I lost 120 pounds total but I also lost my "fat guy strength"

Options

Replies

• derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well done on everything you have accomplished. I have noticed the same thing - at 194lb I was far stronger than I am now at 154lb and have lost a lot of muscle from my back and legs. I didn't see that one coming but it is very noticeable in my physical job.
    Thank you and trust me about the physical job part I catch shoplifters for a living . lol
  • derkin2005
    Options
    Agfadoc wrote: »
    Dude, excellent work, I am inspired. I would rather be slender and fit over fat and strong. Now at least you are at a baseline that you can decide if you want to build strength or stay where you are. It's a feat to get to where you have gotten, if you can do that, then you can do anything. Great job.
    Thank you for the kind words.

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Great work, and yes, you will lose strength. Force = mass x acceleration
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Being in a calorie surplus is a very hard change after being so strict lol but I understand. Thank you[/quote]

Congrats on your accomplishment and best of luck.

I started maintenance in January 2014 and totally understand where you're at. It requires a mindset change since now your goal has changed from losing weight to maintaining weight, increasing strength and adding muscle. I started by eating at maintenance and started a progressive lifting program (All Pro Routine). Since I was a newbie to weight training I had some positive strength gains. I'm now at the point where I will need to probably start eating at a slight surplus to continue progressing. My focus is shifting from body weight to body composition or Body Fat %.
  • derkin2005
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Being in a calorie surplus is a very hard change after being so strict lol but I understand. Thank you[/quote]

Congrats on your accomplishment and best of luck.

I started maintenance in January 2014 and totally understand where you're at. It requires a mindset change since now your goal has changed from losing weight to maintaining weight, increasing strength and adding muscle. I started by eating at maintenance and started a progressive lifting program (All Pro Routine). Since I was a newbie to weight training I had some positive strength gains. I'm now at the point where I will need to probably start eating at a slight surplus to continue progressing. My focus is shifting from body weight to body composition or Body Fat %. [/quote]

This is exactly where I am, thank you
  • derkin2005
    Options
    Great work, and yes, you will lose strength. Force = mass x acceleration

lol fair enough and thank you
  • leichtwork
    Options
    derkin2005 wrote: »
    So I worked out A LOT while losing the weight (it took one year). In the 10 months since I have been in maintenance mode. I gain I lose repeat. As of right now I am down from 264 to around 153 lowest was 144. While I have noticed significant muscle gain I have def lost some of the strength I had as a larger guy. Is this commonplace? I am happy where I;m at just making adjustments...

I started to notice the same thing when I was losing weight the first time. I went from 300 to 190. When I got down to about 240 I notice my strength was way down. So the last 50 pounds I lost was through hitting the weights even harder to build mass and I lost the last 50 pounds even faster then the first 50 pounds. Well life to a change and I went right back up to 275 and in a month I have dropped down to 243. All by doing strength training. But that is besides the point. If you enjoy going to the gym, adjust you training to gear more towards building mass. The weight will go up but when you look at yourself you will see the change and be OK with it. I was frustrated when I started packing on weight but when I saw that my body was leaning out I was OK with it. But if you stop doing it make sure to adjust your diet or you will pack on the bad weight very fast. That is what happen to me. Good luck on building the mass up. Its a slow process but totally worth it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I got about 3000% stronger while losing 100lbs but I trained heavy and consistently for the latter 75% of my weight loss or so. Losing weight too quickly and/or without consideration for serious weight lifting will definitely result in a significant amount of LBM loss and likely a lot of strength along with it. It's pretty typical, honestly.
  • ae92jay
    ae92jay Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Looking good! Amazing results! You inspire me to push harder to not ever give up. So i can reach my goal weight!
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    1.) AMAZING job!
    2.) Time to bulk :P lol

Grats!
  • My_Fitness_Journey2020
    Options
    Awesome job! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I totally feel what you are saying. I do want to get stronger not really about looks. Not gonna lie though you bust your *kitten* to see the numbers on a scale go down it is a lot harder to watch them go up. I am at 153 atm when I was at 144 I was told I looked "sick" quite often. Again that never entered my frame of mind some of the weight I have gained I am sure is muscle , some not. I am ok with that the goal when I started this was to see my daughter grow up, I feel I have aided in that anything else is a bonus.
    These are beautiful thoughts about your daughter. Keep doing great things. :mrgreen:
  • derkin2005
    Options
    leichtwork wrote: »
    So I worked out A LOT while losing the weight (it took one year). In the 10 months since I have been in maintenance mode. I gain I lose repeat. As of right now I am down from 264 to around 153 lowest was 144. While I have noticed significant muscle gain I have def lost some of the strength I had as a larger guy. Is this commonplace? I am happy where I;m at just making adjustments...

I started to notice the same thing when I was losing weight the first time. I went from 300 to 190. When I got down to about 240 I notice my strength was way down. So the last 50 pounds I lost was through hitting the weights even harder to build mass and I lost the last 50 pounds even faster then the first 50 pounds. Well life to a change and I went right back up to 275 and in a month I have dropped down to 243. All by doing strength training. But that is besides the point. If you enjoy going to the gym, adjust you training to gear more towards building mass. The weight will go up but when you look at yourself you will see the change and be OK with it. I was frustrated when I started packing on weight but when I saw that my body was leaning out I was OK with it. But if you stop doing it make sure to adjust your diet or you will pack on the bad weight very fast. That is what happen to me. Good luck on building the mass up. Its a slow process but totally worth it!
    Impressive man I will look into it.
  • derkin2005
    Options
    2zzjay wrote: »
    Looking good! Amazing results! You inspire me to push harder to not ever give up. So i can reach my goal weight!

:)
  • derkin2005
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    1.) AMAZING job!
    2.) Time to bulk :P lol

Grats!

Thank you that is the goal
  • derkin2005
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I got about 3000% stronger while losing 100lbs but I trained heavy and consistently for the latter 75% of my weight loss or so. Losing weight too quickly and/or without consideration for serious weight lifting will definitely result in a significant amount of LBM loss and likely a lot of strength along with it. It's pretty typical, honestly.

That is really quite impressive.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

This has been my experience ^^ well, Dope is a beast, my strength gains, though there, aren't nearly as impressive.

A couple of things: I was a noob lifter when I started losing. Also, I've taken 2.5 years to lose 100 pounds. The periods during that time in which I've lost faster, I've seen some impacts on my strength (stalls). However, I've never lost at the rate that you have. My understanding is that losing the weight that quickly will impact your Lbm.

Please don't take that as critcism, your loss is impressive, and I am sure that you are much healthier for it. Now you can start some bulk/cut cycles to start getting that strength back.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I, too, have lost 100 pounds this year. No surgery, no pills, no "diet". I don't work out, go to a gym, or do any exercise (I'm inherently lazy when it comes to stuff like that). However, I seem to have gained strength! I feel great, and now I can breathe like a normal person-- no more huffing and puffing. A previous post was right-- when you're really heavy, you are weightlifting. I could have charged admission for people to watch me climb a flight of stairs. Olympic quality, let me tell you.

To address the forum topic: The only change in strength I notice is that if I have to push something (furniture, for example), I have less weight to put into it. That extra 100 lbs moved mountains! All I had to do was lean.
  • bananna30
    bananna30 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! :)
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think I know what your problem is.

As you lose weight your range of motion will change too. You could have added up to 3 inches on the range of your bench. Also your hips and knees will move different on squat and dead lift.

So let me give you some real numbers from my own training. When I started I was 300 and I could only bench an empty bar or 20lb dumbbells. When I hit my goal I was 170 and I could bench 225 for 2 or 3 reps but I could get 110 dumbbells 8 or more easy. I lost a good 10 inches around my chest so the range of the dumbbells always stayed the same but I had to keep relearning the bar movement to go deeper. It took a few months of training at the same size to get the bar movements to back in to ratio of the dumbbells that most other people have. Most 5x5 programs never take this in to account and people put way to much faith in them, pardon the pun but its not one size fits all.

Even with my running I am still learning how to run as a smaller person and I have been this size for 2 years.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!