Low Carb vs. Low Fat...What to do??? Help!!!

Options
I've been trying to watch what I eat for a few months now. The weight isn't falling off, but I'm happy that I've lost anything at all. It's better than where I was before I started, right?

I have a friend who began low carbing 3 weeks ago. He's lost almost 20 pounds. I tried low carbing about 3 years ago and lost a good deal of weight, but I became so bloody tired of not eating meat and fruit. I pretty much followed Atkins for almost 2 years. Then, the weight stopped coming off. For a while, I maintained, but then I started eating again and...voila!!!...the weight I lost was found again.

Now I'm recommitting to losing weight again and on Friday, I seriously considered low carbing/Atkins for a week. After one day, I was already regretting it.

Now, I've heard low-carb/Atkins helps with PCOS which I have. I also have high blood pressure, low iron and IBS.

Low-fat is what I really want to do, but I'm worried that I lose weight too slowly or not at all doing this. On low-carb, I lose weight, but the thought of living and eating like that again almost makes me ill.

The answer is obvious, but I just need to hear/read it.

(Thanks for wading through my thoughts!)

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Try moderate carb, moderate healthy fat (mufa's) and good lean protein (40 30 30). Get a decent amount of calories (probably @ least 1500) and exercise daily and you should be good to go. I still have a bit of weight to lose and it's coming off slowly but the point is it is coming off. :flowerforyou:
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Why not just have a well balance healthy lifestyle?
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    canworms.jpg

There are a lot of differing opinions on this site, and it's a topic that can get a little heated. I'm not really sure what the right answer is, but it might be something to speak with a dietitian about. The important thing is that whatever plan you end up following is safe, sustainable, and will make you feel good.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am on a moderate carb/low fat/ high protein diet. I eat fruit, veggies, WHOLE GRAINS, and lots of lean protein. I eat sweets sparingly (like TOM). I eat whole wheat or bran crisp breads instead of bread, I rarely eat pasta or potatoes, but I have a sweet potato at least once a week. I eat A LOT of fruit. And A LOT of vegetables. And I have 4oz of very lean steak twice a week.

This works for me bc I know I can live without bread and fatty food. I don't even crave the other stuff. I also allow myself treats when my husband and I eat out, so I don't feel deprived.

I think you need to diet in a way that works for your lifestyle. If you always fall off the wagon, then what's the point? The whole idea is to get it off and keep it off.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS.. it sucks.. BECAUSE I LOVE SWEETS..... So my dr reccommended High FIBER low fat breads made with WHOLE GRAINS.. about 30 carbs total a meal (for bread) then Furits and veggies at each meal... I also eat a lot of protein... BUT like chiken and tuna fish. I eat hamburger once or twice a week ( I make taco salads they are my fav) so I don't deprive my self.. I drink Diet Pepsi when I feen for pop, and I allow my self Ice cream as long as my sugar and carbs are good for the day. ( this last week has been killer on me with functions) but I am down 15 lbs and have not gained it back. I am trying to loose slowly so I don't gain it back. I hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    another pcos-er here. my dietician set my macro-nutrients to 45% protien, 30% fats and 25% carbs. it works for me (and i LOVE pasta) and is something i can sustain, especially with a few cheat meals or cheat days thrown in each month. good luck!
    dawn
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    And yet another PCOS'er...................

I was told by 3 different dieticians, and a couple of nutritionists along with a Naturopathic Doctor and my Endocrinologist that the only way to control the symptoms of PCOS and lose weight and keep it off is lower the carbs.

Why does the thought of eating low carb make you feel ill?

Atkins, if done by the book is one of the most balanced eating plans out there. It is just very structured on how you add in your higher carb foods so you can find out if any type of food has any intolerances to your body.

Did you go by the book and through all 4 phases? If so, you should have been eating protein, lots of veggies, fruit, nuts, beans, dairy and whole grains.............
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I don't like low carb because of the side effects, hair loss and fatigue, but those side effects effect me and we are all made different.
    Just wondering what is PCOS?
    I have done low carb several times and each time I do it I lose less weight on it. I do not think my body type is ccompatible with low carb. Good luck, I hope you find what works best for you.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I didn't intend to open up a can of worms (great visual SquidinTraining) and I'm relatively new so I didn't realize this could be a contentious topic, so sorry.

Please let's not start drama. I truly was just wanting someone to tell me to go with a balanced diet and forget about my friend who is losing weight rapidly following a diet that clearly works, but bores me. It should be obvious, but my health woes and need to lose weight make me kinda desperate to do so...and fast. But slow and steady wins the race too, right?

July24Lioness, I've read Dr. Atkins' book...a few times. I followed the plan and lost about 60 pds a few years ago for 2 years. I think my reluctance comes with having done it before and just being bored with it.

I think I know a balanced diet is what works for me now. Thanks everyone for the input and for the helpful tips.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sorry jessicajoy87. You must have posted while I was responding.

PCOS = Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    But slow and steady wins the race too, right?

Exactamundo.

You can do it, and do it a way that makes you feel comfortable. :)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I think you answered your own question in your OP. If you tried a diet, lost weight and then went back to your regular eating and gained it back then it's not right for you. You have 2 choices: 1) make a lifestyle change that permanently alters your carb intake (either by type like whole grain or reduced number) to allow diet for your medical condition (I have no idea what PCOS is or what diet is appropiate - I highly suggest qualifed medical/nutrionalist consult) that you can live with to keep the weight off. 2) think slow and steady (1 pound a week) and eat in a way that you can sustain as a lifestyle change. I've opted for option 2 and eat everything but in moderation and am now aiming for 50% clean eating. It has taken 9 months to lose my weight and once I reach my goal weight, there will be little change in my eating so that I should be able to keep the weight off. I wish you the best of luck in making the right descision for you.
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do the South Beach Diet, b/c it allows you unlimited vegetables and you add in good carbs slowly. I like it b/c you aren't really doing low carb (I typically eat between 60-90 carbs on the diet plan, but have room for 50 more w/ excercise) but a low starch diet as you eliminate most foods high on the glycemic index, and then add in healthy starches slowly. I decided to give it a go, and am seeing results. But ultimately, you have to figure out what works for you. I am fine not eating all that many carbs for the rest of my life, but some people couldn't do that. Good luck!
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Don't cut carbs completely- they're in soooooooo many foods. I recommend limiting yourself to half the recommended portion of rice, pasta and potatoes and then trying not to eat more than 2 slices of low-carb bread a day (if in the UK,hovis Nimble Wholemeal is quite low-carb). Possibly just eat bread 5 days a week as well. Cereals etc are fine for breakfast. Cutting down on fat will help greatly but someone told me that it's just saturated fat that does the most damage so maybe watch how much you're eating of that. I've been doing fairly low-starchy-carbs (some days I screw up but doesn't everyone) and low fat since Oct 2009 (so just over 8 months) and lost 107 lbs- but i was huge to begin with!

I think though that sometimes you have to figure out your own diet rather than following guidelines- different people gain weight from different amounts of food etc. Try restricting different aspects of your diet for 2 week periods and see which makes you lose the most weight. Hope this helps! x
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    Please remember this...you have to be able to live with the eating plan you choose, it's a lifestyle change not a diet. You are in the right place, just counting calories is a great place to start. Good luck...I'm sure you'll figure it out.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    There is a website called www.soulcysters.com and there are many forums there filled with women doing a "lower" or "controlled" carb approach as this is the recommendation to control the symptoms of PCOS and to keep blood sugar in check to keep from insulin resistance becoming full blown diabetes.

I am sorry to say that if you want to get the symptoms under control, get the weight off and keep it off, a lower carb approach is what is going to be recommended by any doctor, nutritionist, dietician, endocrinologist.

Maybe look into The South Beach Plan. It is very similar to Atkins, but is lower fat and that is kind of what your looking for. You are still going to have to prepare your meals and such - just as you did with previously doing Atkins.

If I sound harsh or blunt, I don't mean to be that way. I have been in your shoes, ended up full blown diabetic and The Primal Blue Print and Atkins is what has gotten my bloos sugar under control and reversed back to Insulin Resistance.

Just giving you some food for thought.