Consistency

Options
Hello I'm new here, and I need some support with getting healthy. I am overweight, 182 to be exact, and I struggle with being motivated to exercise. I have done it consistently in the past, but due to thyroid problems I didn't get the results I wanted. My diet has never really been that great, but for some reason this year I have 'latched' on to soda and can't seem to stop which has made things worse. I want to start working out more consistently again, but feel like I'll never get anywhere with it, so it is hard to start up again.
I've tried whole 30 and another sugar diet to no avail. I did learn that I can't cold turkey lol.
Any tips or motivation will help!

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Try replacing soda with diet soda or low cal flavored water, or coffee. A small, but really positive change you can make is to not drink your calories. Your calories are much tastier and satisfying if you have to chew them first.
    Set a calorie goal with a deficit and try to hit it. Don't worry about what you eat right now, calories are what matter. However, if you want to feel fuller longer, then getting calories from protein and fiber rich sources will help a lot with that as you adjust to your deficit.
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    Options
    Haha cold turkey is the worst though! Tried that on chocolate once (clearly a horrible idea)
    Anyways how exactly is your diet? First things, clean it up. By that i mean start eating better. Cut down on the soda which will probably be tough, easiest way to do it: don't buy it anymore. Start packing your fridge with food you'll be eating. Most convenient are eggs, chicken(turkey etc.), greek yoghurt, get your rice in there. Personally i find that having a plan for food in the beginning helps. What do you like to eat? Mix it up but don't overdo it, cut out the junk food but you can still have them once a while if you really want to. If you're just starting eating better then you dont have to track your calories but you can. Initially in my first 3 months i never counted but still lost weight, i just kept it healthy and stopped eating when i was starting to feel full. But there's nothing wrong with learning about calories. It's all about baby steps. If you want to find more about your calories you can use this website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/. Also you'll be noticing it's easier in the beginning to see that weight come off. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to work out lol, literally just do it! But again why do you want to lose weight? Take that reason to the gym. There was always a quote that i liked: "But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, " Basically just keep going.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I used to like Coke Zero with a burger or pizza (just those times). I really like Perrier Lemon instead now, for the fizz, and it's got a nice light taste. (do not work for perrier)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hazuki1 wrote: »
    Hello I'm new here, and I need some support with getting healthy. I am overweight, 182 to be exact, and I struggle with being motivated to exercise. I have done it consistently in the past, but due to thyroid problems I didn't get the results I wanted. My diet has never really been that great, but for some reason this year I have 'latched' on to soda and can't seem to stop which has made things worse. I want to start working out more consistently again, but feel like I'll never get anywhere with it, so it is hard to start up again.
    I've tried whole 30 and another sugar diet to no avail. I did learn that I can't cold turkey lol.
    Any tips or motivation will help!

I was trying to give up sugar because I have abused carbs for 40 years but after two months I was still hitting anything with carbs in it. Got ticked the first of Oct and cold turkey'ed the carbs (<50g daily). Being free from carbs makes me feel better due to not sugar crashes all of the time. and on average I have lost a pound a week and the old hungry pains (carb cravings) are gone.

One doctor said many people can drop 20 pounds a year by just grabbing water vs. soda.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I did the cold turkey from ginger ale to soda water or club soda a few years ago.
    Put some lemon or lime in for flavour. If you desperately miss the sugar get some stevia drops, 0 calories natural sweetener, or mix a simple syrup and add a tea spoon, not ideal, but certainly less sugar than soda pop, and you can wean yourself off it.
    Cheers, h.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hazuki1 wrote: »
    I am overweight, 182 to be exact, and I struggle with being motivated to exercise. I have done it consistently in the past, but due to thyroid problems I didn't get the results I wanted.

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

The results you get from exercise have zero to do with your thyroid. And unreasonable expectations are definitely a motivation killer! If you explain what results you're hoping to get from exercise, then people can give you advice about how to get (and stay motivated).

If you mean you stopped exercising because you didn't lose as much weight as you thought you would, that's easy. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—but it's human nature to both underestimate your food & overestimate your burns. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Get a kitchen scale and weigh absolutely everything—even packaged food.

The best exercise is one you enjoy—so you'll look forward to doing it. Joining a class is very motivating—you'll waste money if you don't go, and your classmates'll notice your absence.