Diet and Flu (Urgent)

Options
I'm very sick since two days, suffering from cold, flu and sinus issues. I'm maintaining my calorie intake between 900 and 1200 for weight loss. Should I increase my calorie intake or keep it below 1200? Does it affect recovery?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Your intake calorie is way too low.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sick or not, 900 - 1200 is very low.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Eat lots, drink lots, rest lots, get well, enjoy the holidays, then worry about calorie counting.
    You may not recover as well, or as fast eating at a deficit.
    Happy hols, h.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Recovery from an eating disorder or from the cold? Wait, the answer is the same. It will help with both.

Increase your calories when you're sick. Drink your water. Take care of yourself. :)

See your doctor, too. He can help with the sinus issue and can give you a good idea of how many calories you should be eating when you're sick and when you're well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm very sick since two days, suffering from cold, flu and sinus issues. I'm maintaining my calorie intake between 900 and 1200 for weight loss. Should I increase my calorie intake or keep it below 1200? Does it affect recovery?

You only eat 900 cals when you're not ill?? WHY??
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Eat however many calories MFP says you should be eating for your weight and height. It will be more than 1200 calories.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will follow your advice and rise my intake up to maintaining value, hope this will help for quick recover.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options

I'm trying to reduce my body fat percentage below 8% to get rid of flabby abs.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Honey you can do that by eating the RIGHT kinds of food and working out more. Have you ever seen pictures of starving people? Do they have six pack abs? Never. Starving does not equal abs. You have to eat and move to get a low, sustainable body fat percentage!

My trainer is 3% body fat and he eats 3000+ cals a day.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

Honey you can do that by eating the RIGHT kinds of food and working out more. Have you ever seen pictures of starving people? Do they have six pack abs? Never. Starving does not equal abs. You have to eat and move to get a low, sustainable body fat percentage!

I totally agree with you, but I'm still reducing weight. I dropped from 134 Kg to 62 Kg. Since two months I've started weight lifting sessions. I can see total change in my muscles but still there are lots of fat beneath my skin, that's why I'm still dieting. I do care of myself, and watching my nutrition very well. I know 900 cal/day is low, but my intake is well balanced, only carbs are absent, and I focus on protein to build the muscles.

Thanks for your care and advice, I really appreciate it. Correct me if I do mistakes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    wait you are a male eating 900 calories a day.???????
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    you won't be able to build muscle eating at a deficit like that, though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

I totally agree with you, but I'm still reducing weight. I dropped from 134 Kg to 62 Kg. Since two months I've started weight lifting sessions. I can see total change in my muscles but still there are lots of fat beneath my skin, that's why I'm still dieting. I do care of myself, and watching my nutrition very well. I know 900 cal/day is low, but my intake is well balanced, only carbs are absent, and I focus on protein to build the muscles.

Thanks for your care and advice, I really appreciate it. Correct me if I do mistakes.

you are NOT building any muscle eating 900-1200 a day ..more than likely you are losing it at an alarming rate...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    32 year old male normally eating 900 calories and you already weight about 138 lbs? I'm scared to ask how tall you are not that it matters you are drastically under eating. You aren't building muscle as ndj said most likely you are losing it.

You might want to speak with someone cause what you are doing is not healthy
  • TavistockToad
    Options

There's no such thing as flabby abs...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Men shouldn't eat less than 1500 or 1600 per day, flu or no flu. I'm not sure how the calories balance out when you have the flu. You may be burning more as your body tries to fight infection, but you're likely moving less than normal, causing you to burn less. Personally, I would take a week or two to work on feeling better and then I would assess the damage and move on.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have the flu now too.... I am just doing what I can to get by and not wear myself out. I am getting over it thankfully
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wait you are a male eating 900 calories a day.???????

cfdns86ohg2e.gif
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    With respect to all of your advices and comments that I really appreciate. I have to note that during my weight loss journey I didn't lose weight unless I go below 1200, this means one of two things, either all of my calculations are wrong (I think I'm below 1200 while I'm actually over 1200) or my metabolism is adapted to under 1200. I didn't lose my weight until I went below 1200. I know it sounds weird but that exactly what happened. BTW I did medical checks and investigations and all of the results are very well and falls in the normal domain. That's why I think my metabolism is a little bit different, because it is very hard to believe I count my calories in a wrong way as I use food scale and 6 different nutrition tables. On the other side I gain muscles and it is very clear to me, it can't be hidden and very visible to me all around me.

Finally, I would like to thank all of you for your interest and support and waiting for your opinion and advices.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    With respect to all of your advices and comments that I really appreciate. I have to note that during my weight loss journey I didn't lose weight unless I go below 1200, this means one of two things, either all of my calculations are wrong (I think I'm below 1200 while I'm actually over 1200) or my metabolism is adapted to under 1200. I didn't lose my weight until I went below 1200. I know it sounds weird but that exactly what happened. BTW I did medical checks and investigations and all of the results are very well and falls in the normal domain. That's why I think my metabolism is a little bit different, because it is very hard to believe I count my calories in a wrong way as I use food scale and 6 different nutrition tables. On the other side I gain muscles and it is very clear to me, it can't be hidden and very visible to me all around me.

Finally, I would like to thank all of you for your interest and support and waiting for your opinion and advices.

Yep, I think you're a special snowflake.