Has anyone given up bread pasta and potatoes?

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    no...why would I? those things are yummy and good for me...in reasonable amounts.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have not done this, and would never, unless I developed a medical problem that required it. Yes, I think it would be hard to stick with, especially since you wrote that you usually eat one or the other for dinner every day. I'd think you should be able to just have less of them, cutting back to your calorie goal, and be fine. Personally, I'd much rather have pasta at dinner than a Nature's Valley bar as a snack, but that's cause I don't like those. :)
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes for me
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Not a freakin' chance!!!! I have carbs everyday :) Pasta at least once a week..

NO WHITE FLOUR!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I haven't given them up, but I rarely eat them and I don't miss them when I don't have them. I fill up on fruits and veggies and the main protein dish of the meal.
  • baozytools12
    Options
    I EAT GRAINS ALL DAY ER DAYYYY
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes I am trying to cut out breads and other starches.

It's hard though. Who doesn't love a loaded potato!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I hardly eat pasta or rice anyway, it can sometimes make me feel like my tummy is bloated and full
    I limit bread, it seems to drain my energy a bit. And I was only have 2 slices a day max.
    Potatoes I have a few times a week, yum spuds !
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have mostly set aside potatoes, pasta and bread. I use my fork now, instead of using bread as a handle or food, but I do have the occasional soft pretzel or pizza.

I believe if I say NEVER, I will crash and burn. But I am always honest and journal it.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary. And just plain wrong. I will never give up bread, pasta, and potatoes. They are delicious and have no effect or impact on weight loss unless you're eating enough of them to put you into a caloric surplus.

Just maintain a calorie deficit and exercise, you will lose weight. Slow and steady is fine. And stop listening to your trainer when it comes to nutrition advice.

Bread and pasta are WRONG for people with gluten intolerance, allergies or sensitivity. I'm one of those people who prefers NOT to eat them, because several long standing health issues went away when I removed gluten from my diet.

I can live without bread and pasta, but WILL have some if I really want it. I just tend to turn my nose up at all baked goods, bread and pasta because I don't crave them and I get really bloated if I eat too much of it.
  • s1hern
    s1hern Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had to give up bread and pasta for about 31/2 months. It was diffcult at first, because I love pasta, but after a while I notice a difference in my weight. I havent had potatoes in aver 5 months, which wasent very hard. You should try giving up one item at a time, thats how I did it. I started to eat gluten free pasta, because it was low on calories. At times it felt so hard, but it felt good to loose weight.
  • QueenAmongPrincesses
    Options
    I have cut them out dramatically, but not all together. I have been told we do need some of these carbs, but very very little. I know myself, the moment I think I can totally wipe something out of my diet that I LOVE, I'll want it ten fold! Good luck!!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have given up pasta 100%...bread..no...but not as much....Potatoes? Just once a week at most...works for me! :)
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yep. I love them but I was told by my doctor for me personally I should not eat them. My health history is a no no for these
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    When I had to give up wheat, I started eating potatoes again. I'm grumpy if I don't eat some carbs, not the giant ration of carbs that MFP allows, but a bit with every meal. I like gluten free pasta too, like quinoa or rice.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally. I just haven't been eating them. The "healthier" bread (Ezekiel) was upsetting my stomach and I don't like most wheat breads. Pasta seems like a pain to make when I get home from work, as do potatoes. We've been eating brown rice though.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Haven't given them up, just switched them around a bit. Whole wheat bread..actually I've been using the whole wheat thin buns for sandwiches. Brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice. I never really ate that many potatoes, but I try to go with sweet potatoes or yam. Though, they all have nutritional qualities. As for pasta, I buy more expensive stuff. I can't stand the taste and texture of the whole wheat kind, so I switched to quinoa pasta and shirataki noodles. I've really been enjoying the shirataki. A bag in northern Minnesota costs about $2, and the whole bag is 40 calories. The quinoa pasta costs more and you get less...but I NEED pasta that bad, I'll eat the expensive stuff.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it fits within my calories and macros.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have :). Not because I don't love them but for a metabolic disorder...
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with pasta made with quinoa or having a grilled or steamed sweet potatoe. I have a cheat day and I have a scoop of trder joe's cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream and a slither of cake or a cheese bread only half. I always keep in mind that I have to log that in. Enjoy, we don't have to give up the things we like just modify and enjoy. I hope this was helpful.