ladies 5x5 and 5'3"

Options
Reading through the topic posted by Jessalee I am now officially confused.

I am 5'3" 144lb, with a 9-5 desk job and am in my 3rd month of 5x5. I only lift 3xa week and do no extra exercise. If you have similar stats and routine I would LOVE to know what your maintenance calorie total is and what your losing calorie goal is.

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    hello! I am also 5' 3", I weigh 114 and I work a full time desk job. I do strong curves 3 days a week, and from what I can tell calculating my TDEE using my own Log is that I maintain around roughly 1800. I'm only trying to lose a few pounds before switching to maintenance while continuing to lift, but I'm trying to stay around 1400 or 1500 calories. last week and this upcoming week makes it extremely difficult though, lol.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the info! It's good to know I'm in the right ballpark for calories. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Reading through the topic posted by Jessalee I am now officially confused.

I am 5'3" 144lb, with a 9-5 desk job and am in my 3rd month of 5x5. I only lift 3xa week and do no extra exercise. If you have similar stats and routine I would LOVE to know what your maintenance calorie total is and what your losing calorie goal is.

I'm a half inch taller than you, just under 150, and my maintenance is around 1900-2100, depending on activity level. I am eating around 1600 to lose,but I'm mostly recomping so I eat anywhere between 1600 and maintenance.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, weight 145 and do a little lifting maybe three times a week. (Just starting out) My maintanance is around 1850.
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Well its good to know I'm eating roughly where others are (1500-1800) I am just annoyed that the scale shows no change...the tape measure shows no change...the only difference I can see is that my thighs are slightly less wobbly.

Frustrating.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    At 5' 3", 40 yrs old, 120 lbs, desk job and lifting 3x per week, my maintenance is calculated at 1540 cals. In real life, I lost slowly on that much food, felt tired much of the time, lifts stalled out and started to go backwards.

I'm not doing anywhere near the same routine now - picked up running just because. Don't know if this might help you since it's so different, but I'll post it anyway. I'm 117 lbs now. Lifting 2x per week, running 28-32 miles per wk depending on how I feel. At 3 wks in, weight has been stable on around 2100-2200 cals per day, feeling good, and lifts are slowly improving again. Still not sure if this is really maintenance for me, or not. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm in a small surplus ...
  • Mistraal1981
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi stealthq, thank you for the reply. Its interesting to hear your maintenance numbers.

I'm not sure what to make of what my body is doing. I do want to lose fat to show the muscle that is being developed through lifting, but I'm loathe to drop lower than 1500 to make it happen as I also get tired quicker and lack energy if I go lower than that.

I wonder what the ladies who are lucly enough to be losing while eating 1800-2100 calories on 3 days of lifting are doing that I'm not :(.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi stealthq, thank you for the reply. Its interesting to hear your maintenance numbers.

I'm not sure what to make of what my body is doing. I do want to lose fat to show the muscle that is being developed through lifting, but I'm loathe to drop lower than 1500 to make it happen as I also get tired quicker and lack energy if I go lower than that.

I wonder what the ladies who are lucly enough to be losing while eating 1800-2100 calories on 3 days of lifting are doing that I'm not :(.

It is likely that they are taller...it is also likely that they are dong more than just lifting weights a few days per week. They may also have more physically demanding jobs, etc.

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm 35, 5'3, 125lbs. I started with 5x5; I've switched to 5/3/1, which I prefer b/c I can deadlift more weight more often. I think my maintenance cals are set at 1550. I always eat more. Probably closer to 1800-1900 during the week (which is maintenance plus most if not all exercise cals). I've lost 10 lbs over the last year and a half with out "dieting." And I'm waaaay stronger. I do about 30 mins of low intensity cardio after strength.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 149 lbs. My maintenance calories calculate anywhere between 1860 and a little over 2000. Realistically, about 1900 is probably right. This gets me kind of down because I wish I could maintain on 2200! I'm eating anywhere between 1650 and 1800 now and not really losing, as I have no been too careful.