fitbit calories burned approximation as actual calories burned. They tend to over estimate. In general, if you eat back exercise calories, eat back half of what's estimated. Of course this is dependent upon how you calculated your deficit.

I definitely wouldn't take it as written on a stone tablet but I find that Fitbit doesn't overestimate for me-- I've been maintaining on my fitbit calories for nearly a year and I eat back every one. Best course of action imo is to be willing to adjust if you do find that it's wrong for you.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Basically Ive set up my goal etc and bought myself a fitbit charge which i must say is absolutely amazing!

I want to know about general diet etc because the way I look at foods are being good/bad but after reading some posts about aslong as your under your calorie deficit goal you will lose weight by eating what ever?

is this actually true?

I feel the need to clarify ... No one can out-gym poor eating choices - there's just not enough hours in the day! lol

For example on 1500 Calories:
    • 6 Donut Holes, Coffee w/Heavy cream & 3 sugars
    • Sandwich with Mayo on White Bread with chips and diet soda
    • Double hamburger plain with small fries
    May be under 1500 - so yea it's a deficit technically, but the amount of sugar, simple carbs, and fat will not help anyone to lose weight eating like this.

For example on 1500 Calories:
    • Whole Fruit & Oatmeal
    • Sandwich on Whole Grain Bread with veggie sticks and water
    • Grilled chicken breast with veggies & quinoa
    May also be over 1500 - but overall less sugar, simple carbs, and fat will help the body to be more efficient in combination with regular exercise.

I wouldn't necessarily deem certain foods 'bad' or 'good.'

I'd try to look at foods more in terms of 'nutritious' or 'empty fillers.' There's nothing wrong with periodic indulgence as long as portions are kept in check, but overall, the quality of 'eating whatever' is a imperative to losing weight.

Best of luck to you!
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would have to disagree slightly ... calories in vs calories out will only get you so far. As your body and metabolism adjust, what those calories consist of (macros) becomes very important. And as far as your overall health goes - eating healthier, less processed foods more often should be what you aim for, more than trying to figure out ways to squeeze in the foods that are not good for you based on your calories. Trust me, we all eat it (my diary is open and I am no angel) but I am doing a fitness competition next year and it most certainly isnt as simple as calories in and calories out.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If the only goal is to lose weight, it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you don't eat too much. But if you also want to be healthy, eating empty calories is not good. That's not to say you should avoid them altogether, but you do need to get all your necessary vitamins and minerals.