Resistance before or after HIIT

Options
Yo people first time poster but been following a while.

As my title says is it best to do resistance/strength workout before or after a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) session or do it on a different day to the HIIIT session .

Any thoughts welcome.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Different day. HIIT if done properly should be more than enough workout for one day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    neither.

Don't do them back to back.

To much work ultimately.

But if you have to do them- lift first- then do your HIIT afterwards.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It would be best to do them on different days so that you can put your full effort in. Just keep in mind that your muscles grow on rest days, so make sure you give yourself a break at some point.

If you do both HIIT and resistance on the same day the order depends on your goals. if you primarily want to build muscle, lift first. If fat burning is your priority then do HIIT first.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But if you have to do them- lift first- then do your HIIT afterwards.

Yeah, definitely do it after if you must. I'm often on a time crunch and will do my intervals after training and my performance isn't as good as it would when I come in fresh without RT before-hand. However I have adequate recovery time so overall it doesn't have any negative affect on my cumulative training.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks folks, At the moment I am fat burning and keeping muscles toned but not bulked. I have started to do HIIT on the spin bike three days a week and use the Bodylastics Resistance bands for strength training three times a week I also have two moderate recovery rides for an hour each on two days a week.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lifting is always best before any cardio session (HIIT on spin bike). Absolutely love spin bikes!!
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    Yeah I have just discovered them lol, what a workout you get, though I think the calories burned on my spin bike is a bit optimistic, 700 calories in 36.00 mins don't sound right ?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Ok thanks folks, At the moment I am fat burning and keeping muscles toned but not bulked. I have started to do HIIT on the spin bike three days a week and use the Bodylastics Resistance bands for strength training three times a week I also have two moderate recovery rides for an hour each on two days a week.

Losing weight comes from a calorie deficit. Toning comes from reducing fat to show existing muscle. Bulking requires a crap ton of work and a calorie surplus. You will absolutely not bulk while eating at a deficit and using resistance bands, so don't worry about that. Do strength work to maintain muscle, watch your food intake to lose weight, do cardio/HIIT for the heart and lungs and/or if you need to create a deficit on account of eating too much. If you want significant strength or cardiovascular improvements, don't do both on the same day. Just my 2 cents.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i can't.

I just can't.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Strength before cardio.
  • DeeTee68
    Options