Tonight I had a binge...

Options
Hi- Recently I have been gaining weight quickly and it seems to be a lot. I am getting so discouraged by my weight gain that it makes me want to eat, but stepping on the scale generally keeps me accountable. These are my recent weight recordings...

Weight 12/20/2014 125.2 lbs
Weight 12/19/2014 124 lbs
Weight 12/16/2014 125.4 lbs
Weight 12/15/2014 124.6 lbs
Weight 12/12/2014 123.8 lbs
Weight 12/11/2014 122.8 lbs

So roughly, in 9 days I have gained 2.4 lbs. I guess my question is, is this really possible? I know that tomorrow the scale will show another gain, I just am having such a hard time getting back on track. Please give me advice and help :)

I see a therapist regularly, but am unable to all of this month.
Thanks!

Replies

• IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    IamAddictedtoCoconuts Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't step on the scale so fast. Only do it once a week, the exact same day. I used to have a pretty serious binge eating problem so i know how it feels. Those 2.4 pounds are NOTHING at all :) You might think weighting yourself everyday helps you on track but it doesn't. Your weight changes throughout the day. Your body fluctuates, so the scale would tell you that you gaineded weight BUT it could be water retention from too much sodium or maybe you didn't go to the bathroom lol. So you see when you're checking yourself daily, all the factors comes in, these minor fluctuation will freak you out. For example, your december 11 to 12 shows 1 pound gained! Truth is you could be eating perfectly fine, but these fluctuations come in. So then you get discouraged and bam binging starts! To be more accurate one a week will show you how your weight is. Weight yourself, same day same time. Morning would be best. I would do it every Saturday morning when i would track my weight. Maybe start taking measurements and pictures of your body. Also just remember to keep going after a binge. But now now if you're binging there might be an underlying issue there, why do you binge eat? Is it only because of the scale? Sometimes food is like a coping mechanism, you kinda just eat to "ease the pain"
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's completely normal for your weight to fluctuate daily. This is why it is not recommended to weigh yourself every day. People who do this literally drive themselves insane. Weigh yourself once a week from now on.

ETA: The 2.4 lbs are not fat. It's water weight.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month, if that, usually on a Wednesday morning. Weight fluctuates DAILY due to so many variables that it's not worth getting on the scale every day.

Just get back on track, don't worry about the scale for a while. Maybe weigh yourself once every other week if you have to.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal for your weight to fluctuate daily. This is why it is not recommended to weigh yourself every day. People who do this literally drive themselves insane. Weigh yourself once a week from now on.

ETA: The 2.4 lbs are not fat. It's water weight.

Not necessarily...
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    How much weight is plausible? I mean is 2.4 lbs. possible?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How much weight is plausible? I mean is 2.4 lbs. possible?

2.4 lbs is plausible if you are really struggling with overeating and binges. I also think that there is some water weight fluctuation in that number. My advice is to take a step back, plan adequate, nutrient dense, balanced meals for the next day. Eat those, even if you binge or overeat. You sound discouraged and overwhelmed. Take it back to the basics-taking care of yourself. Focus on what you can do and less on what you are struggling with.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight!! :)
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    weight can fluctuate by a lot more than 2.4 lbs in a day actually....

For further reasons , here is the first article I found when googling the topic...

http://ontheregimen.com/2014/02/09/what-those-scale-weight-fluctuations-really-mean/
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations. What exactly was this binge? Also, can you open your diary?