Losing those last 5 kg

Options
rizlah01
rizlah01 Posts: 35 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there

I'm sure this had been asked before but I can't find any answers on here.

I've been dieting and training hard since may and lost over 35kg

Strict calorie controlled diet and gym 5 times a week.

I stayed walking and wearing a great monitor and just keeping my heart rate at about 80% which worked wonders but as I expected the more weight I lost the harder it became.

I now run about 7km at 9km/h 3 times a week and do intervals twice where I push myself up to 90% heart rate for 4 minutes every 8.

The problem is I've stopped loading weight and it actually feels like I'm retaining water.

I watch my salt intake and drink 8-10 glasses of water every day.

I only want to lose about another 3-5kg.

Can anyone give me some tips on how I could do this or what I might be doing wrong

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if you think you're retaining water just wait it out and at some point your body will dump it
  • rizlah01
    Options
    Is there anyway to encourage the body to dump it
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The body retains water when it needs to heal. I suppose you could try taking anti-inflammatories to see if that helps, but personally, I would suggest waiting it out, unless you are in pain or have other symptoms.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    rizlah01 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to encourage the body to dump it

refeeds can cause you to dump it overnight, does your fat feel squishy or softer than normal? if it does than it's likely water retention by the body due to homeostasis

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would change something. Eat more for a week. Don't run for a week. Do yoga or weights only or something. Just change something and see what happens. Be sure you're not overtraining. Sometimes too you just have to wait out a plateau.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The last 5-10 is the hardest. Logging has to be tight!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    A lot of times taking a diet break also helps.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Describe your strength training routine.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I would change something. Eat more for a week. Don't run for a week. Do yoga or weights only or something. Just change something and see what happens. Be sure you're not overtraining. Sometimes too you just have to wait out a plateau.

^^^this

And be patient! I've been on my last 3kg for the last 6mth...At some point I accepted the fact and just decided maintaining is ok for the moment. In 2015 they will go.

If it is water retention - more potassium can help. Keep your potassium higher than your sodium to get rid of the water.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The last 5-10 is the hardest. Logging has to be tight!

^^ This and patience
  • rizlah01
    Options
    Thanks all. I upped my water in take and also increased daily calories by 500 and at the same time dropped back to 5km runs instead of 7 and within a few days I was peeing half the night for 2 nights stertorous and now I'm trending down again. Got about 3-4kg to go and I'll be at target weight. Not sure what I'll do after that. I want to keep running and would love to try a half marathon so that might be the goal for mid year.
  • rizlah01
    Options
    Oh. I only upped by 500 for a couple of days. I'm back to usual now :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The reason the last 10lbs is the hardest is best you have the least amount of room for error. So the bigger question is, how accurate and consistent is your logging? Do you use a food scale and do you log everything?
  • rizlah01
    Options
    Hi

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I don't weigh everything because I Travel with work 3 weeks out of four and therefore eat in restaurants. The week I am home I do weigh.

However I have now nearly hit my target. I really think it's been water retention as I Experienced the woosh effect last night and today I'm very nearly on target