Cleaning calories

Options
I notice there is always a big debate for if you should or shouldn't count calories from cleaning. Here is why I do and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am doing a massive clean today, I mean my whole house top to bottom, I will be moving furniture, dusting the ceiling, vacuuming, carrying stuff out to my shed, cleaning out every closet, scrubbing baseboards, packing away summer and fall clothes (yes I am that slow lol), scrubbing counters, toilets and bath tubs, cleaning under my fridge and stove, cleaning in my stove and a lot more. That is a lot of hard work that will take me hours, so why are some people so against including that in their exercise for the day?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Because I did all the same crap when I was fat and it didn't make any difference, so why the hell would I count it as exercise now that I am "keeping score"
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Actually it is not my goal to eat back those calories, my goal is to keep track....isn't this what this site is for? keep track of your food and exercise, how much and how hard you move in a day? To just assume I would spend all that time to reward myself with pizza is a very unfair assumption especially since you do not know me, if I was like that I would skip the cleaning and eat the pizza. Do I think you should log sweeping the livingroom, no, but isn't this all about calories in vs calories out?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    I think that is reasonable to count as exercise OP. Not sure how you will measure it though as it is so varied.

I think what people are usually against is counting every day light things like sweeping, hanging clothes on the line etc especially if they over estimate the calorie burn involved.

• spm2010
    Options
    I think that is reasonable to count as exercise OP. Not sure how you will measure it though as it is so varied.

I think what people are usually against is counting every day light things like sweeping, hanging clothes on the line etc especially if they over estimate the calorie burn involved.

See that's what I can say "okay that's a little crazy" to, I put half the time and as light not vigorous because I will not be sweating it out the whole time, sweeping vs scrubbing baseboards...not the same amount of effort put in.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why do you need approval on if you should count it or not. If you think it's something worth counting that's your decision. If you need someone to say yea go ahead.. than it would seem you have doubts on claiming it as exercise and that would make me say no don't count it. But again the decision is entirely up to you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be very careful with the NEAT (MFP) method and logging things as exercise and eating back those "exercise" calories. It is difficult to estimate actual exercise, let alone accurately estimate your calorie burn from a few hours of cleaning.

At least with running and walking and other various forms of cardiovascular work there have been a lot of studies and work done on "perfecting" various formulas for determining calorie burn for these activities...I don't think the same can be said for vacuuming.

Are you going to burn a bit more than you otherwise would? Of course...but really, that number is going to be difficult to accurately determine. If it were me, I'd chalk it up to owing myself a beer...
  • spm2010
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think you have to be very careful with the NEAT (MFP) method and logging things as exercise and eating back those "exercise" calories. It is difficult to estimate actual exercise, let alone accurately estimate your calorie burn from a few hours of cleaning.

At least with running and walking and other various forms of cardiovascular work there have been a lot of studies and work done on "perfecting" various formulas for determining calorie burn for these activities...I don't think the same can be said for vacuuming.

Are you going to burn a bit more than you otherwise would? Of course...but really, that number is going to be difficult to accurately determine. If it were me, I'd chalk it up to owing myself a beer...

Lol my treadmill *kitten* the bed so this is my cardio for the day, or else Id say eff the cleaning and go for a jog.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »
    Actually it is not my goal to eat back those calories, my goal is to keep track....isn't this what this site is for? keep track of your food and exercise, how much and how hard you move in a day? To just assume I would spend all that time to reward myself with pizza is a very unfair assumption especially since you do not know me, if I was like that I would skip the cleaning and eat the pizza. Do I think you should log sweeping the livingroom, no, but isn't this all about calories in vs calories out?

Actually, the reason you track "exercise" on MFP the way you do is because MFP uses the NEAT method of calorie counting...where your activity level is just your day to day hum drum and you account for exercise activity after the fact when you log it. Ever wonder why when you log "exercise" your calorie goal increases? Because that is how this program is actually designed...that is how you account for that activity with MFP.

Other calculators assume some estimate of exercise in your activity level so your overall calorie goals are just higher to begin with. You have to understand the tool and the method utilized by the tool you are using.
  • spm2010
    Options
    So what is the NEAT method? So really is it worth putting in any exercise no matter what is it if they expect me to eat back those calories I just burned? This is where I am confused...if I burn 300 calories why would eating them back be a good idea?
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Personally , things I do all the time , cleaning ,mowing lawn ..jobs around the house get added into my activity level.

Those things I do specifically for exercise, walking, running etc are things that I count as exercise.

If however, it was a long period of work , then by all means add it in, BUT .. not if it's part of what you do all the time, every week or every day. That is your activity level.

Hope that makes some semblance of sense :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think cleaning is part of regular activity level and should not be counted. If I chose to not clean throughout the week and do it all on one day, then that's on me.
  • spm2010
    Options
    Why do you need approval on if you should count it or not. If you think it's something worth counting that's your decision. If you need someone to say yea go ahead.. than it would seem you have doubts on claiming it as exercise and that would make me say no don't count it. But again the decision is entirely up to you

Don't need approval, never asked for it. What I asked is why is there such a big issue for some people when others log cleaning calories. I do not need anyone approval I would just like to know the reasons behind it, am I missing something? are the calories MFP put in for that totally bogus? I honestly do not know which is why I asked. I didn't ask for people to start accusing me of wanting to than shove my face with pizza.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Because I did all the same crap when I was fat and it didn't make any difference, so why the hell would I count it as exercise now that I am "keeping score"

This
  • spm2010
    Options
    markie166 wrote: »
    Personally , things I do all the time , cleaning ,mowing lawn ..jobs around the house get added into my activity level.

Those things I do specifically for exercise, walking, running etc are things that I count as exercise.

If however, it was a long period of work , then by all means add it in, BUT .. not if it's part of what you do all the time, every week or every day. That is your activity level.

Hope that makes some semblance of sense :)

Once a month I do a massive cleanin up, don't have time for anything other than dishes and sweeping so that why I added it.
  • skee80
    skee80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey I think you answered your own question when you said your goal is to keep track. Then you definitely should log everything you do! People with different goals probably have different opinions... the only thing I worry about is that MFP (actually most) calorie burned estimators seem to be inaccurate and estimate more then you actually burn. I feel like the only way that is close to accurate if you get a heart rate monitor and have your body stats punched in.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »

Don't need approval, never asked for it. What I asked is why is there such a big issue for some people when others log cleaning calories. I do not need anyone approval I would just like to know the reasons behind it, am I missing something? are the calories MFP put in for that totally bogus? I honestly do not know which is why I asked. I didn't ask for people to start accusing me of wanting to than shove my face with pizza.
    I'm sure the issue is that a lot of people look at someone logging cleaning as "too lazy to do real exercise". Yet what would be the point of logging it unless they were trying to eat more??
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Personally, I think cleaning is part of regular activity level and should not be counted. If I chose to not clean throughout the week and do it all on one day, then that's on me.

I agree that the regular cleaning is just part of everyday activities and should not be counted. The deep cleaning that the OP is talking about is a 2 to 4 times a year thing (for me) and is above and beyond the normal daily activities built in.

I don't log cleaning calories but I have a fitbit and it gives me steps for cleaning and, after I go above a certain step count, it gives me extra calories. Depending on how many there are (and if I feel hungry or not) I may eat back 1/2 of those.

• Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I believe the every day house work shouldn't be counted as calories burnt, only because those are things you were doing before. But I would def. count a massive house cleaning - I am puertorrican so cleaning to me includes loud music and lots of dancing as well - no workout needed after. Just be careful you don't over estimate the calories burnt.