Lemon Verbena Recipes? Chicken maybe?

Options
sroseber
sroseber Posts: 197 Member
We just went to the greenhouse/nursery yesterday and picked up some veggie and herb plants for our garden and got them all planted today. We got a wonderful smelling herb plant called lemon verbena...smells just like lemon drops candy! Today we made some homemade lemonade and crushed up some leaves in and put them in the lemonade...SO GOOD! The lady that sold it to us said there is something called Lemon Verbena Chicken and that I could probably find a recipe for it online but so far no luck. Wondering if anyone had any recipes using lemon verbena but especially fish or chicken (or other meat) dishes?

Replies

• canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Here is one using lemon thyme. I'm sure you could substitute lemon verbeena which would just give a stronger lemon flavour.

* Lemon Thyme Chicken (Serves 4)
    * 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast 12-15 sprigs of thyme or lemon thyme
    * 4 large garlic cloves mashed 2 T. lemon juice
    * 2 T. olive oil Freshly ground black pepper
    * Salt (optional)

Place chicken in a dish large enough to hold it all in one layer. Break thyme sprigs in half and bruise them. Scatter over chicken with garlic. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and black pepper. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 6-8 hours, turning 2-3 times. Prior to cooking brush marinade off chicken. Grill over medium hot coals (or in broiler) for about 10 minutes. Turn frequently and sprinkle with a little salt when almost done. Note: Other chicken parts and skinless chicken can also be used in this flavorful dish.
  • sroseber
    Options
    Thanks canroadrunner! I saw a few recipes online using lemon thyme but I've never used it and didn't know how "lemony" it was and if I could swap it with the lemon verbena. That recipe sounds really good...we LOVE garlic around here! :laugh:
  • sroseber
    Options
    Thanks canroadrunner! I saw a few recipes online using lemon thyme but I've never used it and didn't know how "lemony" it was and if I could swap it with the lemon verbena. That recipe sounds really good...we LOVE garlic around here! :laugh: