weight loss help

Options
I need to lose 27 pounds as quickly as possible so I can have knee surgey. The problem is I am in chronic pain due to this and other health problems which is limiting my mobility quite a bite. Going to a gym and most forms exercise I can't tolerate due to extreme pain. Even walking is difficult to due. Any suggestions would be helpful.

i

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You lose weight in the kitchen so follow the MFP calorie guide, weigh on a digital scale and log everything you eat

Stick to your calorie defecit and the weight will fall off

Once you can move more you can add in the exercise for the benefits, but it's not necessary to losing weight
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

youtube.com/results?search_query=seated++exercises

walgreens.com/q/hot-and-cold-packs

My physical therapist told me to use gel pack (regular ice packs work just as well) about five times a day to reduce inflammation and swelling. Keep them on for 15-20 mins and then put back in the freezer.
    Lowering calories is more important for weight loss than exercise is.
    Look for sitting or floor exercise on Youtube:
  • jcbgs
    jcbgs Posts: 26
    Options
    Ok thanks to rabbitjb and RodaRose. I will try theses.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit equals weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I agree that the most important part of losing weight is your food. Get a good kitchen scale and weigh and measure and log EVERYTHING! Check with your doctor as to how many lb. a week you can safely lose. Is 27 lb to get to your goal weight, or is that just a surgery weight and you have more to lose later?

Did your surgeon give you the name of a physical therapist for pre-surgery exercises? If not, call and ask if it is appropriate for you (my Mom was given some before she had her knees replaced). They usually have some that you can do in order to strengthen the muscles in the leg that will aid in healing and regaining mobility after surgery. They often are the same that you will be doing to rehab
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Dear GOD, PREHAB. See a physical therapist if at all humanly possible and do what they say. I've had reconstructive surgery on my knee, and if I hadn't prehabbed, I would have gotten stuck on the toilet from not being able to do a one-legged squat, and would have not been able to handle being on crutches.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they said see a PT. Some exercise will actually ease the pain. Maube some exercise in water might support your body weight. In any event you need to consult with Dr and do it under supervision or guidance of PT.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just stay at or below your calorie goal. But one thing I looked at your food diary and your calories for rice seems too high. I would check the package to double check somethings in the database are wrong. Another thing to look out for is if its supposed to be measured cooked vs uncooked.