Breastfeeding

Options
Hi,
For those of you breastfeeding, how many additional calories will you consume on a daily basis? I am breastfeeding a 3 month old but still would like to shead some serious pounds (but I also want to protect my milk supply).

Thank you in advance for your insight!

Replies

• lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I stay around 1800 calories total. MFP tells me I should take in 1200 to lose 2lbs per week so I guess that is 600 extra per day. i am losing about 1lb per week but if my calories drop any lower my milk goes down.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You burn 20 calories an ounce. Most people throw in Breastfeeding as a 500 calorie exercise.
    I pumped. I got 30oz a day so mine was 600 calories.
  • 53pounds
    53pounds Posts: 3
    Options
    So, do I count breastfeeding as "exercise" or just up my calories that MFP gave me to an additional 500 calories that I should consume?
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My LO is 18 months, and we still BF several times a day and at night. I figure I'm on the low end of what I burn for BF, but I dont specifically count the calories. I aim to eat between 1600-1800 before exercise (I'm on maintenance calories, not trying to lose now). And FWIW, I'm 5'10" 136 lb.

Good luck!
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So, do I count breastfeeding as "exercise" or just up my calories that MFP gave me to an additional 500 calories that I should consume?

Up to you! The latter worked better for me.